• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2021 1:21 pm
40 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1713 posts
678 upvotes
The Capital
The only vaccine I care about is credit score and employment record.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7690 posts
5126 upvotes
Victoria, BC
If someone were actually sharing my space (which I would never do, since that is my version of hell) then you'd better believe I'd only accept fully vaccinated. If just in a unit I owned but didn't live in (and their space was completely their own), then I wouldn't be so concerned.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3788 upvotes
Thornhill
Liable for a Human Rights violation since the unit is a stand alone.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7171 posts
9144 upvotes
The NORTH
Don't see how this stands up to a legal challenge.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3788 upvotes
Thornhill
kr0zet wrote: Don't see how this stands up to a legal challenge.
What legal challenge specifically?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7171 posts
9144 upvotes
The NORTH
licenced wrote: What legal challenge specifically?
My guess? A human rights discrimination case.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3788 upvotes
Thornhill
kr0zet wrote: My guess? A human rights discrimination case.
The landlord would likely lose if brought up before the Human Rights Tribunal.

A landlord cannot, in the supply of housing discriminate on medical or religious grounds and can't even ask for proof if told it is on medical or religious grounds. The only way a landlord could win is if it was a shared unit.

I'm sure that now that seller and thier dunce agent has tried this, others will too. I presume within 6 months we'll see who the losing test case was.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7171 posts
9144 upvotes
The NORTH
licenced wrote: The landlord would likely lose if brought up before the Human Rights Tribunal.

A landlord cannot, in the supply of housing discriminate on medical or religious grounds and can't even ask for proof if told it is on medical or religious grounds. The only way a landlord could win is if it was a shared unit.

I'm sure that now that seller and thier dunce agent has tried this, others will too. I presume within 6 months we'll see who the losing test case was.
Agree'd
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19066 posts
17385 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
I wouldn't even touch that. I don't care if they're vaxed or not. I'm not living with them.

Pay the rent on time, treat the place properly, follow the condo rules. That's all I want from a tenant.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9193 posts
5047 upvotes
Is this a question that you are allowed to ask potential tenants? I would have thought that it might create privacy issues.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7171 posts
9144 upvotes
The NORTH
choclover wrote: Is this a question that you are allowed to ask potential tenants? I would have thought that it might create privacy issues.
I don't believe so as there are already religions exceptions for other vaccines and you cannot discriminate on religions grounds. There will be a legal challenge in the end to sort it out.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3788 upvotes
Thornhill
Jon Lai wrote: This is even crazier - tenant was sent eviction notice because they brought over vacinnated guests and the landlord wants the house to only allow unvaccinated guests.

https://outline.com/y9XyvG
I hope the tenant fights this at the tribunal and brings a Human Rights violation charge against the lanlord and when that's done and the landlord loses twice, report his illegal basement apartment/rooming house to the city and the CRA. It doesn't even seem like it was even on the lease agreement, not that it would enforceable.

It's remarkable how abjectly stupid some people are! How on earth does this landlord presume to prove a vaccinated tenant or their guests is in anyway a threat to anyone? Might as well start putting ridiculous terms in lease agreements like, tenant shall not have any tattoos or pink painted toe nails or landlord and landlord's guests shall not be moron.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3725 upvotes
Toronto
JayLove06 wrote: I wouldn't even touch that. I don't care if they're vaxed or not. I'm not living with them.

Pay the rent on time, treat the place properly, follow the condo rules. That's all I want from a tenant.
Same. I don't really see the medical aspect at all (unless it's not really a tenant but someone renting a room in the landlord's house). My gut tells me the landlord knows this and is just using it as a screening mechanism (i.e., the point of view that unvaccinated person = probably a crazy person I don't want to rent to).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9193 posts
5047 upvotes
Manatus wrote: Same. I don't really see the medical aspect at all (unless it's not really a tenant but someone renting a room in the landlord's house). My gut tells me the landlord knows this and is just using it as a screening mechanism (i.e., the point of view that unvaccinated person = probably a crazy person I don't want to rent to).
Wow, that's telling.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3725 upvotes
Toronto
choclover wrote: Wow, that's telling.
That would be my guess. It doesn't seem logical, given the RTA and regulations (e.g., restrictions on landlord visiting, difficulty in removing tenants, etc. - essentially, this is the tenant's home now) that a landlord would be impacted at all by a tenant being vaccinated or not. Many landlords don't even live in the same city/province/country as their property and may only meet the tenant once if at all. Doesn't make sense to me.
Aug 17, 2018
627 posts
1124 upvotes
Sure, let's start a questionnaire to identify crazy people!

1. Are you not vaccinated despite having no medical condition that would keep you from getting it?
2. Do you own any MAGA merchandize?
3. Do you own a Confederate flag?
4. Do you consider YouTube the best source for medical or legal advice?
5. Have you ever knowingly violated Covid emergency orders because you know that Covid is a hoax?
6. Do you really expect me to rent my place to you if you answered any of the above questions with "yes"?

/s
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2624 posts
3145 upvotes
choclover wrote: Wow, that's telling.
Yes. Yes it is. That was likely sort of the point.

Tells you something, without telling you something.

Legal? Who knows. Who would have guessed couple yrs ago, a restaurant/bar or gym could ban someone for something like this, but provinces plan on it. Universities too.

Clearly some provinces do not equate refusing service for vaccine status as same as refusing for religion, race etc.

New legal territory? I'm no lawyer, who am I to say.