Travel

Would a 24in checked bag be enough for a month? would 28in meet the requiremet?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2016 8:45 pm
Apr 28, 2014
3 posts
Thornhill, ON

Would a 24in checked bag be enough for a month? would 28in meet the requiremet?

Hi, I am going on a trip to Asia to visit my home town and then meet up with couple friends to travel for about a month and a half. I will be in China, Hongkong, Taiwan, and Japan.

So I am wondering if a 24'inch baggage is going to be enough? I don't travel often..LOL

I am currently looking at "samsonite winfield 2 fashion" 24in and 28in and I really like it. It's currently doing a promotion near where I live so I want to pick one. If 24in is enough I'll probably go with it, if not I might go with 28in since the price are similar after promotion.

BUT I am not sure if it'll fit the requirement at the airport. I am going with CATHAY PACIFIC -Economy class.

The overall dimensions (including handles wheels etc) of the 28in I'm looking at is: 30.0" x 20.0" x 12.5". Would that meet the requirement??

My friend told me the max weight is 23kg? I'm not sure if that's correct ..

My first flight will be with Cathay Pacific then layover 3 hrs in hongkong for transfer with DragonAir to China. I assume if there is a difference in baggage size or weight, it wouldn't matter since it's connected?

After China, I will also be travelling to Hongkong, then Taiwan, then Japan. Will there be a difference with the baggage size? I haven't booked tickets for those yet so I don't know which airline they'll be.

Last question, I know normally it's recommended to be at the airport about 3 hrs before flight. But if I check in online, how long before the flight should I get there?

Sorry for so many questions but it'd be great if you could help me answer these questions! thank you so much! :)
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
First Google Search return on Cathay Pacific - Baggage Allowance seems to indicate 20kg instead of 23kg and they didn't spec out too much on dimensions so sounds like they don't care as much. However, a typical 28' should be fine, is the carry on that airlines are picky about.

The rest about baggage size is very subjective. Yes, a smaller one would be easy to travel within Asia but a lot of people get the biggest luggage they can find to go to Asia for the extra room for stuff to bring back. You can also get a second suitcase to bring more stuff back, however.

As for check in, while if you did the online check it should in theory shorten the time required to overall but you never know how long the lines are on your day. All it will take is a few tour groups leaving at the same time and lined up right before you and all the sudden your time in the security check line has increased. I would suggest sticking close to the 3 hrs recommended but no less than 2hr for the unknown.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
owenzhang0220 wrote: The overall dimensions (including handles wheels etc) of the 28in I'm looking at is: 30.0" x 20.0" x 12.5". Would that meet the requirement??
I prefer a 24 to 25" bag these days, as many airlines have weight restrictions - 28" bags while large are too easy to go overweight.

Overweight charges can be significant - Air Canada charges $100 per bag, other airlines charge per KG.

Cathy Pacific economy class is 50lbs per bag, which is about what a 25" suitcase will weight fully loaded.
owenzhang0220 wrote: The overall dimensions (including handles wheels etc) of the 28in I'm looking at is: 30.0" x 20.0" x 12.5". Would that meet the requirement??

My friend told me the max weight is 23kg? I'm not sure if that's correct ..

After China, I will also be travelling to Hongkong, then Taiwan, then Japan. Will there be a difference with the baggage size? I haven't booked tickets for those yet so I don't know which airline they'll be.

Last question, I know normally it's recommended to be at the airport about 3 hrs before flight. But if I check in online, how long before the flight should I get there?
Baggage weight info here: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_CA/ ... ights.html

Yes, different flights / airlines, different weight limits, best to check, especially in China which has a different domestic allowances.

