• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2022 4:49 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 16, 2009
105 posts
28 upvotes

Is It Worth Taking Eye Vitamins?

The last time I was at my optometrist, she mentioned something about my eyes were "degenerating rapidly" and that I would need to get multifocal lenses soon (for Presbyopia). It seems supplementation (Lutein/Zeaxanthin) is useful for age-related Macular Degeneration (ARMD) which I had thought was the same as Presbyopia (but isn't), and the chances of actually getting ARMD are pretty low. So would it be useful to take Lutein/Zeaxanthin supplementation for Presbyopia? I can't find much info on that.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7742 posts
5406 upvotes
SW ON
The term is from Greek πρέσβυς presbys meaning "old" and ὤψ ōps meaning "sight"
The condition was mentioned as early as the writings of Aristotle in the 4th century BC.[29] Glass lenses first came into use for the problem in the late 13th century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia

It is a normal condition for ageing people. If vitamins could help you wouldn't see old people around you. Just get multifocal lenses. Modern progressive lenses are great. There is no sharp transition. You won't notice that you have presbyopia and other people won't know that you are wearing multifocal lenses because they look like regular ones.
Banned
Mar 24, 2022
63 posts
89 upvotes
No, lutein and other similar supplements marketed for eyes is a complete waste of money.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2761 posts
4186 upvotes
West
There's nothing you can really do vitamin/supplementation-wise for presbyopia. After the age of ~40, your eyes just lose the ability to see close, period, hence why so many people have reading glasses.

techcyberman wrote: No, lutein and other similar supplements marketed for eyes is a complete waste of money.
Not true. They may be helpful in preventing or slowing the progression of ARMD.