Computers & Electronics

Would switching from CarryTel to Fido/Rogers help with slowdowns during day?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2021 5:47 am
[OP]
Apr 26, 2019
235 posts
312 upvotes
GTA

Would switching from CarryTel to Fido/Rogers help with slowdowns during day?

Hi, currently I'm a customer with CarryTel on their 75d/10u plan. It's generally not bad but sometimes during the day, the slowdown is horrible and it becomes difficult to surf the internet or make Teams calls.

Would switching to Fido/Rogers help with this (with a higher speed plan) or would they face the same issue due to how cable internet works in general?

Thanks.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1620 posts
401 upvotes
GTA
I just switched from Carrytel 300/20 connection to Fido 150/15.

It has solved all of my issues. Previously I was getting constant buffering when was watching IPTV, and twitch was unusable. I found that each day after about 6PM things went to shit.

Now that I'm on Fido, I haven't experienced those issues. I hate having to go back to a Rogers company, but I found carrytel unusable for me. I had to leave in order to have functioning internet.
Apr 30, 2014
234 posts
99 upvotes
dieselboy27 wrote: I just switched from Carrytel 300/20 connection to Fido 150/15.

It has solved all of my issues. Previously I was getting constant buffering when was watching IPTV, and twitch was unusable. I found that each day after about 6PM things went to shit.

Now that I'm on Fido, I haven't experienced those issues. I hate having to go back to a Rogers company, but I found carrytel unusable for me. I had to leave in order to have functioning internet.

There is no Carrytel 300/20, so clearly you are just trolling.
Apr 30, 2014
234 posts
99 upvotes
TorontoTrashPanda wrote: Hi, currently I'm a customer with CarryTel on their 75d/10u plan. It's generally not bad but sometimes during the day, the slowdown is horrible and it becomes difficult to surf the internet or make Teams calls.

Would switching to Fido/Rogers help with this (with a higher speed plan) or would they face the same issue due to how cable internet works in general?

Thanks.
After reading the Fido promo threads, they seem to be happy with their speeds.

If I were you experiencing the slowdowns, I would confirm that these slowdowns exist while connected by ethernet cable. If they do, then it is Carrytel that is the source of the problem, and I would surely look for another provider in the hope of getting a reliable speed.

Having said that, I have most of my computers connected via wifi and I have not experienced any slowdown. I work from home too, so I must be able to notice if such slowdowns happen and there isn't.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1620 posts
401 upvotes
GTA
TeateaM wrote:
There is no Carrytel 300/20, so clearly you are just trolling.
You know what, you’re right! I switched from CANNETtel, I keep getting those two confused.

My grandma had carrytel, 75/10 and it was fine.
Apr 11, 2009
622 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
dieselboy27 wrote: I just switched from Carrytel 300/20 connection to Fido 150/15.

Do you know when they will give you the refund for the prorated services? I still haven't got mine yet..
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1620 posts
401 upvotes
GTA
sandini_power wrote: Do you know when they will give you the refund for the prorated services? I still haven't got mine yet..
I’m not certain. The carrytel refund was posted to the site quickly but nothing yet from cannet.
Apr 11, 2009
622 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
dieselboy27 wrote: I’m not certain. The carrytel refund was posted to the site quickly but nothing yet from cannet.
yea i see the minus amount on carrytel billing page but have yet to receive the refund back to my card
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1620 posts
401 upvotes
GTA
sandini_power wrote: yea i see the minus amount on carrytel billing page but have yet to receive the refund back to my card
The carrytel account said it would be posted by Dec. 28
Apr 11, 2009
622 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
dieselboy27 wrote: The carrytel account said it would be posted by Dec. 28
I totally didn't see that line lol shows by Dec 25 for me
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12214 posts
6753 upvotes
Brampton
I switched and it helped. At least until Rogers added more fiber and upgraded the node in my area to fully "fix" things

When you have this problem it usually means the node in your area is overloaded, Only Rogers can truly fix it by getting more Fiber to the area.

Rogers and Fido have higher traffic priority than to 3rd party. So it'll help but it won't be a huge difference, but it might be enough to at least keep your VoIP and virtual meetings stable,
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2747 posts
1511 upvotes
Mississauga
Carrytel/CanNet absolutely get throttled. I had CanNet for a few months back in 2018 and it was just so bad in evenings. I understand with more people staying home, these providers are throttling during the day as well. Rogers/Fido although pricier, will be far better as far as promised speeds are concerned. I am on Rogers 300/20 plan, and I mostly get more than 300mbps. In fact I have sometimes noticed reaching even as high as 500mbps during non-peak periods.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2019
235 posts
312 upvotes
GTA
tebore wrote: I switched and it helped. At least until Rogers added more fiber and upgraded the node in my area to fully "fix" things

When you have this problem it usually means the node in your area is overloaded, Only Rogers can truly fix it by getting more Fiber to the area.

