Computers & Electronics

Worthwhile to replace HDD in a 5 year old Corei7 laptop ?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2018 10:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3476 posts
706 upvotes

Worthwhile to replace HDD in a 5 year old Corei7 laptop ?

The laptop is about 5-6 years old and hard drive is failing and I'm curious whether it's worthwhile just to replace it with an SSD or better buy a new one ?I was looking at that Crucial SSD MX300 for $ 76.00. I would not be looking to transfer any data or anything for that matter. It will be mainly used for surfing, YouTube.

Asus R500A K55A.
Core i7 3630QM, 8gb. Other than the hard drive I guess everything appears to be fine. I suppose my big concern is that it's about 5 or 6 years old.

Thanks.
Last edited by tkl on Aug 14th, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
18 replies
Jun 14, 2010
366 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like it’s still a great computer for doing most everything except gaming or heavy work loads.

I think spending $76 on an SSD is a great idea. Especially if it had an HDD before, it will be much snappier and responsive with an SSD.
Jun 13, 2018
22 posts
13 upvotes
Go for it. Download the Win 10 installer to a USB stick. It'll automatically apply the key if you had Win 10 already. Its in the bios.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5499 posts
1083 upvotes
Montreal
Definitely do the SSD thing although $76 is for a small size. I'd spend more and get an SSD with 500GB.
Phils
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17602 posts
4230 upvotes
Toronto
Most definitely do the SSD upgrade. It will feel like a brand new machine. Given your workloads, and if you don't need more than 8 GB RAM, you would be able to get another several years out of it. Just make sure to get a size that is at least 50% bigger than the most you think you'll ever use. The reason for this over-sizing the drive helps maintain performance and people generally underestimate their usage. You don't want an SSD that is 90% full. If you think you only ever need say 60 GB, then 120 GB is fine. However, if you think you need 120 GB, then get 240. (Not much point to look for a 180 GB drive these days.)

That CPU is actually still pretty fast even by 2018 standards. In fact, it's over twice as fast as my very peppy-feeling fanless MacBook I bought brand new in 2017. I'm running a 4.5 Watt TDP Core m3-7Y32 albeit with 16 GB and PCIe SSD.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7300 posts
2161 upvotes
Maple
Definitely. You will see much faster boot time and much less noise with SSD.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
13156 posts
6190 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
teoconca wrote: Definitely. You will see much faster boot time and much less noise with SSD.
Battery life should be longer as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3476 posts
706 upvotes
Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying a Samsung EVO 860, 250 gb. $ 81.00 taxes in delivered with the staples using coupons.

I've never had a computer with a SSD but it doesn't look too difficult to install.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
13156 posts
6190 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
tkl wrote: Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying a Samsung EVO 860, 250 gb. $ 81.00 taxes in delivered with the staples using coupons.

I've never had a computer with a SSD but it doesn't look too difficult to install.
If you can install a regular hard drive, you can install an SSD. If anything SSDs are easier to install as you don't have to worry as much about bumping the darn thing.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
2017 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
Now, you'll never be able to go back to mechanical HDD.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3476 posts
706 upvotes
xxgg wrote: Now, you'll never be able to go back to mechanical HDD.
Boot to desktop , 7 seconds !
Installed Windows 10 in about 2 minutes ?
What is this **** ? I'm used to walking away to get my coffee during the boot process, now I have to adjust my routine !
Heatware 3-0
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
13744 posts
14128 upvotes
tkl wrote: Boot to desktop , 7 seconds !
Installed Windows 10 in about 2 minutes ?
What is this **** ? I'm used to walking away to get my coffee during the boot process, now I have to adjust my routine !
Life is generally better on an SSD. Congrats.
>> Govt. Relief for Businesses: 75% Wage Subsidy <<

COVID-19 Etiquette
Whatever your personal opinion, please respect hygiene and PPE guidelines and mandates laid down by (1) government, (2) private establishments.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
633 upvotes
NORTH YORK
tkl wrote: The laptop is about 5-6 years old and hard drive is failing and I'm curious whether it's worthwhile just to replace it with an SSD or better buy a new one ?I was looking at that Crucial SSD MX300 for $ 76.00. I would not be looking to transfer any data or anything for that matter. It will be mainly used for surfing, YouTube.
Definitely recommended. I am still using workhorse (Lenovo W520 i7, Win 7). Zero complaint with SSD.
Also after upgrading your SSD can be transferred to the new machine when you upgrade later . That is not a waste.
Mechanical drive is useless now as iCloud has taken care of the extra space you need for storage
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
13156 posts
6190 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
danieltoronto wrote: Definitely recommended. I am still using workhorse (Lenovo W520 i7, Win 7). Zero complaint with SSD.
Also after upgrading your SSD can be transferred to the new machine when you upgrade later . That is not a waste.
Mechanical drive is useless now as iCloud has taken care of the extra space you need for storage
Forget about iCloud.... BIG SSDs are just cheap now. Why download from the cloud when you can have it local?
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3616 posts
901 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: Definitely recommended. I am still using workhorse (Lenovo W520 i7, Win 7). Zero complaint with SSD.
and
craftsman wrote: Forget about iCloud.... BIG SSDs are just cheap now. Why download from the cloud when you can have it local?
3-2-1 is a good backup system. 2 copies locally and one off site on the cloud.