• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2019 6:26 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 2, 2017
702 posts
489 upvotes

Would you run 3 winter , 1 all season?

A drill bit nicked one of my winter tires (totally my fault) and left a 2-3mm hole on the sidewall.

I'm thinking of just using one of the all seasons as a replacement instead of buying a single new tire (getting it mounted and all that jazz).

Car is a bmw x3 so it has AWD, does it really matter where I put the all season tire? back or front?
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
8 replies
May 22, 2018
167 posts
342 upvotes
You can go 2-2 possibly. I wouldn't do 1 though. Imagine a scenario where a car has one wheel stuck in sand while the others are on concrete. Essentially you'll be in this scenario all the time as one wheel will have different traction than the others.
Nov 10, 2015
293 posts
244 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
+1 for 2 and 2. Dont run one odd brand.. It will cause uneven wear and less grip in extreme conditions
Oct 19, 2008
99 posts
57 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
On top of the other reasons it's a bad idea, depending on the AWD system (I'm not familiar with BMWs) you can actually damage it by running differently worn/sizes tires on different corners.
Feb 2, 2018
414 posts
382 upvotes
Montreal
Sounds like a recipe for wearing out your AWD components. AWD functions by evaluating the difference in rotations between the tires. So if you have a large enough delta between tire radii, the system will try to compensate all the time, which they're never designed to. Your BMW may even have a plastic gear inside the transfer case, which will only wear out faster.

Having different grip characteristics will also likely mess up your electronic stability control behavior.

Not a good idea.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13228 posts
7320 upvotes
Toronto
azmongold wrote: A drill bit nicked one of my winter tires (totally my fault) and left a 2-3mm hole on the sidewall.

I'm thinking of just using one of the all seasons as a replacement instead of buying a single new tire (getting it mounted and all that jazz).

Car is a bmw x3 so it has AWD, does it really matter where I put the all season tire? back or front?
this is a terrible idea
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5512 posts
1917 upvotes
GTEH!
You'd be compromising the 1 corner of your vehice whereever you place the A/S tire. I wouldn't do this. Just get a new winter tire and you're good to go.
😎
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34413 posts
20447 upvotes
Center of Universe
Bought from Costco?
Use the road hazard warranty...