Careers

Would you quit your job ASAP for a better one ?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2016 1:18 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: If you were offered a better paying job from your current one when would you quit ?

• Total votes: 17. You have voted on this poll.
Quit ASAP

65%
Wiat to settle down and then hand my resignation

35%

Poll ended at Jul 24th, 2016 10:03 am

[OP]
Mar 17, 2015
181 posts
49 upvotes
North York, ON

Would you quit your job ASAP for a better one ?

Hi Guys,

If you have a job offer which pays you well from your current one with bonuses, has a great work environment would you quit ASAP ? or wait to get settled down in new one and then hand your resignation
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
3680 posts
1184 upvotes
Canada
take your vacation/sick leaves and then quit.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35732 posts
21823 upvotes
Center of Universe
Never burn your bridges!
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1545 posts
1444 upvotes
badsha wrote: take your vacation/sick leaves and then quit.
Very selfish and childish way to quit. You will end up burning bridges and won't get a good reference from them.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2015
181 posts
49 upvotes
North York, ON
Hindenburg1 wrote: Very selfish and childish way to quit. You will end up burning bridges and won't get a good reference from them.
What do you recommend ? I personally can't handle two jobs and school and with summer coming I want to enjoy my time not work like a slave
Jan 15, 2009
81 posts
13 upvotes
Omemee, Ontario
Cocoboy1993 wrote: What do you recommend ? I personally can't handle two jobs and school and with summer coming I want to enjoy my time not work like a slave
Work hard while young so you can "enjoy your time" in early retirement.
NEVER burn a good bridge as they can be very useful later because in real life stuff happens and the best of plans sometimes don't go as. jmo.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4737 posts
2860 upvotes
Your bosses could be monitoring this thread

:D
[OP]
Mar 17, 2015
181 posts
49 upvotes
North York, ON
bhrm wrote: Your bosses could be monitoring this thread

:D
I work at Canadian Tire so I don't think they would and they know I am looking for a new job lol
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1545 posts
1444 upvotes
Cocoboy1993 wrote: What do you recommend ? I personally can't handle two jobs and school and with summer coming I want to enjoy my time not work like a slave
Can you explain your situation in more detail? It is unclear.

From what I understood, you work somewhere that you like which has good benefits and you have a job offer for a higher pay. Why would you be working 2 jobs and what do vacations have to do with it?

If I were you, I would talk to the hr for the new job and simply find out what carries over/gets matched from your current job. Then hand in a 2 week notice and finish out those two weeks. You never know how things might play out in the future. You might come back to this current job or need a good reference.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2015
181 posts
49 upvotes
North York, ON
Hindenburg1 wrote: Can you explain your situation in more detail? It is unclear.

From what I understood, you work somewhere that you like which has good benefits and you have a job offer for a higher pay. Why would you be working 2 jobs and what do vacations have to do with it?

If I were you, I would talk to the hr for the new job and simply find out what carries over/gets matched from your current job. Then hand in a 2 week notice and finish out those two weeks. You never know how things might play out in the future. You might come back to this current job or need a good reference.
I work at Canadian Tire as a Sales Associate and get paid minimum wage. There are no perks and as a 22 year old I personally hate it. I took a job offer at some other place which pays me $12/per hour small but great environment. So the question is obvious should I hand my resignation asap or wait till i get settled down and then hand my resignation
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1545 posts
1444 upvotes
Cocoboy1993 wrote: I work at Canadian Tire as a Sales Associate and get paid minimum wage. There are no perks and as a 22 year old I personally hate it. I took a job offer at some other place which pays me $12/per hour small but great environment. So the question is obvious should I hand my resignation asap or wait till i get settled down and then hand my resignation
Oh ok, got it. If you hate it and have another offer on a table then why stay? Hand in your resignation asap.

I get what you're trying to do with vacations and all now. Take all the sick days/vacation and then start the new job. It's a risky move but you basically get double pay. I still wouldn't do it though.