None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
6094 posts
628 upvotes
Kanata

Worth upgrading Asus TP500L to SSD?

Bought an Asus TP500L-UB31T convertible laptop for parents to use last Christmas,
It comes with a Core i3 processor, 4G ram and 500G hard drive, and 1366*768 15.6 touch screen.

Parents' use is very light, but I know deep down that changing the HD to a SSD is going to speed up things quite a lot.
But is it worth to upgrade this laptop with an extra 4G ram and another SSD? Is it easy to do it + clone the HD for this laptop.
Also, I want minimum hassle and once changed there will be no support from me if things goes wrong afterwards,
I also want to keep cost down since I bought the laptop because it is cheap, otherwise I would be looking at 1080p, IPS panel, Core i5 at least.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2010 posts
1047 upvotes
GTA
Save money on the RAM if the usage is very light, no need. 4GB is plenty, though are you sure its not a 6GB model? I know those have a max limit of 8GB.

I would go for a 250GB or 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, (depending how much storage you need) as they are one of the "better" consumer grade SSD's out there, have had very good experience with them, I own 4 myself personally. They have their own cloning software which is very easy to use and SSD performance software.

Upgrading is very easy, usually you flip the book over and there is a panel indication (most likely a HDD symbol) that shows you where the drive is located, usually held in by one screw, sometimes two. Make sure to remove the battery before doing any servicing. Usually the 2.5" drive slides out with some force and you plop the new one in, but you clone the drive first before putting it into the laptop. It's very easy to do.

There is also freeware software that I recommend. Macrium Reflect - very easy to use and setup if you don't want to use the built in Samsung software.
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

So, again save the money on the RAM and spend that extra money on a higher quality TLC NAND SSD. Samsung 850 EVO, Intel 535 series, San Disk Ultra II or Extreme.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20407 posts
8437 upvotes
Toronto
An SSD upgrade would definitely be worthwhile for such a new machine. I just completed this upgrade on a 2 year old laptop. The start up time dropped from around 3 minutes to under 10 seconds. All disk intensive actions are now virtually instantaneous.

Since the laptop is for relatively light use, there is no need to pay the Samsung premium for a SSD. If the 500 gig HDD is only lightly loaded with data, then a 240 gig SSD would suffice. Otherwise look for a 480 gig model. Keep an eye on the hot deals threads as there seems to be a deal post almost every week. A reasonably price 480 gig is easily under $150 and as low as $120. Expect to pay slightly more than half these numbers for a 240 gig. As for increasing the ram, I would do it. Ram is cheap. Right now 4 gig sticks are around $20 regular price. The money saved on not buying a Samsung evo SSD will cover the ram upgrade cost.

As for drive cloning, just macrium reflect free edition. It is dead simple to use and the price is right.
Jun 8, 2012
476 posts
2 upvotes
HAMILTON
I think depending on the laptop 4gb should be enough, though adding more couldn't hurt, again, only if the ram slots are accessible without having to take the thing apart.

Some laptops have some slots available just by removing the cover. If u decide to add more, make sure it's the same make if possible. On the rare occasion some wiil not play nice with others or can cause crashes and lock ups.

The biggest gain for them would be the SSD. There's a free cloning software called Macrium Reflect.

I've used it about 20 times now without issue.

It doesn't need to be the latest and greatest in this case either, even the older ssds, sata 2 or 3, r pretty quick. I have an older OCZ sata 2 which works pretty good and these would be cheaper still.