Home & Garden

Would you rather buy appliances from smaller stores or big box?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2021 12:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11562 posts
1507 upvotes

Would you rather buy appliances from smaller stores or big box?

Stove, Fridge, over the range microwave.

Assuming price is almost the same, I'm thinking of Home Depot vs the smaller guys (TA appliance, tasco, etc). Costco is sold out of what I want.

For any after purchase support, do you deal directly with the manufacturer first or the store you bought it from? Sure I'd like to support a small business, but Costco I would choose because I know in a rare case the manufacturer won't help I'll just say f* it, I'll return it.

But between HD and small stores I have no idea. If i need some kind of help after purchase which way would be easier to deal with?

I
Last edited by slowtyper on Feb 9th, 2021 12:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25350 posts
4462 upvotes
I always support small businesses when possible.
Aug 5, 2010
385 posts
139 upvotes
Support small business, but investigate who you are dealing with first. Some will offer support on the products, but others do not. Example: purchased kitchen suite from Goemans. Had an issue with a broken handle and went back to them. They don't do any service or sell parts, had to go to a third party. BBQ purchase from a small local dealer was the opposite - when i needed support or parts they had everything, and gave me great advice on fixing before throwing new parts at it.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36062 posts
10157 upvotes
Ottawa
I check prices and if the brand I want is cheaper at another shop, I buy the deal.
I do support local but, money talks. Small difference will certainly go to the smaller business but, large differences, especially when the items I want are on sale, I go for the price,
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4809 posts
1339 upvotes
Price, first of all.

But if they're the same, I go with the bigger store. I'd rather deal with HD or Costco than a small business who might not be able to afford to "make it right" if I have an issue.
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1959 posts
223 upvotes
Mississauga
i go after the cheapest price and buy warranty.

I've purchased from lowes and HD....dealt with warranty issues - but lowes/HD push me directly to the manufacturer - which is annoying but I guess the norm.
Dec 26, 2012
275 posts
233 upvotes
TORONTO
how are people finding price differences? i feel all appliances are price fixed by the manufacturer. Kitchen Aid, Jenn Air, Thermador, Viking, Bosch, etc, all seem to be the same price everywhere and sometimes there's an event where you can save 20% if you buy 3 or more items etc.

anyways, i just stick to appliance stores.
Oct 17, 2002
948 posts
151 upvotes
Oakville
As long as the price difference isnt too much, I'm buying at Costco. The return and warranty more than makes up any small variances in price.

(and from all the reviews, I would definitely avoid CAS, Appliance Canada, etc...)
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2492 posts
915 upvotes
Woodbridge
I prefer to buy my appliances from the place where I can call Mr Joe @647-123-4567 rather than calling 1-800- keep pressing 1 & 2 , provided the price difference is marginal.
As other have quoted Costco remains the first choice when possible.
To me nothing beats personalized service and care.
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13868 posts
10130 upvotes
Big box stores are easier IMO. Just bought a small appliance from a smaller shop and 1.5 months later I’m still waiting.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1249 posts
1297 upvotes
West GTA
Costco, then local shops that have a good reputation and staying power, then big boxes, then sketchy smaller shops. Buy local wherever possible, both made and owned, but don't do so if you'll get charged a massive premium or have warranty issues.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1142 posts
637 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Will never purchase from a small appliance shop ever again, unless in stock. Long story short, last February ordered a fridge from Tasco Appliances. After waiting nearly 7 months and getting the run around on the numerous missed expected delivery dates. I cancelled my order with Tasco, got my refund. Place my order (same fridge) with HD, fridge arrived 1 day less of the target date of 6 weeks.