You only need to be at the airport about 3 hours ahead for a International flight,2 hours for US, and 1.5 hour for domestic flights.

hdom wrote: The rest about baggage size is very subjective. Yes, a smaller one would be easy to travel within Asia but a lot of people get the biggest luggage they can find to go to Asia for the extra room for stuff to bring back. You can also get a second suitcase to bring more stuff back, however.
Only people with Business Class, First Class tickets, and the uniformed continue to buy large suitcases for air travel; savvy travelers have ditched large suitcases - larger suitcases weight more, empty space is bad for packing, and space is useless without the corresponding weight allowance.
Feb 16, 2014
49 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
You will be entitled to two bags at 23kg each because you are travelling to/from the americas. Americas include Canada, U.S., Central and south America.
Banned
Feb 23, 2004
7940 posts
3542 upvotes
When I went to Asia for three weeks, I only brought one suitcase. This was in December/January, so my clothes were for winter, which take up more room than clothes for spring/summer.

It also depends on if you care about how often you are going to wear certain items, access to laundry facilities, etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
Get a luggage scale, I travel around Asia on different airlines, with different rules and this makes life easy. Going from place to place, I would use a small case or bag. Big bags are good for when you go somewhere for a week like Cuba. Buy a bag there if you have stuff to bring back. You probably won't get 2X23kg allowance for all of your trip.

For the airports in Asia, listen to the locals about how much time to get to the airport before the flight.
Banned
Feb 23, 2004
7940 posts
3542 upvotes
Yes, luggage scale is a useful tool.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
If you are "traveling" for 3 weeks, then I would select a smaller suitcase. You have to drag it with you wherever you go....up and down steps, on and off trains, transportation etc etc. Smaller, lighter is better :)

Each airline has its own baggage weight limits so you need to check with every airline you intend to travel on.

You need to get to the airport at the time it says on your ticket...regardless of if you booked online or not. You still have to check your bags and that ca take some time as well, you need to go through security and that also can take some time.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Jan 14, 2010
701 posts
249 upvotes
Central Ontario
+1 to all suggestions about smaller 24-25" bag. With weight limits I struggle to stay under 23kg when fully packed (which you probably will be for a month).
Would highly recommend packing cubes (Winners, Walmart, I like MEC ones the best and think they are least expensive as you can buy the right sizes individually). You'd be surprised how carefully packing these can really help cram a lot of stuff in a small space.
Also consider a large duffle backpack if you are at all strong. Without heavy wheel structures you will be able to fit that much more weight into your luggage. But be warned: 23kg on your back can get heavy quickly!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
cocodc wrote: But be warned: 23kg on your back can get heavy quickly!
Also consider buying travel clothing ... regular jeans are heavy, you can probably pack 2 or more pairs of travel pants versus 1 pair of jeans. Not only that, travel clothing tends to be quick dry, meaning you can wash and hang dry overnight.
Nov 24, 2008
316 posts
143 upvotes
Dartmouth NS
There's quite a few packing videos on youtube. I found one that talked about ebags.com and the weekender in particular: http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/moth ... d=10126285.

No wheels, but the size prevents you from being too heavy for backpacking option. I'm considering it for myself for a big trip next year.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7133 posts
3736 upvotes
Montreal
TartanToed wrote: There's quite a few packing videos on youtube. I found one that talked about ebags.com and the weekender in particular: http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/moth ... d=10126285.

No wheels, but the size prevents you from being too heavy for backpacking option. I'm considering it for myself for a big trip next year.
My fiancee and I did 25 nights in Europe (6 countries) with that exact bag. Five different flights with three airlines and never had to check it. It's a great bag.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Don't be too concerned about the North America to Asia flight as the bag allowances are usually very 'reasonable'. Where you need to be concerned with are the within Asia flights as they have a completely different luggage restriction than the long haul. I remember flying from YVR to HKG with a full 26" bag and it was fine. On the way back, I flew into Oaska on Air India and spent a week in Japan. While the bag was dimensionally fine, the weight limit was reduced a lot causing me to scramble on how to reduce the weight of my checked bag. Of course from Tokyo to YVR, the weight limit was increased again and had no issues.