Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Nov 30, 2009
300 posts
21 upvotes
Ottawa
Kingmoo wrote: yeah but this is not the base model (far from it) and when I build it on their site it does include it in the Safety features. Is it possible some of them are built with minor variations for some reason? Or do the Toyota vehicle building websites list different components based on dealership/state?

$250 isn't bad but it's an annoying. Didn't realize that I had to check every single component on the sheet compared to what was listed on the website. I figured if I asked the dealer for the model and packages that I used to build it on the website then they would provide an identical list as the one I wanted.

So if it doesn't have and Engine Immobilizer should I get it done at the American dealership before the ownership is transferred or in Canada? It's likely going to be much more expensive in Canada since it's Canada and the American dealership may do it cheaper since they'll be a little more committed to ensuring the customer is satisfied with their new vehicle...

Ok, if it is beyond the base model, the vehicle should have it standard. I am surprised it is not listed in the Toyota build sheet (VIR) as it is listed on all 5 of my new highlanders...

Are you sure its the VIR you are looking at? should be 2 pages with the added options on the second page...
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4263 posts
454 upvotes
Mr. Mayhew wrote: Ok, if it is beyond the base model, the vehicle should have it standard. I am surprised it is not listed in the Toyota build sheet (VIR) as it is listed on all 5 of my new highlanders...

Are you sure its the VIR you are looking at? should be 2 pages with the added options on the second page...

It's possible I'm not looking at the VIR...

I'm looking at a sheet with all the specs listed but it's a scanned PDF that they sent me while we were making the deal. Perhaps the VIR was handed to my Amerifriend when he purchased the vehicle.
Jan 13, 2007
965 posts
93 upvotes
NewTownAutoSales wrote: No to both ... It's for RIV so that they can issue you the federal vehicle inspection form.

So I do not need the form on import? only after import to send to the RIV?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The recall letter is a RIV requirement.

It's part of the registration process.

Neither US or Canada Customs needs it.

One thing I want to point out as I get repeated emails asking for clarification: YOU CANNOT assume the RIV process is completed simply because you paid the $200 RIV feed and GST (and duty - if your car has it) to Canada Customs.

The CRA doesn't car if your vehicle ever gets registered.

You need FORM2 to complete the process. That's provided to you by RIV. It's reviewed by the Federal Inspector (many Canadian Tires offer this service by appointment) to ensure your vehicle has all the requirements and was not modified. They pass the vehicle and submit the approved Form2 back to RIV who then send you a sticker and letter stating the import process was completed.

I have posted the letter and sticker for review at my website: http://www.monsieurmaggot.com/FormPics.html.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Wow this is the 20000th post. How applicable I get to fill it in....
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2006
3009 posts
205 upvotes
Montreal
Hey guys, read the first page and some other pages.
Sorry if it was answered.

But i'm looking to buy a Ford Fusion SEL V6 AWD from the states.
I want to get it from the south of the states (say Virginia) to make sure
it never met salty roads.

My question is, where do I get it shipped to in the states ?
I live near the Vermont border so I can go to the customs and get the car with all the paper works.
So where should I ship it ? Should I just go to the US and pick it up randomly and bring it back to the borders
with all the papers.

Thanks people.
I was there at the 32$ price error at dell.ca day AND at the 150$ off price error at fs.ca
RFD price error moto: "Buy now, think later." -Ahzuz
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2004
1216 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
Monsieurmaggot wrote: Be careful taking delivery at the border.

In Michigan for example, if the dealer drives the vehicle to you at the border it is subject to the Michigan state sales tax.

To avoid this, the vehicle must be towed to the destination. Interestingly, the Michigan website says that vehicles "destined for export to Canada" are subject to their 6% sales tax. Some RFDers have managed to avoid that tax by towing to the border.

Many other US states impose this rule as well.

On the plus side, you don't need to pay for transit or insurance fees while the vehicle is in transit via a third-party carrier.

I'm hoping to amass this information for the website.

Thanks MM. So it sounds like the only way to avoid the MI sales tax is to have someone transport it (other than the purchaser) across the border, and physically take possession of it on canadian soil. Did I get this right?
Feb 26, 2003
295 posts
21 upvotes
Ahzuz wrote: Hey guys, read the first page and some other pages.
Sorry if it was answered.

