Home & Garden

Would you put this on tarion to have this repaired?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2023 8:53 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1956 posts
694 upvotes
ORLEANS

Would you put this on tarion to have this repaired?

The guy the set the tile covered the entire vent. He didn’t cut the tile to size before sticking it on. This happened to 3 vents. But the other 2 vents are still not bad. But this one is horrible. They destroyed that vent and bent it to force air through the vent covers? And it doesn’t even sit close to the tile surface.
Images
  • 39ACF1C4-9D0B-49C7-BB16-4994CDED73C5.jpeg
  • AF3EEA81-B43D-4BA9-A49B-169FC4326AB7.jpeg
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1969 posts
1559 upvotes
Brampton
Absolutely, looks terrible also you have nothing to loose by asking for this to be fixed.
Dec 8, 2013
518 posts
743 upvotes
I have learned the hard way that you have a lot to lose when you list small things. 1) time to follow-up and 2) risk of bigger damage as they fix small defect. The cynic in me thinks that 1 and 2 are by design to dissuade you from listing things.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19755 posts
23171 upvotes
GTA
That's shit. How will you even put a vent cover on that?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6437 posts
3021 upvotes
Durham
For sure. Tarion it.

It was NOT done properly.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1956 posts
694 upvotes
ORLEANS
I want them to fix it, but they would need to remove baseboard and quarter trim. And then replace 2 tiles. They are 24x24 tiles. And then the plywood they cut is not even the same dimensions as the vent hole anymore. Too much plywood was removed. Then if they re tile that area, the area beneath tile would be about 1 inch wide hollow.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1969 posts
1559 upvotes
Brampton
Palidino wrote: I want them to fix it, but they would need to remove baseboard and quarter trim. And then replace 2 tiles. They are 24x24 tiles. And then the plywood they cut is not even the same dimensions as the vent hole anymore. Too much plywood was removed. Then if they re tile that area, the area beneath tile would be about 1 inch wide hollow.
Not your problem, you list on Tarion it's only way it will get fixed if they have to remove tiles let them but make sure they fix plywood as well and its fixed to your satisfaction otherwise is failed repair and you just complain until they get it right.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4675 posts
1934 upvotes
GTA
I'd absolutely list it for repair. You paid a ton for your home and shouldn't have to settle for crap like that. Some things you do have to let go but that shouldn't be one of them IMO.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
3503 posts
1396 upvotes
Toronto
If you put a vent cover on it, what would it look like?

Would it actually cover all the tile damage or would you still see the shitty cut job that they did?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1956 posts
694 upvotes
ORLEANS
kopokipi wrote: Not your problem, you list on Tarion it's only way it will get fixed if they have to remove tiles let them but make sure they fix plywood as well and its fixed to your satisfaction otherwise is failed repair and you just complain until they get it right.
The_Professor wrote: I'd absolutely list it for repair. You paid a ton for your home and shouldn't have to settle for crap like that. Some things you do have to let go but that shouldn't be one of them IMO.
Super_Chicken wrote: If you put a vent cover on it, what would it look like?

Would it actually cover all the tile damage or would you still see the shitty cut job that they did?

Thanks everyone. I will put on tarion for repair. The cover fits on it almost perfectly. Just one end doesn’t sit flush to the floor. Once stepped on, the other side will pop up lol. It just bugs me the tile guy did a horrible lazy job.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4735 posts
4233 upvotes
Toronto
Palidino wrote: Thanks everyone. I will put on tarion for repair. The cover fits on it almost perfectly. Just one end doesn’t sit flush to the floor. Once stepped on, the other side will pop up lol. It just bugs me the tile guy did a horrible lazy job.
You have to think about the next home-inspector and what they're going to tell a prospective buyer when you go to sell. Any decent inspector is going to lift registers and see what's going on, and the quality of that work would be a red flag for a buyer.

It sucks that these new homes are slapped together so quickly by people who have had 5 minutes of 'training'. Better off buying a 50 year old home and reno'ing yourself.
Nov 30, 2009
679 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto/Mississauga
Put it on the Tarion list. If anything, the builder might give you some compensation for it if they don't or can't repair it for whatever reason.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1956 posts
694 upvotes
ORLEANS
How about these other 2 vent holes?
Images
  • D6D2431B-CF27-497F-979A-4588393E9A65.jpeg
  • DCAB59C9-3B6F-4F4F-BC62-298DE5593C52.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6458 posts
7003 upvotes
Toronto
Sloppy but if they're covered by the supplied vent covers, they're fine.

Fancy flush tile vent covers are sometimes an upgrade option.

I'd just seal everything up properly with filler beads/caulking, and get a style of grill you prefer.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1578 posts
1109 upvotes
Longueuil
People laugh at handy men found on kijiji. The quality seems to be the same for builders I guess.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8636 posts
5592 upvotes
Mississauga
Builders don’t care. Their subs are paid by the job not by the hour. No pride in work anymore.
Nov 10, 2019
645 posts
638 upvotes
My goodness was the builder not trained on simple measuring lol

Looks like they slapped the tiles on first before cutting and had to "guess" where the hole was

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)