Shopping Discussion

Wow, look what came with my refurbed laptop from bestbuy

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2012 9:43 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19633 posts
12707 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
tednolan wrote: Lenovo's name is on the PC, and bestbuy sold it. Therfore the blame lies with them.
So if you buy a used Honda that the salesman claimed had been "refurbished" and it turns out to have a bad battery then it's Honda's fault simply because it's a Honda car? In your world the manufacturer is always responsible no matter who does what to their products?
aalui wrote: I ordered the refurbed dv7 as well which just showed up. It looks like brand new and everything is packed nicely with plastic bags. Unlike the lenovo.
I've bought refurbished ThinkPads from IBM and Lenovo. They were all "like brand new and everything is packed nicely with plastic bags."(*) That yours wasn't further underscores the likelihood that it either wasn't refurbished by Lenovo or that someone had bought it, used it and returned it before you got it. Either way, how can this be Lenovo's fault?

(*) One exception was when the product description warned that there might be exterior "blemishes." There were a couple of small scratches on the LCD cover.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1017 upvotes
bylo wrote: So if you buy a used Honda that the salesman claimed had been "refurbished" and it turns out to have a bad battery then it's Honda's fault simply because it's a Honda car? In your world the manufacturer is always responsible no matter who does what to their products?

I've bought refurbished ThinkPads from IBM and Lenovo. They were all "like brand new and everything is packed nicely with plastic bags."(*) That yours wasn't further underscores the likelihood that it either wasn't refurbished by Lenovo or that someone had bought it, used it and returned it before you got it. Either way, how can this be Lenovo's fault?

If Best Buy is selling Levono (or any company) product that's been refurbished by a third party refurbisher and Levono is aware of this and continues to allow Best Buy to be an authorized retailer I'd still hold Levono indirectly at fault.

I'll agree that they don't have much control over product after they sell it since the only way they could diminish the success of third party refurbishers would be to extend their own warranty by years (thus having fewer product for the third party to get their hands on). However if they know a major retailer is dealing with some random company whose treading on the good name of Levono it throws mud on every authorized product Levono sells in that store.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19633 posts
12707 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
NG wrote: If Best Buy is selling Levono (or any company) product that's been refurbished by a third party refurbisher and Levono is aware of this and continues to allow Best Buy to be an authorized retailer I'd still hold Levono indirectly at fault...
That's why it's important for someone to bring this to Lenovo's attention. I nominate the OP since he has first hand experience and the photo evidence to back it up.

That said there's nothing fundamentally wrong with selling merchandise that's been refurbished (or "recertified", etc.) by an independent third-party providing the seller doesn't represent it as manufacturer-authorized. Again, the OP is in the best position to know how BB represented the refurbishing of this merchandise to him.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1017 upvotes
bylo wrote: That's why it's important for someone to bring this to Lenovo's attention. I nominate the OP since he has first hand experience and the photo evidence to back it up.

That said there's nothing fundamentally wrong with selling merchandise that's been refurbished (or "recertified", etc.) by an independent third-party providing the seller doesn't represent it as manufacturer-authorized. Again, the OP is in the best position to know how BB represented the refurbishing of this merchandise to him.

True...Tho Levono is a pretty big company (as is FS/BB) - if Levono doesn't have the resources to know that there's stock not from their supply chain in the dominant electronics retailer in Canada that'd be disappointing to me.

If we were talking a junk store like Factory Direct or XS Cargo I could see it slipping by them (tho they should keep track of it to keep their brand recognition protected) but FS/BB...I'd be shocked if they didn't know already.

Personally, if the warranty/support isn't provided by the company whose name is on the product, I find it disappointing that they're not legally required to debrand the product like that debranded HP dsktop thread recently in Hot Deals - then there's no doubt if HP has anything to do with the product or not.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19633 posts
12707 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
NG wrote: if Levono doesn't have the resources to know that there's stock not from their supply chain in the dominant electronics retailer in Canada that'd be disappointing to me.
IANAL but I doubt Lenovo can prevent retailers from selling used product providing the store doesn't misrepresent that it's refurbished or guaranteed by Lenovo.
I find it disappointing that they're not legally required to debrand the product like that debranded HP dsktop thread recently in Hot Deals - then there's no doubt if HP has anything to do with the product or not.
And yet even after debranding it's usually pretty obvious who made it, if it's a name brand.

BTW it's interesting to note that while BB Canada makes no claims as to who refurbished their products, BB US explicitly makes that distinction, e.g. HP - Factory-Refurbished Pavilion Laptop ("This product has been refurbished by the manufacturer.") vs. HP - Refurbished Pavilion Laptop ("This product has been refurbished.")

Are the laws in the US are more stringent than in Canada?

Is BB voluntarily more transparent in the US?

Does HP have different policies on the sale of its refurbished products in Canada and the US?

Added: If you follow BB US's Learn more on either page, it reads in part,
Refurbished products are products that were originally purchased and returned by customers. The returned products are sent back to either an original manufacturer, a third-party refurbishment company or Best Buy's own in-house repair centers where they can usually be restored to like-new condition...

Regardless of the reason for their return, refurbished products are inspected by professional technicians who first troubleshoot and then perform any necessary repairs to ensure full functionality. Technicians also assign a cosmetic grade (A, B, C, etc.). Refurbished products sold by Best Buy are Grade A refurbished products, unless otherwise noted, and are processed and reinspected to ensure they look and perform like new...

