• Apr 19th, 2018 2:26 pm
Tags:
211 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17128 posts
4921 upvotes
Toronto
Well that's what people said about Korean cars. Hyundai's are very popular now.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3338 posts
1990 upvotes
Vancouver
Competition is always good, so yes i would consider it. Since they will try to break into a market, good chance there could be some deals or if nothing else better deals from other brands.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30733 posts
5155 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
carmaster wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 6:33 pm
Well that's what people said about Korean cars. Hyundai's are very popular now.
I was there when Hyundai came to Canada and I remember one of my Korean friends buying a Hyundai Stellar. We spent more time pushing that car than driving it

Deep in my heart, I know that Hyundai manufacturers decent cars, but I can't bring myself to buy one, no matter how cheap or how high the quality is.
Jan 11, 2012
165 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Unless insurance companies invent/find a reason to hike rates for owners yes would consider
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11823 posts
5350 upvotes
Toronto
all depends on price and quality
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5710 posts
2033 upvotes
Aurora
No, I probably wouldn't. Not until they have had more time to establish a reputation for quality.

But, can we up the stakes a little? Would you rather ride in a Chinese spaceship or an American spaceship?Smiling Face With Open Mouth
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3418 posts
2655 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 6:47 pm
But, can we up the stakes a little? Would you rather ride in a Chinese spaceship or an American spaceship?Smiling Face With Open Mouth
The Chinese can make quality products when their national pride is at stake. That whole "save face" crap they're into. Imagine the laughs heard round the world if their spaceships all failed to make orbit... We'd just call that epic fail, post some memes on Instagram and it's just a laugh to us. They'd call that a loss of face which to them is serious cow manure.

But when it comes to mass produced products where the goal is to turn a profit.... one visit to Dollarama or Crappy Tire is all you need to get your answer. Cars would be no different.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Jan 15th, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3418 posts
2655 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 6:37 pm
I was there when Hyundai came to Canada and I remember one of my Korean friends buying a Hyundai Stellar. We spent more time pushing that car than driving it

Deep in my heart, I know that Hyundai manufacturers decent cars, but I can't bring myself to buy one, no matter how cheap or how high the quality is.
At least Hyundai (and Kia) kept at it and now produce cars worth considering. The same can't be said of Yugo...
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3418 posts
2655 upvotes
Paigne wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 6:37 pm
Competition is always good, so yes i would consider it. Since they will try to break into a market, good chance there could be some deals or if nothing else better deals from other brands.
A cheap car isn't a deal if it leaves you stranded far from home because the engine/transmission is crap, or seriously hurt in a crash because they cut corners on safety....
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1254 posts
1020 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I would not buy it unless it was reviewed and had a good record of being a reliable and safe car with a decent price. And even then for me to buy a chinese car, it has to look good.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3338 posts
1990 upvotes
Vancouver
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 6:58 pm
A cheap car isn't a deal if it leaves you stranded far from home because the engine/transmission is crap, or seriously hurt in a crash because they cut corners on safety....
Thats true but i wouldnt assume the engine/transmission is crap before they actually come out here. Wouldnt be fair just to make an assumption itll be good or bad until the product is actually released. Remember a lot of car parts do actually come from the same factory and given the safety standards, it isnt exactly easy to cut corners on a car vs say a tv (where chinese brands are also gaining momentum). Plus not all chinese company make bad quality products/cut corners, xiaomi for example has a pretty good reputation and personally im happy with their miipad, mibox, and dashcam. Im sure other rfders use other xiaomi products and their threads pop up quite regularly.

Plus again this represents another option. Even if you dont buy it, it could drive down cost for other brands including the one you might buy.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
630 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 6:51 pm
The Chinese can make quality products when their national pride is at stake. That whole "save face" crap they're into. Imagine the laughs heard round the world if their spaceships all failed to make orbit... We'd just call that epic fail, post some memes on Instagram and it's just a laugh to us. They'd call that a loss of face which to them is serious cow manure.

But when it comes to mass produced products where the goal is to turn a profit.... one visit to Dollarama or Crappy Tire is all you need to get your answer. Cars would be no different.
All these chinese made products you see here are the result of the western companies like wal mart who prefer to pay them the least to make it. If you want quality products, go to walmart and tell them you are willing to pay more for a better product.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1186 posts
1125 upvotes
Aren’t most car parts made in China anyway?
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3418 posts
2655 upvotes
blackbirdman wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 7:00 pm
I would not buy it unless it was reviewed and had a good record of being a reliable and safe car with a decent price. And even then for me to buy a chinese car, it has to look good.
That would require several years in the market to build a reputation and prove reliability, and of course crash testing to see if it meets our safety standards.
Until Consumer Reports recommends it as a buy, I won't touch it.
Yugo failed on all counts... I would think the Chinese wouldn't build a similar disaster, but it wouldn't surprise me either.