Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3732 posts
801 upvotes
centre of universe

Is it worth reparing old microwaves?

So after years the Panasonic one is making noise with burning smell. Found the problem is microwave turntable motor. So it worth or just buy new one $150-200 range?
Images
  • Panasonic1.jpg
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
29 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3732 posts
801 upvotes
centre of universe
Nice find. Thanks. I will check with them (reliableparts) if its is available. May be I can fix it by tomorrow.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1211 posts
760 upvotes
Vancouver
Microwaves are very commoditized. Even the magnetron inside, comes as a separate unit and is often interchangeable
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4962 posts
1841 upvotes
Costs less to buy a new one. Goto Costco
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1167 posts
707 upvotes
callernamet wrote: So after years the Panasonic one is making noise with burning smell. Found the problem is microwave turntable motor. So it worth or just buy new one $150-200 range?
ya it's a fun project, why not? You seem pretty handy since when I took my microwave apart I didnt even think to salvage the motor for it. I didnt even see it when I opened the microwave.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2064 posts
1046 upvotes
London
callernamet wrote: So after years the Panasonic one is making noise with burning smell. Found the problem is microwave turntable motor. So it worth or just buy new one $150-200 range?
You've already done the hard part (diagnosis and disassembly), that would stump most.
I'd fix it, for the price.

I don't beat the environment drum, but do what I can when it makes sense.
Hypocritically, some would get on the bandwagon, yet be the same ones saying toss it.
In this case, repair just makes sense.
jdmfishingonly wrote: Costs less to buy a new one. Goto Costco
They have $18 microwaves?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3732 posts
801 upvotes
centre of universe
good responses by all.
Yes it is fun taking things apart as it comes easily for me. As shabby said I gave them model number and they are checking stock and compatibility of that motor.
Ca not believe the model is from 1996. imo worth spending $20 or so for the repair. Part availability is to be checked at Scarborough location which is not for me.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6447 posts
2903 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
New MWs may not last very long Recent (as in past decade) Panasonics are said to be pretty cheaply built and break (plastic parts such as door locks).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4962 posts
1841 upvotes
arisk wrote: They have $18 microwaves?
Thrift store or salvation army are your choices.

Better yet ... Look at the curbside when you drive around.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6447 posts
2903 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
jdmfishingonly wrote: Better yet ... Look at the curbside when you drive around.
That's the current MW we have. Moving into the new-to-us house with a dead OTR MW that was not OTR. Found a Kenmore MW on the side of the road. Only problem with it is the mechanical dial timer won't count down if set above 5 mins.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Apr 18, 2017
711 posts
1380 upvotes
jdmfishingonly wrote: Thrift store or salvation army are your choices.

Better yet ... Look at the curbside when you drive around.
So...not Costco then?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4962 posts
1841 upvotes
User131439 wrote: So...not Costco then?
Save the money and go use your neighbour's
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17231 posts
10001 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jdmfishingonly wrote: Costs less to buy a new one. Goto Costco
You can buy a new microwave at COSTCO for less than$18 which is the cost of the part to repair it since the OP already isolated the issue?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17231 posts
10001 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
callernamet wrote: good responses by all.
Yes it is fun taking things apart as it comes easily for me. As shabby said I gave them model number and they are checking stock and compatibility of that motor.
Ca not believe the model is from 1996. imo worth spending $20 or so for the repair. Part availability is to be checked at Scarborough location which is not for me.
My parents still have a microwave from the '80s and its working just fine. BTW> While you are in there, I would give the internals a good cleaning as the oils and grease from the warming of the foods builds up after a while.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1167 posts
707 upvotes
newer microwaves also tend to die faster, especially with the shorter-lasting magnetrons . If this is an older one, it is worth fixing for a motor.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3732 posts
801 upvotes
centre of universe
evilYoda wrote: newer microwaves also tend to die faster, especially with the shorter-lasting magnetrons . If this is an older one, it is worth fixing for a motor.
This.

I have 25+ year old fridges running great ( not discussing power consumption) than my friends replacing their new ones. or repairing in couple of years.
This was in news discussed in some new. May be CBC or CTV. The amount of crap Walmart sells from China I think this will get worse.
craftsman wrote: My parents still have a microwave from the '80s and its working just fine. BTW> While you are in there, I would give the internals a good cleaning as the oils and grease from the warming of the foods builds up after a while.
I did and that is how it ran for few more years. Last time I had problem It just wont power on. like this the fuse blew. It costed about $2 or so to replace that. So $2 for about 8 years is not bad.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1167 posts
707 upvotes
Just be careful taking apart older microwaves magnettrons they used beryllium oxide which is fatal when inhaled. The more recent ones use aluminum oxide which is fine.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19299 posts
22277 upvotes
evilYoda wrote: Just be careful taking apart older microwaves magnettrons they used beryllium oxide which is fatal when inhaled. The more recent ones use aluminum oxide which is fine.
Or maybe just buy a new microwave for $50.

How much are your time and lungs worth?

Microwaves still last for years, and they're economical to replace.

This sounds like a DIY project for the curious, not for the economically conscious.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17231 posts
10001 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
callernamet wrote: I did and that is how it ran for few more years. Last time I had problem It just wont power on. like this the fuse blew. It costed about $2 or so to replace that. So $2 for about 8 years is not bad.
The fuse is actually the most common issue with microwaves for the past few decades. I used to work in electronics retail and when we used to send microwaves off for warranty repairs, the vast majority (over 80%) of the issues were from blown thermal ceramic fuses which while not widely known, they are easily available at Canadian Tire.