• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2021 10:35 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 14, 2018
846 posts
776 upvotes

Would you make this layout change?

We are considering expanding our master bathroom by taking some space in the master bedroom. The current bathroom size is only 35 sq ft and this change will double the size and allow us to have a 4-piece bathroom. But this will make the bedroom layout a bit odd and disrupt the visual flow entering into the bedroom... See the two attached pictures for comparison.
current.png
new.png

Would you make this change if you were me?

Also, the estimate I got today was around $30k including all the materials. Is this reasonable considering the work needed to change the walls and plumbing?
42 replies
May 27, 2018
14 posts
7 upvotes
The changes do make the room odd. The way it is now has great flow. Personally I don’t like the washroom door facing the entrance door like you have in the new drawing, especially with that closet door so close. Can you make the washroom a little smaller?
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15104 posts
12493 upvotes
GTA, ON
No.
That change would only make your room 10'8" deep. IMO I find for a master bedroom, that's a bit shallow. That leaves you just a bit less than 4 feet between the foot of the bed and the new wall.

Is it doable? Sure, but at the sacrifice of making the bedroom feel claustrophobic.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jan 11, 2007
525 posts
134 upvotes
GTA
No. Entrance way will be too awkward to move a big dresser or bed. 2 air registers in the bathroom vs 1 in the bedroom doesn't seem right. When you go to sell, potential buyers will wonder what were they thinking.

If you want a bigger bathroom, steal a little space from the walk in closet area but I don't think you can have it all and still make the master bedroom area feel spaceous. You will need to decide what's most important (or compromise on size of): a larger counter, a large separate shower, or a free standing tub.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1884 posts
1602 upvotes
GTA
clutch31 wrote: Also, the estimate I got today was around $30k including all the materials. Is this reasonable considering the work needed to change the walls and plumbing?
$30k is most likely reasonable for this, but hard to tell given no scope and finishes.

The first thing that you always need to figure out for a renovation like is is.... Can you actually move the toilet? The toilet governs, and for that you are moving it at least across a joist, which most plumbing can't do. So need to figure out if it works with your stack location, or you're going to end up with an ugly bulkhead below.

I had a similar layout, although my bathroom was a big bigger to start and I think my closet was a touch smaller. Anyways, what we did was merged our closet and bathroom into one. So basically the bathroom ended up with some builtinwardrobes in it and then with one less door in our bedroom we had another wall for wardrobes. We gained way more space for our bathroom, a better layout, and more storage space for clothes. I think it may cause an issue because the bathroom/closet isnt that wide for this layout, however maybe you could bump the wall out.

Going back to basics though, I think you first need to confirm you can actually move the toilet at minimal cost or with no ugly bulkhead, and then need to determine if all those walls are non structural.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
try it this way
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2006
1718 posts
28 upvotes
Oakville
I'm not a huge fan of closing off the room like that. Why not flip the bathroom and the closet and build the bathroom out to the entrance so when you enter the room, it's more of a corridor. You'd lose a window in the bathroom but it would be a better layout in my opinion.

Also, what software did you use to make that layout?

Thanks
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20811 posts
19040 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
CuriousC wrote: try it this way
Hmmm, might be onto something here

Combine the current WI Closet & Bath Space
All of the Closet + 50% of the current Bath
Into the Bath Area … May present no need to move the toilet

And the the last 50% of the bath becomes part of the new closet space
The new closet extends into the bedroom for as long as your drawing # 2
But it leaves more open floor plan for the Master Bedroom … better flow
(Still a laying down L on the floor plan … just the right side side will be thinner )
The sacrifice tho may be the sq footage of the closet
So maybe more of a reach in wardrobe than a walk in
Or do what @SubjectivelyObjective said and make it wardrobes connected to the MBath … which could form a dressing area inside & outside the Bath … place the Bathroom door accordingly
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
my design will leave you with a window in the WIK ...bummer
[OP]
Mar 14, 2018
846 posts
776 upvotes
Hey, thanks guys for the input.

@Curious C @PointsHubby Actually, moving the entire bottom wall upward (as seen in the pictures) was my original idea, but notice the locations of the window (2nd from the bottom) and the bedroom door. Unfortunately, I can't have a wall that runs between them and stay parallel/perpendicular to the rest of the walls.

How about this possibility? Expand the washroom into the closet space and make the closet narrow but longer. And make the closet door barn or pocket to save space.
current.png
Last edited by clutch31 on Sep 30th, 2021 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Mar 14, 2018
846 posts
776 upvotes
rob187jj wrote: I'm not a huge fan of closing off the room like that. Why not flip the bathroom and the closet and build the bathroom out to the entrance so when you enter the room, it's more of a corridor. You'd lose a window in the bathroom but it would be a better layout in my opinion.

Also, what software did you use to make that layout?

Thanks
Homestyler
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20811 posts
19040 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
clutch31 wrote: Hey, thanks guys for the input.

@Curious C @PointsHubby Actually, moving the entire bottom wall upward (as seen in the pictures) was my original idea, but notice the locations of the window (2nd from the bottom) and the bedroom door. Unfortunately, I can't have a wall that runs between them and stay parallel/perpendicular to the rest of the walls.