Rogers and Fido have higher traffic priority than to 3rd party. So it'll help but it won't be a huge difference, but it might be enough to at least keep your VoIP and virtual meetings stable,
That was my concern - that this is a node infra issue rather than provider issue.

@IndyBeak has it been proven that CarryTel throttles?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2747 posts
1511 upvotes
Mississauga
TorontoTrashPanda wrote: That was my concern - that this is a node infra issue rather than provider issue.

I believe there was a long thread here on RFD where many people confirmed brutal throttling at peak hours. I never had Carrytel, but I had CanNet for a few months and that was just as bad.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2019
235 posts
312 upvotes
GTA
IndyBeak wrote: I believe there was a long thread here on RFD where many people confirmed brutal throttling at peak hours. I never had Carrytel, but I had CanNet for a few months and that was just as bad.
Thanks for sharing.

I guess I'll try to get in on that Fido 150mbps for $37.50 deal.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12214 posts
6753 upvotes
Brampton
TorontoTrashPanda wrote: That was my concern - that this is a node infra issue rather than provider issue.

Cogent, the partner that Carrytel buys their bandwidth from has been know to do traffic shaping and is unfriendly to P2P and IPTV traffic. This maybe where the issues are coming from. It's been hard to say where the issue is. Carrytel vehemently denies any throttling and traffic shaping. But they have also done throttling for fair use in their early days.

Carrytel is not Cannet.

But back to your first point. I'm willing to bed it's a node overload/sold issue. Only Rogers can truly resolve it.
But it's 100% true that Rogers has preferred traffic. They flow everything from TV and phone over it.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12214 posts
6753 upvotes
Brampton
IndyBeak wrote: I believe there was a long thread here on RFD where many people confirmed brutal throttling at peak hours. I never had Carrytel, but I had CanNet for a few months and that was just as bad.
CIK and Cannet throttle.
Don't confuse them with Carrytel.

I'm not a fan of carrytel anymore but I'm not going to spread misinformation about them.

Carrytel's DSL service seems to have less issues than their Cable side. Which is where the big promos are. Rogers is contributing to overselling on their networks.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2747 posts
1511 upvotes
Mississauga
tebore wrote: CIK and Cannet throttle.
Don't confuse them with Carrytel.

I'm not a fan of carrytel anymore but I'm not going to spread misinformation about them.

Carrytel's DSL service seems to have less issues than their Cable side. Which is where the big promos are. Rogers is contributing to overselling on their networks.
Could be. As I said, I just remember a long carrytel thread here on RFD where many ppl suggested they were throttled on Carrytel during peak hours. And as I also said, my own experience is only with CanNet. And I understand this discussion is within the context of Cable Internet as Rogers and Fido are being talked about. DSL would normally be better as far as promised vs actual speeds ate concerned.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12214 posts
6753 upvotes
Brampton
IndyBeak wrote: Could be. As I said, I just remember a long carrytel thread here on RFD where many ppl suggested they were throttled on Carrytel during peak hours. And as I also said, my own experience is only with CanNet. And I understand this discussion is within the context of Cable Internet as Rogers and Fido are being talked about. DSL would normally be better as far as promised vs actual speeds ate concerned.
My last paragraph was just me sharing my experience with their DSL for the OP.
Unrelated to your post sorry for the confusion.

The Fido Deal is the best around. It's what I did. Rogers did ironically end up fixing the congestion in my area before my Fido connection went live. But I switched because of how Carrytel handled my calls about the constant congestion issues and the two, day long outages didn't help their cause especially how they handled communicating it.
Of course pricing too from Fido was cheaper than the 49.99 from Carrytel.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1378 posts
445 upvotes
Oakville
tebore wrote: Cogent, the partner that Carrytel buys their bandwidth from has been know to do traffic shaping and is unfriendly to P2P and IPTV traffic. This maybe where the issues are coming from. It's been hard to say where the issue is. Carrytel vehemently denies any throttling and traffic shaping. But they have also done throttling for fair use in their early days.
If that's true (Cogent traffic shaping) how would Carrytel get around that given they themselves offer a legit IPTV service and presumable wouldn't want that compromised?

Would a VPN with adequate speed allow one to bypass this throttling/shaping?