But i'm looking to buy a Ford Fusion SEL V6 AWD from the states.
I want to get it from the south of the states (say Virginia) to make sure
it never met salty roads.

My question is, where do I get it shipped to in the states ?
I live near the Vermont border so I can go to the customs and get the car with all the paper works.
So where should I ship it ? Should I just go to the US and pick it up randomly and bring it back to the borders
with all the papers.

Thanks people.

Ya, just arrange for a meeting spot with the transport driver and then drive the car acrosss the border (Obviously after stopping to get the US export stamp!)

Alternatively, you could have the car dropped off at Freeport Forwarding on Champlain, NY (Lacolle Border) It is ~20-30 mins drive from the St-Armand/Philipsburg border. If you're an eastern townships guy crossing in Stanstead, then its a lot farther...

However, http://www.freeportforwarding.com/ will accept the delivery of the car for you and hold it for 3 days (if you haven't already sent the title to the border)
Support Cellular Class Action - Bell, Telus, Rogers, Fido, Sasktel, MTS, Aliant Class Actions.

Get your $8.95/month "System Access Fee" BACK!

http://www.merchantlaw.com/cellular.html
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
3151 posts
1072 upvotes
Toronto
Monsieurmaggot wrote: The recall letter is a RIV requirement.

It's part of the registration process.

Neither US or Canada Customs needs it.

One thing I want to point out as I get repeated emails asking for clarification: YOU CANNOT assume the RIV process is completed simply because you paid the $200 RIV feed and GST (and duty - if your car has it) to Canada Customs.

The CRA doesn't car if your vehicle ever gets registered.

You need FORM2 to complete the process. That's provided to you by RIV. It's reviewed by the Federal Inspector (many Canadian Tires offer this service by appointment) to ensure your vehicle has all the requirements and was not modified. They pass the vehicle and submit the approved Form2 back to RIV who then send you a sticker and letter stating the import process was completed.

I have posted the letter and sticker for review at my website: http://www.monsieurmaggot.com/FormPics.html.

The CRA just took my GST payment and didn't collect the RIV fee even though they can. I took the initiative to contact RIV and pay the $200 fee and get the registration process moving.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Jay-c wrote: Thanks MM. So it sounds like the only way to avoid the MI sales tax is to have someone transport it (other than the purchaser) across the border, and physically take possession of it on canadian soil. Did I get this right?
That's where it gets confusing.

The Michigan State Treasury specifically indicates on their website that vehicles sold to an individual with the intend of delivering and registering it in Canada is subject the state sales tax. BUT - I've received quite a few emails from RFDers claiming that their dealers told them that if the vehicle was towed or flatbed delivered outside the state, the Michigan state sales tax was not paid. My brother was also told this when he was shopping for a Lexus in Michigan.

I would tread lightly here and expect to pay the sales tax. If you have luxury to shop around, instead of finding one who's very familiar with the export process, you might find a dealer who's hungry enough to do some creative bookkeeping and simply claim the vehicle was shipped out of state.

See the Michigan state link: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/485_72279_7.pdf

or here under section 8-5.4: www.msdra.com/out_of_state_buyersales_tax.htm

Then this (section 8 - 4.2) confuses the issue:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/D ... 6065_7.pdf

Some RFDers have used this link when purchasing a car in Michigan.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
t_garp wrote: Ya, just arrange for a meeting spot with the transport driver and then drive the car acrosss the border (Obviously after stopping to get the US export stamp!)

Alternatively, you could have the car dropped off at Freeport Forwarding on Champlain, NY (Lacolle Border) It is ~20-30 mins drive from the St-Armand/Philipsburg border. If you're an eastern townships guy crossing in Stanstead, then its a lot farther...

However, http://www.freeportforwarding.com/ will accept the delivery of the car for you and hold it for 3 days (if you haven't already sent the title to the border)
I hear this company is quite popular (and cheap) for US purchases. I know people who've used them to receive their tires from www.tirerack.com (up to 70% cheaper than in Canada).

