Parenting & Family

Would you send your kids back to dance class?

Poll: Will you send your kids back to dance class or close contact indoor activities?

• Total votes: 16. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

44%
No

56%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1436 posts
376 upvotes
Ottawa

Would you send your kids back to dance class?

Wondering if parents on here feel comfortable sending their kids (8-12yr old) back to dance class or any indoor activities that involves being close to other kids?

Sign ups are open for the fall for competitive dancing and we were told in order to be signed up, we have to attend summer camp in two weeks.

The school did list “measures” their taking for their classes 2m apart, sanitizing equipment... this is the only activity my daughter is not willing to drop, and we are really having a hard time convincing her to do so.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1723 posts
1152 upvotes
Toronto
After long consideration we decided to not send our daughter back to dance school.
Mostly because I am high risk, the class is indoors and the noise about a second wave coming this fall is getting louder.

Too bad we already pay the full program plus the costume for the dance performance at the end of it.

Is going to be a really tough decision IF the government decide to open schools in September.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1436 posts
376 upvotes
Ottawa
ToDealHunter wrote: After long consideration we decided not sending our daughter back to dance school. Mostly because I am high risk and the noise about a second wave coming is getting louder. Too bad we already pay the full program plus the costume for the dance performance at the end of it.
No kidding, we paid 5k for costumes/competition entrance fees in Jan for the March-July competitions.

The thing is if school is opened back up for fall, then dance classes wouldn’t really make a difference, since they will be around hundreds of other kids during the day in school vs just a dozen kids in their dance class.
Jun 23, 2006
383 posts
146 upvotes
I'm hesitant to send my primary kids back to dance class. It might be ok in the studio with distancing but what about the change rooms? It's still warm now so it might be ok for them to wear their bodysuit under and just whip off their street clothes but when it gets cold then there's layers to peel off and put back on after. There won't be any live performances with a big audience anytime soon so the value of getting stage experience is lost, too bad.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
3807 posts
2361 upvotes
Ottawa
oceans_end wrote: No kidding, we paid 5k for costumes/competition entrance fees in Jan for the March-July competitions.

The thing is if school is opened back up for fall, then dance classes wouldn’t really make a difference, since they will be around hundreds of other kids during the day in school vs just a dozen kids in their dance class.
Well the idea of school return is to limit the number they are exposed to. Actually adding multiple activity let's it spread much further. We have forgotten a bit in Canada what flatten the curve means. This is not Ebola and our proximity to the US means we will not eliminate the virus if that was ever possible. The idea is to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed not keep anybody from getting the virus.

I don't know how important dace class is but if you won't send them now you are looking at least until next summer before you will feel more confident. Missing a year will certainly set them back a lot.