Home & Garden

Would a 16 Gauge Nail Gun be a good "all around" nail gun?

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2020 5:37 pm
Tags:
13 replies
Nov 6, 2014
568 posts
863 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
16 gauge is good for trim work like baseboards, fixing hardwood and crown molding though it will leave a slightly larger hole than 18 gauge. 16/18 shouldn't be appropriate for any structural woodwork like nailing 2x lumber together.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4520 posts
996 upvotes
18 is way better for trim

16 tends to blow out smaller stock
Let's hug it out
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1562 posts
230 upvotes
fordmaple wrote: 16 gauge is good for trim work like baseboards, fixing hardwood and crown molding though it will leave a slightly larger hole than 18 gauge. 16/18 shouldn't be appropriate for any structural woodwork like nailing 2x lumber together.
i assume regardless 18 or 16 for trim work iwould need to either fill the hole in or paint it over?
Oct 25, 2014
156 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I use the 18 gauge nail gun a lot more often than 16
heck I probably use the 23g nailer a lot more than 16g

the holes and mark from a 16g nail is way too big and for most application and I generally found the bigger nail is unnecessary. (You don't need a giant nail to hold a baseboard in place)
on the other hand, I don't trust even the biggest nail for structural strength
Temp. Banned
Aug 18, 2019
220 posts
175 upvotes
23 too small, 16 too big. 18 is the most used year round.
Nov 6, 2014
568 posts
863 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: i assume regardless 18 or 16 for trim work iwould need to either fill the hole in or paint it over?
18 or 16 will still need to be filled/painted. In the real world 18 gauge is more common and called a "brad" nailer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1562 posts
230 upvotes
stanleyt wrote: I use the 18 gauge nail gun a lot more often than 16
heck I probably use the 23g nailer a lot more than 16g

the holes and mark from a 16g nail is way too big and for most application and I generally found the bigger nail is unnecessary. (You don't need a giant nail to hold a baseboard in place)
on the other hand, I don't trust even the biggest nail for structural strength
liemhoho wrote: 23 too small, 16 too big. 18 is the most used year round.
fordmaple wrote: 18 or 16 will still need to be filled/painted. In the real world 18 gauge is more common and called a "brad" nailer.
im thinkining one of my future projects home renos is putting in new steps for the stairs. i was hoping not needing to buy TWO nail guns but i assume an 18guage is to small for that case?
May 15, 2020
87 posts
57 upvotes
Thornhill ON
If this was for my own home, i would use screws, not nails. I have enough squeaking floor to ever use nails again, beside for baseboard trim.
Nov 6, 2014
568 posts
863 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: im thinkining one of my future projects home renos is putting in new steps for the stairs. i was hoping not needing to buy TWO nail guns but i assume an 18guage is to small for that case?
Either will do. If I were you I'd get the 18 gauge as it's more vercitile and when doing stairs, glue them down then tack them in with the nailer and they won't move or squeak.
Oct 25, 2014
156 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto, ON
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: im thinkining one of my future projects home renos is putting in new steps for the stairs. i was hoping not needing to buy TWO nail guns but i assume an 18guage is to small for that case?
You shouldn't be using 16g nailer as the main fastener to hold down a stairs tread...

Most people using construction adhesive, the nailer is only there to hold the tread in place until the adhesive cure.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1562 posts
230 upvotes
fordmaple wrote: Either will do. If I were you I'd get the 18 gauge as it's more vercitile and when doing stairs, glue them down then tack them in with the nailer and they won't move or squeak.
stanleyt wrote: You shouldn't be using 16g nailer as the main fastener to hold down a stairs tread...

Most people using construction adhesive, the nailer is only there to hold the tread in place until the adhesive cure.
thanks gentleman.

my lastq uestion. is 18 "enough" for crown moldings or floor baseboard trim?
May 28, 2007
382 posts
122 upvotes
Peterborough
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: thanks gentleman.

my lastq uestion. is 18 "enough" for crown moldings or floor baseboard trim?
18. Then wipenover holes with a dab of wood filler on ypur finger to fill holes and paint.