Real Estate

Would you Relocate to a small town for higher pay?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2021 11:17 am
[OP]
Member
Mar 26, 2013
364 posts
23 upvotes
Calgary

Would you Relocate to a small town for higher pay?

I have a question. How many people on here who are “city people” would relocate to a small remote town of like 10,000 people ? Example: Northern Ontario? A place like Kenora Ontario or Sioux Lookout, what compensation would you be comfortable with to make that move?
Last edited by lovetolearn on Feb 4th, 2021 10:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
16 replies
Jr. Member
Mar 13, 2019
148 posts
93 upvotes
Its different, I can't even get a pizza (or any food for that matter) delivered in this town I recently moved to and there's nothing around, you have to drive 30km to get any decent shopping. That far north you get a much shorter summer, it can snow in June and September, doesn't leave much of a summer! Its double salary for a reason. I remember a story about a Toronto banker that got a big raise to go up to Elliot lake and run a bank, he and his wife went - but it wasn't long before his wife was hitting the bottle because there was nothing else to do. Like a 26'er a day or something crazy and they ended up moving back!
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
4161 posts
32379 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lo23HH wrote: Its different, I can't even get a pizza (or any food for that matter) delivered in this town I recently moved to and there's nothing around, you have to drive 30km to get any decent shopping. That far north you get a much shorter summer, it can snow in June and September, doesn't leave much of a summer! Its double salary for a reason. I remember a story about a Toronto banker that got a big raise to go up to Elliot lake and run a bank, he and his wife went - but it wasn't long before his wife was hitting the bottle because there was nothing else to do. Like a 26'er a day or something crazy and they ended up moving back!
There's no reason to work if you can't socialize and entertain yourself? You're bound to become an alcoholic. I get it, it's a personal story, but a small town has a feel. I remember being up in Sault Ste. Marie and waking up everyday and going to the parking lot to blaze there, and I think it was still illegal to smoke outdoors. People would whiff, give me the strangest looks, but they let me be. I'm a smoker, not a drinker. You get to having problems when you surround yourself with just yourself? There's a deeper problem there. Let's not get into the small towns. I think people in small towns get used to strangers faster than in the big cities, where you become a product and it's up to you to decide if it's worth it or not
Newbie
Apr 9, 2020
66 posts
55 upvotes
What is base salary.

If it doubles 100k, to 200k, I will go. Save some money and look for another job once I am ready to move. Potentially I can save lots of money for downplay.

If it doules from 200k to 400k, I will go even if it is in Arctic. I can work until I can not tolerate , I will move to other places.

If it doules from 50k to 100k, I will not go because I think you current job underpay you and you should quit and find another job in the same city.

It depends on the money you get in the end. At least it is for me :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 2, 2020
1189 posts
1610 upvotes
lovetolearn wrote: I have a question. How many people on here who are “city people” would relocate to a small remote town of like 10,000 people ? Example: Northern Ontario? A place like Kenora Ontario or Sioux Lookout, for double your salary?
I would. I’m a downtown person and love it. But I also adore peace and quiet and if I got double the pay I would consider it. Obviously it could get lonely - it really depends on how you cope and take care of your own mental well being. I’m the type of person who could be completely alone for months and it would not bother me. So it really depends on your coping mechanisms. For some it may drive them into depression for others it may open up for a powerful journey and not only a chance at a career opportunity but a chance to know oneself. Being more isolated can actually provide an opportunity for personal growth it all depends on how you cope.
Member
May 7, 2015
340 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ZhaoW9051 wrote: What is base salary.

If it doubles 100k, to 200k, I will go. Save some money and look for another job once I am ready to move. Potentially I can save lots of money for downplay.

If it doules from 200k to 400k, I will go even if it is in Arctic. I can work until I can not tolerate , I will move to other places.

If it doules from 50k to 100k, I will not go because I think you current job underpay you and you should quit and find another job in the same city.

It depends on the money you get in the end. At least it is for me :)
This. Highly depends on the number doubling anything less than 80k not worth
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8181 posts
534 upvotes
Depends on how much and where is that "small town". Not every 10K town is equal.
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
34959 posts
4262 upvotes
Winnipeg
stinastr wrote: There's no reason to work if you can't socialize and entertain yourself? You're bound to become an alcoholic. I get it, it's a personal story, but a small town has a feel. I remember being up in Sault Ste. Marie and waking up everyday and going to the parking lot to blaze there, and I think it was still illegal to smoke outdoors. People would whiff, give me the strangest looks, but they let me be. I'm a smoker, not a drinker. You get to having problems when you surround yourself with just yourself? There's a deeper problem there. Let's not get into the small towns. I think people in small towns get used to strangers faster than in the big cities, where you become a product and it's up to you to decide if it's worth it or not
Well if there is enough $$$ I would move to Sault Ste. Marie.
Sr. Member
Jan 28, 2017
729 posts
779 upvotes
Markham
ZhaoW9051 wrote: What is base salary.