They will accept any US product and hold it for Canadians. I can't say if they would hold a vehicle for you.

https://www.kinek.com/kpointC/Landing.a ... age=border

Doesn't hurt to ask them. YMMV.
Apr 18, 2010
317 posts
72 upvotes
Hi

Thought I read somewhere that if you import 2010, no emission test required? Pls advise. Did a search but can't find the infos
Thankds
Jan 21, 2011
36 posts
3 upvotes
SARNIA, Ontario
Bold007 wrote: Hi

Thought I read somewhere that if you import 2010, no emission test required? Pls advise. Did a search but can't find the infos
Thankds

If you want to plate it ... You need the etest. Unless you live in Northern Ontario where polluting doesn't exist and the DriveClean program doesn't apply. :p

Some manufacturers include it in their fee - i.e. Porsche includes it with your recall clearance letter check w/safety, etest, recall clearance letter, carproof, daytime running lights, etc.
Email me if you have any questions: denis@newtownautosales.com
Visit our website: www.newtownautosales.com
We can deliver the US vehicle plated to your door in Ontario after we've brought the vehicle into Canada for you.
We do the work - You benefit from the savings! We're an Ontario Registered Dealer - Buy with Confidence!
Jan 21, 2011
36 posts
3 upvotes
SARNIA, Ontario
Albertan wrote: Do I need the recall clearance letter for US or Canadian Customs? Or just fax it to the RIV later on once I get it home? I will likely be crossing in Blaine, WA, if that matters.

So I do not need the form on import? only after import to send to the RIV?
No ... But if you want to be extra safe, get it ahead of time and if you're buying from a franchise store, make sure you get the recalls done by them as part of the deal if there are any outstanding recalls or get them done in Canada. Either way ... Getting recalls fixed are covered by the Manufacturer.

Also - I wouldn't recommend faxing RIV. Do everything online or through email ... Much much faster.

Denis
Email me if you have any questions: denis@newtownautosales.com
Visit our website: www.newtownautosales.com
We can deliver the US vehicle plated to your door in Ontario after we've brought the vehicle into Canada for you.
We do the work - You benefit from the savings! We're an Ontario Registered Dealer - Buy with Confidence!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Bold007 wrote: Hi

Thanks
I'm assuming you live in Ontario (since your tag shows Markham as your home) so the answer is: YES YOU DO. Unless you're buying a new 2010 and your invoice says "NEW", the MTO will require a safety certificate AND an emission test on any vehicle imported from the US.

See that answer and more at: www.monsieurmaggot.com/Paperwork.html
Mar 13, 2011
8 posts
Ontario
I have relatives live in the US and I am thinking asking them to buy a new lexus in the US then buying from them as private sale and import it to Canada (because US lexus dealer wont sell new cars to Canadians and i don't like used cars). Does this make sense? Did any body try this before that can tell me the difference in terms of importing documentation requirement and warranty coverage in canada? Thanks a lot!
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
3151 posts
1072 upvotes
Toronto
jlin2 wrote: I have relatives live in the US and I am thinking asking them to buy a new lexus in the US then buying from them as private sale and import it to Canada (because US lexus dealer wont sell new cars to Canadians and i don't like used cars). Does this make sense? Did any body try this before that can tell me the difference in terms of importing documentation requirement and warranty coverage in canada? Thanks a lot!

Your relatives will have to pay state taxes (if applicable in their state) and you will have to pay taxes in canada. Are you willing to pay double taxes? All the documentation info is available at the OP's website:

www.monsieurmaggot.com/Paperwork.html
Nov 30, 2009
300 posts
21 upvotes
Ottawa
GSD wrote: Your relatives will have to pay state taxes (if applicable in their state) and you will have to pay taxes in canada. Are you willing to pay double taxes? All the documentation info is available at the OP's website:

www.monsieurmaggot.com/Paperwork.html

I have lexus dealers that will sell to me at invoice, depending on the model and options. Send me an email and i can save you the cash and the headache. No US sales taxes either.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4263 posts
454 upvotes
My Amerifriend just received the title for the vehicle he purchased for me. I have to be there in person to get the title notarized in my name. Can I fax the title to the border before the title is in my name? Otherwise I need to go there, get the title notarized, wait there 3 days, and then go to the border?
Nov 30, 2009
300 posts
21 upvotes
Ottawa
Kingmoo wrote: My Amerifriend just received the title for the vehicle he purchased for me. I have to be there in person to get the title notarized in my name. Can I fax the title to the border before the title is in my name? Otherwise I need to go there, get the title notarized, wait there 3 days, and then go to the border?

Yes, you can fax it before it is in your name without any issue to get your 72 hour notice.