How about this possibility? Expand the washroom into the closet space and make the closet narrow but longer. And make the closet door barn or pocket to save space.
current.png
Looks better

Sorry I cannot draw out my ideas … or post pics (just links )

Here are some more ideas …

You could just take over the whole current designated WI & MBath space and make it all bathroom. Would definitely be more spacious! (About 13.5 x 5 )

And if you fear that might cramp up the space for tub & shower … you could always do a wet room combo at one end

Totally modern look …

https://www.hgtv.com/design/design-blog ... room-trend

This would mean less footprint space needed for separate fixtures … and better use of plumbing runs too

This design would eliminate the WI closet … in which case I would opt for built in wardrobes instead … added to the outside wall that would form the new Bathroom Space

Like where you have the red line by the door entrance now … what’s that 3 or so feet deep ?

Then run those built in wardrobes across to wherever you put the door to the MBath

I’d prob put it in the corner near the two windows …

You could then end up with a wardrobe area maybe 3 x 9 or 10

But if it’s built Ins … you could go floor to ceiling. Good use of space.

Maybe even carve out a linen closet at the end of the run … could be more shallow as it’s only for towels & bedding. Maybe have it’s doors face the window / foyer area in front of the bathroom door

The long run of built in run will now face the foot of your bed (based on diagram)

So you could also use it to incorporate a tv or an electric fireplace etc

GOOGLE = master bedroom built ins

For ideas.
Last edited by PointsHubby on Sep 30th, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
Imho the walk in closets are a luxury for big homes. I would always give more room to a bathroom and get rid of that WIK.... but that its me, you may think differently
[OP]
Mar 14, 2018
846 posts
776 upvotes
Cool, thanks, guys.

Actually, my contractor recommended expanding the bathroom into the walk-in closet as well. And build a wardrobe instead.
BUT, of course, my wife is against that idea right now. She wants to keep the walk-in closet... :)

So, unfortunately, none of the options are 100% satisfactory right now... But I think we have weeded out the original layout change idea.
In the end, we might give up the expansion idea and just replace the current bathtub with a walk-in shower. And get a slightly bigger vanity...
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12161 posts
2238 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I wouldn't do it. If you want a shower, then just convert the existing tub into a shower. IMO a free standing tub looks nice in photos but is completely useless in practice. Nobody takes baths.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
clutch31 wrote:
current.png
try this layout, NE corner shower NWcorner vanity
at the bottom toilet and bath tub

Sep 30, 2010
132 posts
122 upvotes
Mississauga
Yes I would, but ditch the tub for a double vanity. You spend more time in your washroom than you think ;)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20811 posts
19040 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
board123 wrote: I wouldn't do it. If you want a shower, then just convert the existing tub into a shower. IMO a free standing tub looks nice in photos but is completely useless in practice. Nobody takes baths.
jackpie wrote: Yes I would, but ditch the tub for a double vanity. You spend more time in your washroom than you think ;)
More North Americans shower than use a bath these days
But it’s still a fact that a 4 pc ensuite … with separate stand alone bath
Is more luxurious than a 3 pc bath
And therefore better resale value

Mind you … a 2 sink vanity in a MBath is these days considered a must

Every house needs at least one tub … for better resale
They are still a requirement if you have kids

And when it comes to MBaths … it’s a lux item
Cuz … there are still women / wives / mothers … who love a nice relaxing long soak after a hard day as a way to relax & unwind
And it’s best done in the MBath … as it tends to be more private / serene
Than being overrun with little kids that will follow Mom into the main (their ) bathroom

Lol, back in the day, when we had little ones at home
it was the one place Mom could disappear to … and the kids wouldn’t always look
“where’s Mom ? “
Just conveniently got the reply “She’s out for a bit”
(And she was … out as in … OUT of the picture, OUT of reach, OUT OF BOUNDS )

A tub can do wonders for your marriage !
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12161 posts
2238 upvotes
Richmond Hill
PointsHubby wrote: More North Americans shower than use a bath these days
Depends on your local demographics. For me, a tub is negative value because it's a giant useless thing that's just taking up square footage in the bathroom that I paid for but can't use. And then I have to pay more to remove it.

Kids is a non-issue. This is just the master ensuite. I'm sure there's a regular bathtub in another bathroom somewhere.
[OP]
Mar 14, 2018
846 posts
776 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: More North Americans shower than use a bath these days

Mind you … a 2 sink vanity in a MBath is these days considered a must

Every house needs at least one tub … for better resale
They are still a requirement if you have kids

And when it comes to MBaths … it’s a lux item
Cuz … there are still women / wives / mothers … who love a nice relaxing long soak after a hard day as a way to relax & unwind
And it’s best done in the MBath … as it tends to be more private / serene
Than being overrun with little kids that will follow Mom into the main (their ) bathroom

Lol, back in the day, when we had little ones at home
it was the one place Mom could disappear to … and the kids wouldn’t always look
“where’s Mom ? “
Just conveniently got the reply “She’s out for a bit”
(And she was … out as in … OUT of the picture, OUT of reach, OUT OF BOUNDS )

A tub can do wonders for your marriage !
Ok... but a master bedroom with a 4 piece ensuite but without a closet... (nevermind a walk-in) I feel like that could be a big negative.

We both enjoy bath in a tub so having one in the house is a must. We will keep one in the second bathroom. But we thought it'd nice to have on in our bedroom as well... especially as our kid grows up...