Real Estate

Would you consider living next to a railroad?

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2021 11:09 pm
Tags:

Poll: ?

• Total votes: 77. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

18%
Maybe

19%
Nah

62%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3623 posts
1946 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area

Would you consider living next to a railroad?

Let's say you've found your dream home, but it's backing onto a railroad. Would you still go for it?

How much of an impact does it have on the price vs comparables that aren't next to a railroad?

And how loud is it exactly? I see people living next to main roads or near airports (e.g. parts of Mississauga) with plenty of noise pollution around them, but are railroads worse?

Not knowing how loud they actually are, my immediate concerns would be resale value and vibrations affecting the house's structural integrity.
RichmondCA wrote: Leading indicator on bear market, when you see this avatar start popping up in this thread
10 replies
Apr 7, 2012
619 posts
600 upvotes
gta
i wouldnt, i live right now apx 500m from the closet track(freight line) to me and about 1.5km from the nearest railroad crossing(here they blow the horn) its street grade crossing.

literally last night had the windows open and heard the train going by and gave thought to the people who live close to the tracks especially near the intersection because the horn is loud. this was at 2am, i hear it as well during the day but lot more ambient noise outside so not as noticeable, but you do hear it.
Jun 4, 2013
458 posts
504 upvotes
GTA
I don't mind trains at all. I've lived close to the track (not super close but fairly close) and didn't mind the occasional sounds. You get used to it. Also, they shoudn't be honking near residential areas unless they really really need to. I barely ever heard the horn in the 3 years I spent living close to the track. And yes freight trains also would routinely go by late night.
Nov 29, 2014
31 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I was in a similar situation recently, ended up not putting in an offer but not because of the train.

My advice would be to check if you can what future train traffic is planned. Is this route scheduled to only get busier in the future? Or might it be phased out at some point. If you are able to find that information out it may help with your decision. Also what type of trains, commercial, passenger, etc - some trains are smoother than others and you may just hear the odd horn. Also maybe search if anyone has filed a noise complaint in the past.

Good luck :)
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1291 posts
1742 upvotes
muscan wrote: Also, they shoudn't be honking near residential areas unless they really really need to.
It's a federal railway regulation to sound the horn when approaching uncontrolled crossings ( no drop down barriers ) and probably for good reason.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6701 posts
6296 upvotes
I don't mind it either. One thing I realized is people hold pre-conceived assumptions that aren't based on anything substantive, but rather its based on blind following of the masses.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4637 upvotes
Montréal
Depends for me, perhaps scope out the area during various times to see how loud is the noise?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
13124 posts
16745 upvotes
Toronto
I would, I grew up in a house that backed on to tracks, though the backyard was over 100' long.

You don't hear the trains after a couple weeks, though people who come over will comment how loud it is.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3623 posts
1946 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
sircheersa wrote: I would, I grew up in a house that backed on to tracks, though the backyard was over 100' long.

You don't hear the trains after a couple weeks, though people who come over will comment how loud it is.
GO train or freight train?

Were there vibrations when the trains went by?
RichmondCA wrote: Leading indicator on bear market, when you see this avatar start popping up in this thread
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
13124 posts
16745 upvotes
Toronto
dc200 wrote: GO train or freight train?

Were there vibrations when the trains went by?
Freight, there were definitely vibrations.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8457 posts
997 upvotes
Depends. Sometimes train can be soothing, but Horning near crossing our vsqueakihg Adobe when turning is very annoying.
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500