Worthy successor to Pixel 2XL

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2023 3:49 pm
Tags:
Nov 8, 2020
76 posts
38 upvotes

Worthy successor to Pixel 2XL

My Pixel 2XL, which has been an awesome phone (I love the camera, rear fingerprint scanner, nice integration with Google home and Pay, and squeeze to activate assistant), is finally showing its age with the battery dying faster and now the power button starting to give up. Weighing the options of limping along using the accessibility features to avoid using the power button, repairing the phone, or buying a replacement.

Pixel 7 has a design issue causing the camera glass to shatter, avoiding Chinese things like OnePlus.

Are there any good deals on something at least as solid as the Pixel 2XL, or maybe even something that would be a noticable upgrade? I'm with Public Mobile currently and I'm willing to wait for a sale, if that matters.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2696 posts
592 upvotes
North York
It's getting old now, but the pixel 4a has been great so far. Substantially more polished than the nexus line which got me to avoid their phones for a while.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2006
1158 posts
465 upvotes
What are your needs and wants plus budget ?

If you are satisfied with the PIxel 2XL, why don`t you get another one ? They are pretty cheap on Kijiji, $125 to $150 range.

A number of people just do simple stuff like email, text, phone call, browsing. The Pixel 2XL easily does that. And it sounds like you are already satisfied with the Pixel camera so newer camera is not a deal breaker.

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-cell-phone/city ... 73?rb=true
Aug 18, 2019
442 posts
420 upvotes
Get the genuine battery replacement from ifixit canada.
~teslanaire2bitcoinaireButStillCheapLurking@RFDForDeals~
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1172 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
fastmiele wrote: What are your needs and wants plus budget ?

If you are satisfied with the PIxel 2XL, why don`t you get another one ? They are pretty cheap on Kijiji, $125 to $150 range.

A number of people just do simple stuff like email, text, phone call, browsing. The Pixel 2XL easily does that. And it sounds like you are already satisfied with the Pixel camera so newer camera is not a deal breaker.

You forgot that the pixel 2xl stopped getting android updates a while back, and soon not many apps will work on it.

Even if he does custom rom, it might not have the power/memory to handle newer android versions.
Nov 8, 2020
76 posts
38 upvotes
fastmiele wrote: What are your needs and wants plus budget ?

The primary thing I care about would be the camera. Aside from taking pictures, I mainly use my phone for web browsing, watching YouTube, Google maps, controlling smart plugs in my home, and email/messaging. I would like a phone that feels snappy, but I don't game on it or anything like that.

I could do $1k-ish, but I don't love the idea of carrying that around in my pocket, so any way to get the cost down would be great.

If I'm staying with the Pixel 2XL a while longer (until it really stops working due to software limitations) then I'd either repair or just make due with my phone in its current state.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2006
1158 posts
465 upvotes
mawzi wrote: You forgot that the pixel 2xl stopped getting android updates a while back, and soon not many apps will work on it.

Even if he does custom rom, it might not have the power/memory to handle newer android versions.
It may of stopped getting support but does it matter for the OP ? If he is just going to do use it for text, email, phone call, some internet browsing and Youtube. I don`t think it will make much difference imo.

For short term (1-2 years) I think he may be fine.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2006
1158 posts
465 upvotes
ThePiGuy wrote: The primary thing I care about would be the camera. Aside from taking pictures, I mainly use my phone for web browsing, watching YouTube, Google maps, controlling smart plugs in my home, and email/messaging. I would like a phone that feels snappy, but I don't game on it or anything like that.

I could do $1k-ish, but I don't love the idea of carrying that around in my pocket, so any way to get the cost down would be great.

If I'm staying with the Pixel 2XL a while longer (until it really stops working due to software limitations) then I'd either repair or just make due with my phone in its current state.
From your information, it sounds like you are kind of in the middle of everything. You would be willing to pay quite a bit money for a new device but concerned of carrying it in your pocket (I am assume you are carrying your 2XL in your pocket now).
So how about buying a new Google phone from the BST phone thread. You would be getting a brand new one at a good price. Have a look at this one seller, he has a couple of new or near new phones.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/pixel-6 ... y-2597809/
Last edited by fastmiele on Feb 3rd, 2023 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4808 posts
1803 upvotes
ThePiGuy wrote: My Pixel 2XL, which has been an awesome phone (I love the camera, rear fingerprint scanner, nice integration with Google home and Pay, and squeeze to activate assistant), is finally showing its age with the battery dying faster and now the power button starting to give up. Weighing the options of limping along using the accessibility features to avoid using the power button, repairing the phone, or buying a replacement.

Pixel 7 has a design issue causing the camera glass to shatter, avoiding Chinese things like OnePlus.

Are there any good deals on something at least as solid as the Pixel 2XL, or maybe even something that would be a noticable upgrade? I'm with Public Mobile currently and I'm willing to wait for a sale, if that matters.
Where did you hear this?

Comeon?? Fake news, The best bang for the $$ is Google devices.. dont spread this bs...or look at the motorola thread now for cheap value devices.
Aug 18, 2019
442 posts
420 upvotes
EEE2 wrote: Where did you hear this?

Comeon?? Fake news, The best bang for the $$ is Google devices.. dont spread this bs...or look at the motorola thread now for cheap value devices.
This is correct. Don't buy cheap Chinese branded phones. When they're shipped all seems well initially. But after software update, they'll inject malwares there to steal and track you for the rest of your life now that they know where you live, who you hang out with, where you go, your router MAC address, your accounts' passwords, banking info, and websites you visit, etc.

All private Chinese companies are extension of CCP apparatus and must work with the state. It's ingrained in their law.
~teslanaire2bitcoinaireButStillCheapLurking@RFDForDeals~
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4808 posts
1803 upvotes
clueless dude wrote:
This is correct. Don't buy cheap Chinese branded phones. When they're shipped all seems well initially. But after software update, they'll inject malwares there to steal and track you for the rest of your life now that they know where you live, who you hang out with, where you go, your router MAC address, your accounts' passwords, banking info, and websites you visit, etc.

All private Chinese companies are extension of CCP apparatus and must work with the state. It's ingrained in their law.
Forgive I wasn't trying to say what you said was wrong. i was trying to ask you where did you hear the pixel 7 cracks.
Sep 24, 2008
335 posts
351 upvotes
downtown toronto
had pixel 2 xl since launch, switched to pixel 7 few months ago for $9 a month over 2 years and love it . seen a few posts on reddit google pixel sub about broken camera glass, but im not too concerned
Banned
Oct 3, 2022
201 posts
228 upvotes
Likewise, but only switched to P7 after xmas when phone continuously didn't hold a charge for 24hrs. However, I bought it outright for $560 from Google.

I do miss the camera quality / usability of the 2XL
brad416 wrote: had pixel 2 xl since launch, switched to pixel 7 few months ago for $9 a month over 2 years and love it . seen a few posts on reddit google pixel sub about broken camera glass, but im not too concerned
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17376 upvotes
Markham
Alocasi4 wrote: Likewise, but only switched to P7 after xmas when phone continuously didn't hold a charge for 24hrs. However, I bought it outright for $560 from Google.

I do miss the camera quality / usability of the 2XL
You miss the camera quality of the 2XL vs the P7? The P7 is a much better phone.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!