• Jun 11th, 2020 7:35 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17816 posts
831 upvotes

Would an old A4 APU play Roblox?

I have an older AMD A4 APU system (i think it's an AMD A4-3400 APU with HD 6410D, about 6-8 years old) in the basement that is just gathering dust but my kids have recently got into a game called Roblox on our main computer which runs it fine but they want to play together on desktops.

Would it run it ok do you think? Before I go buy a keyboard,mouse and monitor I was hoping someone could help me out.

I mean run decently as well, maybe 720p with a good framerate.

It will use a hardline for internet
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5622 posts
5824 upvotes
GTA
No I don't think so. That game is a janky unoptimized pig of a game. Plus it gets worse as your kid will install more and more game modes, skins, mods, etc. And I don't just blame your CPU but also the GPU.
Also found this, and it says it doesn't run well on older AMD chips.

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/c ... blox/12175

EDIT Just looked your specs again compared to the page I linked and maybe I'm being a bit extreme. It sounds like it should work, but I don't know that it will run well. The game IS a pig, and it slows down worse the more it is played.
From my experience we had a decent 7 year old Intel i7 and it chugged. Kid constantly cried about it!
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17816 posts
831 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: No I don't think so. That game is a janky unoptimized pig of a game. Plus it gets worse as your kid will install more and more game modes, skins, mods, etc. And I don't just blame your CPU but also the GPU.
Also found this, and it says it doesn't run well on older AMD chips.

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/c ... blox/12175

EDIT Just looked your specs again compared to the page I linked and maybe I'm being a bit extreme. It sounds like it should work, but I don't know that it will run well. The game IS a pig, and it slows down worse the more it is played.
From my experience we had a decent 7 year old Intel i7 and it chugged. Kid constantly cried about it!
Appreciate the info, guess I'll just have to set up the old unit tonight and try it. Fun...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5056 posts
1437 upvotes
Kitchener
Tried it on an older Dell XPS laptop with i3 processor, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd and GT420 video and was unplayable
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4262 posts
2796 upvotes
My kid started to play roblox as well. Don't understand why people play this game?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5622 posts
5824 upvotes
GTA
cristianosham wrote: My kid started to play roblox as well. Don't understand why people play this game?
I think because it has all sorts of different games in one. You can do a fashion show, cops and robbers, obstacle course, just to name a few. There are guns, drivable cars, and wearable accessories. It is a very versatile game because if you get bored of one mode, you do something else.
But it looks and runs like @$$ and is unoptimized and is a resource hog. It's kind of ridiculous but it seems like you need a decent gaming rig to run it.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17816 posts
831 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: I think because it has all sorts of different games in one. You can do a fashion show, cops and robbers, obstacle course, just to name a few. There are guns, drivable cars, and wearable accessories. It is a very versatile game because if you get bored of one mode, you do something else.
But it looks and runs like @$$ and is unoptimized and is a resource hog. It's kind of ridiculous but it seems like you need a decent gaming rig to run it.
Don't think you need one fast really. My kid runs it on her laptop (one of the cheap 189 ones from Lenovo) and it runs fine so I'm not sure why the performance is so bad.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17816 posts
831 upvotes
Just updated the old thing and installed Roblox and it actually runs pretty good. Not perfect but around 30fps for sure.

That's good enough
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2001
5656 posts
70 upvotes
Calgary
You could always throw in a cheap video card if kiddo asks for better performance... you can lower quality settings in there too.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
28886 posts
4610 upvotes
Montreal
What? My son runs this on an AMazon Fire 8" tablet. How demanding can it be?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5622 posts
5824 upvotes
GTA
mr_raider wrote: What? My son runs this on an AMazon Fire 8" tablet. How demanding can it be?
I agree, my kid plays it more regularly on a 3-4 year old iPad and it plays way better than her oldish gaming laptop. It scales better on tablets I suppose?
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31742 posts
13094 upvotes
AMD A4 is one of the worst desktop CPUs of the past decade, lol. I'd be surprised if it could "play" MS Word well :lol: Roblox must have super low requirements if it actually runs--consider yourself lucky!