Home & Garden

Would you clean this refrigerator? Or would you buy a new one?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2019 2:21 pm

Poll: Would you clean this fridge?

• Total votes: 36. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

39%
No

61%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1522 posts
856 upvotes

Would you clean this refrigerator? Or would you buy a new one?

This fridge has been unplugged for about 10 years now. We need more fridge space, so I'm debating between new fridge or cleaning this.

27 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4579 upvotes
Montréal
JC, did you leave that in a zombie apocalypse? Burn it w fire!
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2358 posts
1079 upvotes
Edmonton
If you want to spend the muscle power to clean it, plug it in first to see if it still works. Just have to state the obvious.
It shouldn’t smell after a stiff cleaning, all would be good.
But, how much energy will it use, compared to a newer one? Something you should take into consideration.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1522 posts
856 upvotes
walleye*guy wrote: If you want to spend the muscle power to clean it, plug it in first to see if it still works. Just have to state the obvious.
It shouldn’t smell after a stiff cleaning, all would be good.
But, how much energy will it use, compared to a newer one? Something you should take into consideration.
Definitely still works. The compressor is actually in better shape than its replacement. However it's anyone's guess when the temperature control and other electronics fail.

Didn't consider the energy usage. I think this fridge was bought in the 90s.
It will be closed for most of the time, but I'm not sure what it's standby consumption would be.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1439 posts
249 upvotes
Grimsby
If it still works fine why would you consider replacing it? You can replace it the day it quits if need be. Regarding energy savings you will never recoup the difference, to me that is a false economy.

Newer fridges seem fail the longevity test from many posts here over time.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3643 posts
1187 upvotes
Edmonton
Owbist wrote: If it still works fine why would you consider replacing it? You can replace it the day it quits if need be. Regarding energy savings you will never recoup the difference, to me that is a false economy.

Newer fridges seem fail the longevity test from many posts here over time.
Cause some people are materialistic. Why do people change vehicles when the old one still drives? Same thing. Some people are just wasteful
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Oct 3, 2011
583 posts
377 upvotes
OTTAWA
bleach solution will kill the living stuff... just leave it open after cleaning to air out properly.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6647 posts
2990 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
lurkknight wrote: bleach solution will kill the living stuff... just leave it open after cleaning to air out properly.
Bleach supposedly doesn't do the job anymore (may be surface-dependent). I'd use a mould killer to start, perhaps oxybleach (in gel form?) to clean up the stains, and finally a baking soda wash to remove the smell.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17058 posts
14438 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Wouldn’t be my first choice ...
cleaning it is going to take a lot of serious elbow work
And various cleaning agents to get it to a point WHERE I WOULD FEEL COMFORTABLE using it

But yes, it will be a lot cheaper to do that than buy another

If it’s just gonna be a Beer, Pop, and occasional other items enclosed in containers then it’s hard to justify buying new

A fistful of Dollars to clean with soap, hot water, bleach, and a roll of paper towels ... vs Several Hundred Dollars for a new Fridge

But if it’s not just gonna be “the beer fridge” ... IMO it’s not worth the bother
Last edited by PointsHubby on Aug 6th, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4579 upvotes
Montréal
Man, I knew RFD is full of cheapXs but this is scary (like that dumpster-diving thread). I question the hygiene stds...did OP leave food in there? I know it's 10 years but still, it's nasty and who knows what spores and other gross things are growing in there? No idea how it could be in such a gross state, like it was left open in the jungle full of food and some gorillas took a crap in it, ants setup their colony there, it rained and got all rusted, etc etc etc.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1222 posts
685 upvotes
Ripley
Yes, you can clean it. After that post above I'm to chicken to tell you what some of the appliances have looked like that I have cleaned and used.

For one way worse than that - we started with wiping it all down with water to get rid of the lose/obvious stuff; then bleach; then water; then vinegar; don't rinse the vinegar. If it still smells it is best to take it outside and leave it unplugged and open for a few days. I would have suggested not plugging it in until it is clean but it sounds too late for that.

Edited to add - on the picture of the door - those plastic holders will pop off so you can get in the crevices.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12100 posts
2698 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Man, I knew RFD is full of cheapXs but this is scary (like that dumpster-diving thread). I question the hygiene stds...did OP leave food in there? I know it's 10 years but still, it's nasty and who knows what spores and other gross things are growing in there? No idea how it could be in such a gross state, like it was left open in the jungle full of food and some gorillas took a crap in it, ants setup their colony there, it rained and got all rusted, etc etc etc.
As long as you don't clean with your penis, I don't think you need to worry about STDs.
zeddy wrote: Yes, you can clean it. After that post above I'm to chicken to tell you what some of the appliances have looked like that I have cleaned and used.

For one way worse than that - we started with wiping it all down with water to get rid of the lose/obvious stuff; then bleach; then water; then vinegar; don't rinse the vinegar. If it still smells it is best to take it outside and leave it unplugged and open for a few days. I would have suggested not plugging it in until it is clean but it sounds too late for that.

Edited to add - on the picture of the door - those plastic holders will pop off so you can get in the crevices.
I agree with this. I cleaned out much worse. In my life time, 3 really bad fridges. You don't really need to put any strength into it or go over the same area over and over. Grime for the most part just wipes off fridges fairly easily. The worst I had was something leaked and caked onto a glass shelf which became a hard, sticky, rancid substance, but I just let that soak in water and it just wiped right off.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4579 upvotes
Montréal
joeyjoejoe wrote: As long as you don't clean with your penis, I don't think you need to worry about STDs.
Is that a Freudian lol? Or is "stds" that out of favor these days, esp when coupled w 'hygiene'? Ofc I meant *standards*.

Anyway, I dare anyone to argue that fridge wouldn't fit right in as a movie prop in a Resident Evil - abandoned lab scene, just put in a severed head, tray of maggots and some random vials of blood, and you're good to go! :D
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10315 posts
2916 upvotes
not a chance. I would rather not eat then clean that.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4579 upvotes
Montréal
tranquility922 wrote: Anyway, I dare anyone to argue that fridge wouldn't fit right in as a movie prop in a Resident Evil - abandoned lab scene, just put in a severed head, tray of maggots and some random vials of blood, and you're good to go! :D
Here ya go lol, my pshop skills are killer LMAO
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4397 posts
3869 upvotes
Toronto
Love the open box of baking soda to absorb the smell...
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17470 posts
10250 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
thriftshopper wrote: Bleach supposedly doesn't do the job anymore (may be surface-dependent). I'd use a mould killer to start, perhaps oxybleach (in gel form?) to clean up the stains, and finally a baking soda wash to remove the smell.
Realistically, bleach never did the job... it's just a myth that people have repeated over and over and over again until people through it was true.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6647 posts
2990 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
craftsman wrote: Realistically, bleach never did the job... it's just a myth that people have repeated over and over and over again until people through it was true.
Exactly. My wife insisted on bleach for long time until I told her Concumbrium(sp?) was better and not corrosive.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4836 posts
3702 upvotes
If it's working, not sure why anyone would be so wasteful and lazy as to not clean it out...it's just dried up food...yep let it sit forever in a landfill because you're too precious and elite to clean it :rolleyes: . People are so stupid and lazy :facepalm: smh@humanity
Last edited by hierophant on Aug 6th, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17470 posts
10250 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
thriftshopper wrote: Exactly. My wife insisted on bleach for long time until I told her Concumbrium(sp?) was better and not corrosive.
Of course, the fact that we, as humans, associate anything that changes something's colour to a lighter shade (ie beaching it) means it's clean when all it really means is that it's lighter in colour doesn't help matters.