Would canada post check if there are people home

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2019 11:12 am
[OP]
Mar 6, 2017
38 posts
7 upvotes

Would canada post check if there are people home

I know they usually just drop the parcel out of the door. But would they check if people are at home when they make the delivery? I would prefer to receive it in person.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8062 posts
4456 upvotes
Alberta
Not a chance. I've been home many times where they left a package on my doorstep and they didn't even bother to ring the doorbell.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3817 posts
2589 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: Not a chance. I've been home many times where they left a package on my doorstep and they didn't even bother to ring the doorbell.
Ditto. None of them do. Use flex delivery instead...less headache.
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2017
38 posts
7 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Ditto. None of them do. Use flex delivery instead...less headache.
Isn't that only for online shopping?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9266 posts
10803 upvotes
Vancouver
Canada Post almost always knocks and asks for signature. If we’re not home they take it back to the PO and leave a note to come pick it up. Only one time did Canada Post ever drop and dash, and of course the item was stolen. I called and spoke to the area supervisor. He apologized and said that the carrier on our route should know better and doesn’t normally do that.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3817 posts
2589 upvotes
FlamingShark wrote: Isn't that only for online shopping?
Flex Delivery? Perhaps - most packages I received are from online shopping. I'm thinking it depends on the item and I don't see any reason why you can't give the flex delivery address unless they specifically say they don't deliver to a PO box.
Kiraly wrote: Canada Post almost always knocks and asks for signature. If we’re not home they take it back to the PO and leave a note to come pick it up. Only one time did Canada Post ever drop and dash, and of course the item was stolen. I called and spoke to the area supervisor. He apologized and said that the carrier on our route should know better and doesn’t normally do that.
Interesting. Perhaps it varies by province.
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9266 posts
10803 upvotes
Vancouver
hierophant wrote: Flex Delivery? Perhaps - most packages I received are from online shopping. I'm thinking it depends on the item and I don't see any reason why you can't give the flex delivery address unless they specifically say they don't deliver to a PO box.

Interesting. Perhaps it varies by province.
Probably varies by neighbourhood. I live in an area where there is a lot of opportunistic theft. If it's not bolted down it's gone. It seems like Canada Post has figured this out and doesn't drop and dash here. Too bad Purolator and the other couriers haven't done likewise.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3239 posts
18407 upvotes
None of my packages since November have required signatures and here’s how it’s been with me I have multiple entrances.

- Canada Post always goes to the back and never street side and knocks the door, if no answer they leave the package on the door step.

- FedEx do a drop and dash, no door bell ring or knock and when I get the text confirmation it was delivered I was like WTF, luckily I was home when I heard their truck speed off and always at the front door.

- UPS has delivered multiple times and usually knock or ring the door bell and depending on the delivery guy they alternate but the good one has always used the back.

It’s been a long time since I’ve received a door knocker which is why I always signup for text and email notifications. I don’t know why they have stopped but maybe it’s time to report back to all three companies and let them know because prior to this I received door knockers from all three companies. Most of the time I used to have them delivered to my work place which I always knew it would get delivered.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3817 posts
2589 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Probably varies by neighbourhood. I live in an area where there is a lot of opportunistic theft. If it's not bolted down it's gone. It seems like Canada Post has figured this out and doesn't drop and dash here. Too bad Purolator and the other couriers haven't done likewise.
Hmm I don't think it does. I've had my packages stolen a few times - theft is pretty high in my neighbourhood and city (bikes and Amazon packages) but they still don't ring my doorbell even when I'm home or from NOT leaving the package in plain sight.
Dec 18, 2017
927 posts
525 upvotes
London, On
Kiraly wrote: Canada Post almost always knocks and asks for signature. If we’re not home they take it back to the PO and leave a note to come pick it up. Only one time did Canada Post ever drop and dash, and of course the item was stolen. I called and spoke to the area supervisor. He apologized and said that the carrier on our route should know better and doesn’t normally do that.
Depends on what the shipper has instructed. If the shipper hasn't authorized it to be left without signature, then they should be knocking and trying to get a signature, or returning it to their office. If the signature release has been authorized, then the driver should be leaving it as instructed and not returning it (unless in their judgement, leaving it is not a good idea).
Mar 3, 2010
50 posts
19 upvotes
I've received packages from Canada Post that were just left on the porch even if a signature was required.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2781 upvotes
I get the opposite from Canada Post - they just push a pickup notice through the mail slot and don't bother trying to deliver the package even if someone is home.
Nov 14, 2018
13 posts
3 upvotes
Have a read/watch this doozy - Caught on camera: Postal worker dropping delivery slip without knocking

Also, I work on the third floor of a heritage building without an elevator. The Canada Post delivery driver is too lazy to come up the stairs and leaves a doorknocker slip on the main level mailbox stating that we aren't open. This results in us having to walk to the mall 5 blocks away to pick up the next day (or later) because the courier didn't want to do their job. I complained, and it has stopped for now...
Dec 6, 2012
395 posts
186 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Here they just put the "pickup notice" in the community mailbox with others envelops, not even on the door... so even if I'm here at home on my porch all day, postman will not come.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3040 posts
2060 upvotes
Canadia
FlamingShark wrote: Isn't that only for online shopping?
You can use your flex delivery address as long as the package has a tracking number.