If it doubles 100k, to 200k, I will go. Save some money and look for another job once I am ready to move. Potentially I can save lots of money for downplay.

If it doules from 200k to 400k, I will go even if it is in Arctic. I can work until I can not tolerate , I will move to other places.

If it doules from 50k to 100k, I will not go because I think you current job underpay you and you should quit and find another job in the same city.

It depends on the money you get in the end. At least it is for me :)
First 2 cases I would make the move, not the 3rd one. Though I'd still keep a condo in the city as a pied-a-terre when I want to visit friends/family.

Though for the Arctic, you need to consider cost of living. Basic necessities like perishable groceries, gas, housing up in Yellowknife are not cheap!
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
4161 posts
32379 upvotes
Toronto, ON
divx wrote: Well if there is enough $$$ I would move to Sault Ste. Marie.
They mentioned Sioux Lookout, which is just after Thunder Bay, after the Agawa Canyon, Sault Ste Marie is below Thunder Bay, never made it there. Never got to see the Canyon fully but there's probably fresher air and real local groceries. It has its benefits, but when things are up and running, you gotta make it down-(Town) unless they got something a little downgraded locally. The city is a potential exuberance, like a nice car, is it efficient, does it make you much happier? You have to realize and lose focus of the glamour, but there's things to keep you busy if you're a busy bee anywhere, maybe your hobbies might change, maybe you make more like in this case, spend less and end up coming back if you feel it and upgrading. If there's opportunity, the human usually takes it and figures out where it's going. But money alone shouldn't make that rash choice, you'll have more time to yourself. Hopefully that's not a killer and you enjoy doing small things on downtime around the house.

Could be good, could be bad. No one knows, and you may not get all the information of the city online but have to see it for yourself.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1385 posts
1780 upvotes
Isn't the only reason people live in large city because of higher paying jobs?? Why else would someone give up quality of life to cram themselves in high rise condos with hundreds of strangers?

With equal pay im pretty sure most if not all people would lile outside major cities.
You say double the salary to live in a small town??? Damn right i would.

Great outdoors or trying to avoid eye contact with a hobo pissing all over himself as you walk down the street?


I lived in montreal the first 20 years of my life. I though I had it all figured out until I moved out. I would never go back.


10k is pretty small tho. Life is about balance. Doesn't have to be one extreme or the other
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
34959 posts
4262 upvotes
Winnipeg
stinastr wrote: They mentioned Sioux Lookout, which is just after Thunder Bay, after the Agawa Canyon, Sault Ste Marie is below Thunder Bay, never made it there. Never got to see the Canyon fully but there's probably fresher air and real local groceries. It has its benefits, but when things are up and running, you gotta make it down-(Town) unless they got something a little downgraded locally. The city is a potential exuberance, like a nice car, is it efficient, does it make you much happier? You have to realize and lose focus of the glamour, but there's things to keep you busy if you're a busy bee anywhere, maybe your hobbies might change, maybe you make more like in this case, spend less and end up coming back if you feel it and upgrading. If there's opportunity, the human usually takes it and figures out where it's going. But money alone shouldn't make that rash choice, you'll have more time to yourself. Hopefully that's not a killer and you enjoy doing small things on downtime around the house.

Could be good, could be bad. No one knows, and you may not get all the information of the city online but have to see it for yourself.
I lived in multiples cities, provinces and countries large and small, from 700 people town to 10 million pop city, my current comfortable zone is 200k to 1mil pop city but I can be convinced if there is $$$ and benefits to go beyond my comfortable range.
Jr. Member
Nov 22, 2009
109 posts
128 upvotes
Vancouver
Nope, life quality is also important and what I enjoy doing and my friends and family are not there.
I don't want to live with alot of money and not enjoy it with my friends and loved ones
[OP]
Member
Mar 26, 2013
364 posts
23 upvotes
Calgary
Age may play into a factor as well .. people in their twenties with no dependents may be more inclined to move away for an adventure.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5395 posts
2498 upvotes
gulfstream
bear20 wrote: First 2 cases I would make the move, not the 3rd one. Though I'd still keep a condo in the city as a pied-a-terre when I want to visit friends/family.

Though for the Arctic, you need to consider cost of living. Basic necessities like perishable groceries, gas, housing up in Yellowknife are not cheap!
Yellowknife, aside from weather, isnt that bad ..groceries fuel and housing all more expensive...but so is pay..teachers can pull 100k+. northern allowance tax break..

not T.O , but also not a rat race and quality of life is way better
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2627 posts
442 upvotes
sometimes I find even the GTA boring and small, I can't imagine myself living in a small town

Top