Automotive

Would you rather get a fully loaded compact, or middle trim midsize?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2017 5:49 pm

Poll: Loaded compact or mid-spec midsize?

• Total votes: 51. You have voted on this poll.
Loaded compact

41%
Mid-spec midsize

59%
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
790 posts
592 upvotes

Would you rather get a fully loaded compact, or middle trim midsize?

I know it's a bit of an apple vs. orange comparison, but what do you think? A decked-out compact car (let's say Civic) can go up to $30,000. For that price (+/- $1000 or so), you could get a low to mid trim Accord.

While a loaded compact will include all the bells and whistles like leather seats, all safety features, LED headlights, etc., those may already come standard in the middle trim midsize.

Also, would you rather get a loaded 2017/2018 compact, or a midsize that is about to be replaced (i.e. 2017 Camry/Accord/Mazda6)? Outgoing models get like $2000 to $4000 off MSRP.

I brought up the Civic because the newest iteration is pushing the envelope in terms of class size. While the exterior dimensions are smaller, the interior size (passenger and trunk space) are actually very close to say Camry or Mazda6. Then again, it's still a Civic, so insurance rates on a "compact" is still higher than a midsize.
Last edited by BBZero on Nov 24th, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
31 replies
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
790 posts
592 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Depends what you want and need.
Many people are actually looking for a small compact vehicle for ease of use, parking and fuel economy. At the same time they might want extra gadgets for funsies!
Yeah, hence apple vs. orange.

Fuel economy are getting close though. Compacts get around mid-high 30s (MPG); whereas, midsize go up to mid 30s. Size-wise, a Civic/Jetta is about 8-9 inches shorter than Camry/Mazda6.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2597 posts
1213 upvotes
The "compacts" have been narrowing the gap in physical size compared to the midsized vehicles over the past several years.
It really depends on what you use it for and what your prefer.
I personally think if you have an option for two vehicles, get a hatch/SUV and a compact.
Otherwise, if long road trips are in your future or you drive people that complain about being squished, get the midsized.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1103 posts
358 upvotes
SaskBerta
The more space the better. I'd go midsized, or wait until I could afford better.
Mind you my sedan is usually a full size.
Nov 18, 2017
117 posts
53 upvotes
I leased a fully loaded (Touring) 2017 Civic sedan in March and couldn't be happier. Went in with unhaggle, got it down to around $25,500 plus freight, IIRC. It's plenty large for our family of 4, and the trunk is huge. Very efficient (low 5s/100km on highway), has everything. Can't go wrong. It is definitely not a small car.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20526 posts
5985 upvotes
GTA
I got a fully loaded compact hatchback for $30k, one thats commonly used as a rental. It's got some nice soft bits like seats, steering wheel, 7" touch screen, upgraded engine, but you can tell which parts came from the base model. Dat plastic, reminds me of the family Ford Windstar circa panels, it can cut you good in some places.

I've considered modding it but honestly, in the end its still a econohatch. Money went to other hobbies.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
790 posts
592 upvotes
coriolis wrote: I got a fully loaded compact hatchback for $30k, one thats commonly used as a rental. It's got some nice soft bits like seats, steering wheel, 7" touch screen, upgraded engine, but you can tell which parts came from the base model. Dat plastic, reminds me of the family Ford Windstar circa panels, it can cut you good in some places.

I've considered modding it but honestly, in the end its still a econohatch haha
Which car is that? From my experience, rental compacts are usually low-mid trim (cloth seats).
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20526 posts
5985 upvotes
GTA
BBZero wrote: Which car is that? From my experience, rental compacts are usually low-mid trim (cloth seats).
Ford Focus. I have the ST model.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
790 posts
592 upvotes
MareCognitum wrote: I leased a fully loaded (Touring) 2017 Civic sedan in March and couldn't be happier. Went in with unhaggle, got it down to around $25,500 plus freight, IIRC. It's plenty large for our family of 4, and the trunk is huge. Very efficient (low 5s/100km on highway), has everything. Can't go wrong. It is definitely not a small car.
Yes the newest Civic is surprisingly big on the inside, but still small enough on the outside. It's a great car with a mix of performance and comfort. With that said, it's still lacking certain premium features like rear air vents, memory seats, and lumbar support.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19501 posts
12565 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The thread seems to agree with the standard Canadian feelings about the subject - Compact with luxury/comfort options is the way to go. In the US, the opposite seems to sell better - larger cars with lower trim levels over compacts.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12474 posts
2703 upvotes
Mississauga
I'd go for the compact with all the bells and whistles too. A lot of compacts these days are pretty close to the mid-size cars in interior dimensions anyway.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15360 posts
9890 upvotes
Toronto
I had a loaded compact, would rather mid size.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12650 posts
7307 upvotes
Brampton
Focus RS vs a Fusion....
Golf R vs a Jetta...
CTR vs Accord...

It's hard to say it's all down to the use and preference.
May 27, 2007
226 posts
49 upvotes
Vaughan
I think for me personally, I would rather have a smaller car with more features.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
790 posts
592 upvotes
polk wrote: I think for me personally, I would rather have a smaller car with more features.
Yeah but think of the value! You literally get more car in a midsize :P
A middle of the pack midsize may already have 80% of the loaded compact's features.

How about a loaded outgoing model midsize?
May 27, 2007
226 posts
49 upvotes
Vaughan
BBZero wrote: Yeah but think of the value! You literally get more car in a midsize :P
A middle of the pack midsize may already have 80% of the loaded compact's features.

How about a loaded outgoing model midsize?
lol! Ok it really depends on individual preference. I think the deal breaker here is whether you need the extra space. If the space is even somewhat important, then no point having a loaded small car. If space is not an issue, i personally prefer the more loaded car because the gadgets make the car a bit more fun to drive. I know some people would prefer the bigger car with a bigger engine but my driving is pretty much 95% city.

With regards to outgoing models, if you can get a fairly good deal on a loaded outgoing model, i think it's a win-win scenario no?
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3942 posts
2686 upvotes
Montreal
Poverty spec V6, to me that's the best value.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
790 posts
592 upvotes
polk wrote: lol! Ok it really depends on individual preference. I think the deal breaker here is whether you need the extra space. If the space is even somewhat important, then no point having a loaded small car. If space is not an issue, i personally prefer the more loaded car because the gadgets make the car a bit more fun to drive. I know some people would prefer the bigger car with a bigger engine but my driving is pretty much 95% city.

With regards to outgoing models, if you can get a fairly good deal on a loaded outgoing model, i think it's a win-win scenario no?
Good points! It's all personal preference.

A fully-loaded outgoing (or even mid-spec) midsize can be great value, but one might buy the "wrong" car for the sake of value!
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2284 posts
1619 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
The funny thing is you can actually fit more stuff in a compact hatchback than in a mid-size sedan due to the design. The only thing a large sedan will do better than a hatchback is provide more comfort for lots of people (more leg room etc). The sedan is an impractical design and shouldn't even exist, every car should be either a hatchback or a wagon. The only reason sedans exist is due to looks, many people don't like the way wagons look and looking cool is more important to them than practicality.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)