Wow.. 10% non resident mortgages under 25 years of age

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2018 8:26 am
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
9644 posts
7242 upvotes
Thats good... they got money. We need more of these foreigners here! Rather them, then some obnoxious kid who drives an Uber and thinks he deserves to live in a detached house.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4084 posts
1312 upvotes
Oshawa
Well ... just recently one of our client's closed a purchase on a $8 Million home ... the mortgage was $4 Million ... purchaser was 19 years old ... guarantors none other than his father ....

Monthly mortgage payment ... $21000 ... WOW!

They have money ... who cares!
16' x 11' Living Room with 11' Cathedral Ceiling. 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
9644 posts
7242 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote: Well ... just recently one of our client's closed a purchase on a $8 Million home ... the mortgage was $4 Million ... purchaser was 19 years old ... guarantors none other than his father ....

Beyonce and Jay-Z have a $52 million dollar mortgage with $149,000 monthly mortgage payment... they can afford it...lots and lots and lots of money and wealth in this world...
Last edited by Sanyo on Feb 6th, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4084 posts
1312 upvotes
Oshawa
Sanyo wrote: Beyonce and Jay-Z have a $52 million dollar mortgage with $149,000 monthly mortgage payment... they can afford it...lots and lots and lots of money and wealth in this world...
Those are celebrities ... different world ... different class.

If you're going that route .. then mind as well say how many properties Trump has ... what about Zuckerberg or Gates ...

You gotta look at the "normal" Joe ... not ones that are in the news all the time.
16' x 11' Living Room with 11' Cathedral Ceiling. 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
7309 posts
7809 upvotes
Toronto
Doesn't surprise me. I know a lot of people who came here as students and worked extremely hard and got good degrees in tech, medical or engineering fields. Takes awhile to get PR but some still buy.

Then you get people with a gr 10 education wondering why they cant afford a house.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10032 posts
1501 upvotes
Garth Turner would probably not address this since he doesn't believe foreigners play a significant role.

And that is just for those who need mortgages...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5497 posts
1382 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Some lenders through mortgage brokers have a "stated income" program, where the formal income verification requirements are scrapped with a >=10% downpayment. Instead you specify what industry you work in and the lender draws an income based on average/median statistics.

If the investors are OK with taking on the risk, then so be it.
Consultant, Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Tax & Finance
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7618 posts
3687 upvotes
If you legally and honestly earn the money you are spending, you will be a responsible consumer and contributor to society. In other words, your money is earned through hard work or legitimate business practices as opposed to illegal activities including tax evasion. Any other situation is not just bad for the society who welcomes this person but also disastrous for the individual.
Feb 2, 2018
42 posts
20 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote: Well ... just recently one of our client's closed a purchase on a $8 Million home ... the mortgage was $4 Million ... purchaser was 19 years old ... guarantors none other than his father ....

Just curious, was your client of Asian descent?
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
2028 posts
1008 upvotes
Houston, TX
FirstGear wrote: Some lenders through mortgage brokers have a "stated income" program, where the formal income verification requirements are scrapped with a >=10% downpayment. Instead you specify what industry you work in and the lender draws an income based on average/median statistics.

If the investors are OK with taking on the risk, then so be it.

AFAIK it's 35%. With almost 40% "downpayment" TD bank was quite due diligent in verifying my income. I was not buying a 8M home however :)
Make the face great again
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5497 posts
1382 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
asa1973 wrote: AFAIK it's 35%. With almost 40% "downpayment" TD bank was quite due diligent in verifying my income. I was not buying a 8M home however :)
There is that program too, but it's a different program; not the "Stated Income" one. Stated Income basically takes your word for it and then compares your number to that typically found in your industry, as long as you can provide >=10% downpayment.

Yours sounds like CIBC's New Immigrant program... basically, there is no formal income requirement if you have >=35% downpayment/equity. The lender somewhat pretends you already own the house outright, then extends you a HELOC that you "spent". Lender then just cares you fork out the payments somehow. If you do not, then lender will happily take your home, take a chunk out of your downpayment/equity, and sell it...
Consultant, Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Tax & Finance
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
2028 posts
1008 upvotes
Houston, TX
FirstGear wrote: There is that program too, but it's a different program; not the "Stated Income" one. Stated Income basically takes your word for it and then compares your number to that typically found in your industry, as long as you can provide >=10% downpayment.

Yours sounds like CIBC's New Immigrant program... basically, there is no formal income requirement if you have >=35% downpayment/equity. The lender somewhat pretends you already own the house outright, then extends you a HELOC that you "spent". Lender then just cares you fork out the payments somehow. If you do not, then lender will happily take your home, take a chunk out of your downpayment/equity, and sell it...
I know, in Canada it's used to take what you said as true statement :) But hardly it SO used in finances...Either I used "wrong" lenders, or I lack some techniques, but nobody just believe I have an income, they want a PROOF of it. With much more then 10% of equity.

P.s. there is an old Soviet-era joke, about person from USSR went to some western country (it was UK , but really you can put Canada or US here). He went to it almost broke and returned as millionaire. His friend asking him how this was possible?
"I went to play poker. And could you imagine, they BELIEVE your words about which cards you have. And here's came my luck..."

P.s.s. And it's DO 35% DP needed for stated income mortgage (and this is NOT for newcomers as it requires 3 years credit history)
https://mymortgage.ca/loan-programs/75- ... ogram.html
Clients who have difficulty proving their true income can qualify based on 35% down. These are clients who are self employed or salaried but cannot prove their additional income such as bonus’s or profit shares and commissioned.

Under this program the client can obtain a mortgage or line of credit up to 65% of the purchase price of the home regardless of their taxable income.
EDIT: You are (partially) right :) there is a 10% DP program for stated income, coming with some strings attached (good credit, CRA statements, contracts, etc. and more documentation) as well with REQUIRED insurance from Genworth and ONLY brokers who worked with it

Mortgage default insurance rates for self-employed mortgages without proof of income
If you cannot provide sufficient proof of income, you must put down at least 10%, and you will have to find a lender who uses Genworth or Canada Guaranty. Only those two providers3 offer mortgage default insurance for stated income files, at the following rates:Down Payment (% of Home Price) 5%-9.99% 10%-14.99% 15%-19.99% 20% or higher
Insurance premium percentage N/A 5.45% 3.35% 1.90%

https://www.ratehub.ca/self-employed-mortgage
Make the face great again
Jan 21, 2017
829 posts
257 upvotes
Problem here is, these guys don't pay a lot of tax (income tax) and drive up real estate prices.

Unless these guys are investing money in building companies, creating jobs, developing infrastructures, just parking money in houses is pretty bad in my opinion.