Home & Garden

Is it worth switching to a push sink drain?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2020 5:34 pm
[OP]
May 2, 2014
200 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Is it worth switching to a push sink drain?

I am replacing my bathroom faucet, which has a lift rod mechanism for closing and opening the sink drain hole. I just realized that the new faucets i bought came with a push drain cover.

Is this a deal breaker? Should i stick with my purchase of a press drain cover or should i return it and buy a lift rod setup?

Current drain set-up: photo
Current drain cover: photo
Just purchased press-down drain cover: photo
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7976 posts
3897 upvotes
Paris
I prefer a lever though honestly I think that soap/hair build up in it easier and I need to clean it more. I also think it doesnt seal as well.

After typing all that out, now I think levers kind of suck.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4924 posts
2109 upvotes
ausername wrote: I am replacing my bathroom faucet, which has a lift rod mechanism for closing and opening the sink drain hole. I just realized that the new faucets i bought came with a push drain cover.

Is this a deal breaker? Should i stick with my purchase of a press drain cover or should i return it and buy a lift rod setup?

Do you use the plug? If so you’ll have to change it. The Pfister faucet you bought won’t come with the required channel in the faucet body for the mechanical lift rod
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
May 2, 2014
200 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Red_Army wrote: Do you use the plug? If so you’ll have to change it. The Pfister faucet you bought won’t come with the required channel in the faucet body for the mechanical lift rod
Long time no see Red_Army Smiling Face With Open Mouth

It is actually a Moen Tiffin faucet. as you suspected, the faucet has no on-board button to activate the drain cover. The drain cover is only activated by pressing on it.
The tailpiece (with a hole for the overfill) and the drain cover is included in the box.

Is the conversion straight forward?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4924 posts
2109 upvotes
ausername wrote: Long time no see Red_Army Smiling Face With Open Mouth

It is actually a Moen Tiffin faucet. as you suspected, the faucet has no on-board button to activate the drain cover. The drain cover is only activated by pressing on it.
The tailpiece (with a hole for the overfill) and the drain cover is included in the box.

Is the conversion straight forward?
I forgot Moen is now using the same type of plastic push drains as Pfister.

Pretty straight forward, they install the exact same way as any other PO drain, minus the mechanical rod of course
Last edited by Red_Army on Jan 2nd, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7306 posts
2161 upvotes
Maple
I have this push/pull when I purchased Pfister bathroom sink faucet for my master suite. I like it. It is easier to clean.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17612 posts
4246 upvotes
Toronto
I hate reaching down into the murky dirty water to unplug the drain.
[OP]
May 2, 2014
200 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Red_Army wrote: I forgot Moen is now using the same type of plastic push drains as Pfister.

Pretty straight forward, they install the exact same way as any other PO drain, minus the mechanical rod of course
I am trying to remove the tail piece, but from above the sink and below the sink are things that stick out, preventing it from being able to be pulled out and removed through the sink hole. The drain flange is seized and cannot be removed.
Since the tail pipe is loose, it has to be held while attempting the unscrew the flange, which adds further difficulty (i guess i could refasten the pipe).

I have even thought to get a hacksaw to cut the pipe into two pieces, right above the red line in this photo
or perhaps an extractor tool may be better?

Any ideas?

photo of the seized flange: photo
photo of below the sink. the thing sticking it is for the drain plug lever. photo
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4924 posts
2109 upvotes
If you can’t unscrew the top flanged piece (seized) try vice grips. If that doesn’t work or if you don’t have vice grips then cutting where you suggested will allow you to remove it as well. I would probably avoid cutting unless necessary and see if I can bend /break off the top flange
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7256 posts
3574 upvotes
Alberta
We have the push type drain plug made by Kohler in 3 sinks. I like them better then the pull/lift type.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16768 posts
1671 upvotes
Thornhill
ausername wrote: I am replacing my bathroom faucet, which has a lift rod mechanism for closing and opening the sink drain hole. I just realized that the new faucets i bought came with a push drain cover.

I think a push-drain is trendy. I put them in all my drains now. But the whole idea is kind of weird... you have to put your fingers into a pool of dirty water to release it. Yuck.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)