Expired Hot Deals

[Wow Mobile] *Hot* Google Pixel 2 XL for $150 on Tab Large with Koodo (after Trade In) $720 Total Cost

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2018 1:30 pm
[OP]
Member
Sep 5, 2008
488 posts
96 upvotes
Ontario

*Hot* Google Pixel 2 XL for $150 on Tab Large with Koodo (after Trade In) $720 Total Cost

Deal Link:
Price:
$150
Retailer:
Wow Mobile
Deal is back (very close). Creating this new thread rather than revive the previous threat (link) which is hundreds of pages and thousands of posts and frankly different as that was gift card, no trade in, different store etc.

For some reason Wow Mobile has the Pixel 2 XL cheaper than the Pixel 2 on the Large Tab ($200 vs. $300). So the deal (check old thread for more details on canceling etc.):

1. Buy Pixel 2 XL 64GB on Large Tab, on sale for $200 but trade in any old phone (I did 2 lines 1 Razr V3 and a 15 year old Nokia for the other) makes it $150 + $15 Sim + HST about $187 on signing.

2. Log into online portal and changed phone number to Alberta one to reduce 13% HST to Alberta's 5% tax for when you cancel and pay the $504 large tab plus 5% tax instead of 13%.

3. Next day after changing to Alberta number I called in and CANCELLED the line. Make sure to say cancel line, not just pay off Tab.

4. Total cost was $200 - $50 trade in + $15 Sim + HST = $187. PLUS $504 x 5% Alberta Tax = $529. PLUS $2.47/day prorated charge for plan, mine was 3 days as I waited 3 days total. So total cost $720 out the door for a Pixel 2 XL 64GB.

I'm a 10 year iPhone user, literally had every single iPhone from 2007 to now. Also have tried an Android phone every year possible and every year up to now iPhone has been better. Google and Android have finally caught up. Ignore the screen issues on the XL, they're no big deal and I'm coming from 10 iPhones in a row the last of which is the iPhone X with it's beautiful screen. Don't notice any issues.
Last edited by RASHID007 on Feb 9th, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
162 replies
Jr. Member
Oct 3, 2013
140 posts
55 upvotes
Surrey
Thanks for the very helpful and clear directions. Making me considering a Pixel 2 XL.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2007
1140 posts
447 upvotes
Montreal
So if I understand correctly how this works, the saving comes from: 1) the initial price "discrepancy" on Wow for the Pixel 2 XL, 2) the trade-in and 3) the tax trick ?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 21, 2006
3484 posts
384 upvotes
Toronto
RASHID007 wrote: Deal is back (very close). Creating this new thread rather than revive the previous threat (link) which is hundreds of pages and thousands of posts and frankly different as that was gift card, no trade in, different store etc.

For some reason Wow Mobile has the Pixel 2 XL cheaper than the Pixel 2 on the Large Tab ($200 vs. $300). So the deal (check old thread for more details on canceling etc.):

1. Buy Pixel 2 XL 64GB on Large Tab, on sale for $200 but trade in any old phone (I did 2 lines 1 Razr V3 and a 15 year old Nokia for the other) makes it $150 + $15 Sim + HST about $187 on signing.

2. Log into online portal and changed phone number to Alberta one to reduce 13% HST to Alberta's 5% tax for when you cancel and pay the $504 large tab plus 5% tax instead of 13%.

3. Next day after changing to Alberta number I called in and CANCELLED the line. Make sure to say cancel line, not just pay off Tab.

4. Total cost was $200 - $50 trade in + $15 Sim + HST = $187. PLUS $504 x 5% Alberta Tax = $529. PLUS $2.47/day prorated charge for plan, mine was 3 days as I waited 3 days total. So total cost $720 out the door for a Pixel 2 XL 64GB.

I'm a 10 year iPhone user, literally had every single iPhone from 2007 to now. Also have tried an Android phone every year possible and every year up to now iPhone has been better. Google and Android have finally caught up. Ignore the screen issues on the XL, they're no big deal and I'm coming from 10 iPhones in a row the last of which is the iPhone X with it's beautiful screen. Don't notice any issues.
When did u get ur last koodo phone and applied same method? Let me know if I'm wrong, but if u cancelled with koodo recently, can't they see that when pulling your name on their system.

If bit then this is very dumb for koodo.
====================================
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2356 upvotes
dmanwin wrote: Step 2 is fraud
Source? Because CRTC told me there are no regulations against having an out of province cell number.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1465 posts
4269 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Just spoke with a WOW representative and asked about cancellation, stating I travel and I'm picky on service and will cancel if it's not sufficient, and the person told me you can only cancel after two months of service. Is this just BS and he's just saying that because he wants his commission? I don't really blame him, but I'm not about to pay $74*2 and want to ensure I can cancel the same or next day.
[OP]
Member
Sep 5, 2008
488 posts
96 upvotes
Ontario
blyndfyre wrote: Just spoke with a WOW representative and asked about cancellation, stating I travel and I'm picky on service and will cancel if it's not sufficient, and the person told me you can only cancel after two months of service. Is this just BS and he's just saying that because he wants his commission? I don't really blame him, but I'm not about to pay $74*2 and want to ensure I can cancel the same or next day.
Definitely BS and wants his commission. FYI commission is under $20 if you want to make him whole.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2007
1140 posts
447 upvotes
Montreal
It's exploiting a loophole, it's no fraud.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1465 posts
4269 upvotes
Calgary, AB
RASHID007 wrote: Definitely BS and wants his commission. FYI commission is under $20 if you want to make him whole.
Thanks for letting me know what it's worth, I would like to make it up to the employee.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 29, 2001
939 posts
186 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo
Tempting Google Pixel 2 XL nice phone will have to think about it
Member
Aug 23, 2005
490 posts
292 upvotes
Ontario
RASHID007 wrote:
2. Log into online portal and changed phone number to Alberta one to reduce 13% HST to Alberta's 5% tax for when you cancel and pay the $504 large tab plus 5% tax instead of 13%.
Can you still change to an out of province number online? In a recent RFD thread back when it was $200 + tab large, someone posted that this could no longer be done through self serve.
[OP]
Member
Sep 5, 2008
488 posts
96 upvotes
Ontario
A-Town wrote: Can you still change to an out of province number online? In a recent RFD thread back when it was $200 + tab large, someone posted that this could no longer be done through self serve.
I thought you couldn't because of that post you're referring to, but you can I did it for 2 lines this week. My account is gone I think but it was Self Serve>Mobile Services>Port a Number (or something like that). Choose Alberta from first menu, then city, then pick a number and Submit.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 18, 2008
8024 posts
1873 upvotes
Mont-Royal
dmanwin wrote: Step 2 is fraud
Fortunately koodo needs people who don't fraud so they don't patch it. :)
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Sr. Member
May 30, 2015
654 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bombdiggity wrote: Source? Because CRTC told me there are no regulations against having an out of province cell number.
never argue with a Flanders.
Sr. Member
May 30, 2015
654 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So I got this phone this morning and the display is perfect. It is by far the best Pixel 2XL display that I've ever seen. They are either using a new display or I am extremely lucky.
Sr. Member
Nov 26, 2013
750 posts
662 upvotes
Winnipeg
I would like to jump on this but am hesitant because I have an Apple Watch which I think is fantastic, but would otherwise become useless. Currently have an iPhone 7, but I know this is marginally better. Decisions, decisions... Change is hard!

Top