Our standard Best Buy Return Policy applies. In addition, an original manufacturer, third-party refurbishment company or Best Buy or third-party warranty may be included. See individual product pages for applicable warranty information.
veni, vidi, Visa
Member
User avatar
May 5, 2007
425 posts
23 upvotes
Kris81 wrote: Let me guess.. You're one of those people who buys an item, and there is something super small wrong with it, that you take it back there, cause a big scene & demand a HUGE discount because you've spent a years worth of reward bucks saved up in the last week?


GTFO loser.

Seriously, BB has one of the worst service among the larger electronic retailers. I make this statement from my personal experience.

Read this thread of what happen to me last year at about this time at BB.

otterbox-defender-iphone-4-case-price-m ... -989656/2/
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1017 upvotes
Oh I agree totally - they can't stop retailers from selling their products. However they could, if BB/FS refused to stop selling Levono products that didn't come from the Levono distro network, pull their status as an authorized retailer and not offer warranty support for any Levono products sold at BB/FS.
Agreed it is pretty easy however when I see "debranded" that clearly states to me that HP (or whomever the unit was from) has washed their hands of it, sold it to a reseller and there won't be any warranty support from HP for it.
Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the US consumer protection laws are better. We really lag behind them for that.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 19, 2001
30505 posts
1475 upvotes
Fernando Po
This is one reason why I don't buy any big ticket items from BB or Futureshop online, and if it buy it in store, I open it in my car before driving off. Its like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.
.
China (and WHO) lied and people died.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1017 upvotes
hagbard wrote: This is one reason why I don't buy any big ticket items from BB or Futureshop online, and if it buy it in store, I open it in my car before driving off. Its like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.
.

Even buying in store can be a PITA. Here's my story from today with a wasted 15 minutes when I should have been out of there in 3 mins after buying two pairs of $5 headphones:

sony-ear-headphones-mdr-ex10-blue-4-99- ... st14091695

That's not to say I trust BB online either - I've got an order from them at the post office and when I get it home I'll be videotaping the unboxing so I'll have proof if they "forgot" to put the item in it.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Newbie
Sep 15, 2008
13 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks for posting OP.

When you spend money at any store, you ought to be entitled to reasonable service. The bottom line here is that somebody on the retailers end screwed up, and the customer is left looking like a clown, trying to argue his case. Being called a liar by the manager is a slap in the face, especially when you've done nothing wrong. Watching the loyal BestBuy manager defend his Master, tooth and nail for $14/hour pittance is a creepy thing. Jeez. Just give the guy a new frickin cord.

Who's at fault here? Best-Buy? The 3rd-party refurb company? I don't know, but it sure as hell isn't the consumer. He paid for something, which turned out to be faulty. I don't understand how people are attacking the OP and defending the big box store. That's insanity. If it were YOU and YOU were being called a liar repeatedly, after paying a few hundred dollars for a crap product and having to argue your case for a return, how would you react?

The consumer is stupid, because of what? He didn't call ahead to before going to the store? I've never thought to call ahead when I have to do a return. I've always thought it was easier to talk directly to a person in-store.

I guess this is important info, from Kris81, who sounds like a Best-Buy narc. Seriously, what a creepy, creepy dude. So buyers beware, when trying to return to Best-Buy, call ahead first!

Good on OP for arguing and getting a full refund.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2025 upvotes
Nowhere
Kris81 wrote: I bought an Asus system about 4 months ago refurbished from newegg, and it arrived with 2 USB ports, 1 of which didn't work. do you think I should have 1) contacted newegg with the problem first or 2) post on RFD talking about how I can't believe they would send me a defective product!!!

You have real problems if you can't see the difference between a USB port not working (a hidden, likely common defect) and what the OP received, a burnt power cord with a pubic hair wrapped around it (an usual obvious defect). The former is not worthy of discussion, the latter is.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1017 upvotes
melc wrote: He paid for something, which turned out to be faulty. I don't understand how people are attacking the OP and defending the big box store. That's insanity.
It's odd. You'd think that, like The Consumerist, this would be a consumer activist site but there's a large number of people here dedicated to defending the corporations (*cough* Mark77 *cough*).

Perhaps they're just brainwashed by the glory of capitalism or perhaps they're paid shills but either way it is insanity as you say.
So buyers beware, when trying to return to Best-Buy, call ahead first!
Or just make the point of buying as little as possible, or ideally nothing, from Best Buy/Future Shop.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18711 posts
1936 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
These guys shipped my Canon lens in a padded envelope. The lens box is just a box with no reinforcement at all. I won't be buying lens from these guys again.
Banned
User avatar
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
205 upvotes
tednolan wrote: Lenovo's name is on the PC, and bestbuy sold it. Therfore the blame lies with them. Whether or not a third party is involved or not is irrelevant to the consumer. To suggest otherwise is assinine.

So if you buy a used Nissan automobile from a random dealership, and the aftermarket Sony car system inside is not working properly, you blame Nissan?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2025 upvotes
Nowhere
Kris81 wrote: So if you buy a used Nissan automobile from a random dealership, and the aftermarket Sony car system inside is not working properly, you blame Nissan?

You really are deluded. How is this in anyway similar? You really do need a vacation.

Top