Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4799 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Monsieurmaggot wrote: If the Canadian buck hits 95 cents, I might sell my US Subaru in Canada for $40k (still save someone serious coin), buy the exact same car in the US again and pocket $5000. That's what that auto importer in Oakville does.
My sentiment exactly, even if you pocket only $5000 per vehicle, multiply by the number of vehicles imported that is serious money people.

Where else can you find this kind of quick return on your investment.

I think the only drawback is to find potential buyer for a used American vehicles, even if it just bought new for resale.

Maybe some RFD members might want to pool their discretionary income for a little investment into this venture. Just an idea to ponder about.

Better investment than cough 6/49 cough, you can actually make real money.
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Oct 20, 2004
216 posts
13 upvotes
Kitchener
Put me down for a 2006 Toyota Sienna purchased November 2006. $10000 in my pocket where it belongs.

Monsieurmaggot wrote: This thread is approaching a quarter of a million reads.

Tack on 1800+ replies.

It's great to see how many people have actually purchased cars in the US.

Maybe we should start a list.

RFDers who I know bought in the US and are part of the RFD super savers club.

Monsieurmaggot - Subaru
Tuppin - ?
yyz2hkg - Subaru
Flaming_homer - Subaru

Anyone else want to add to the list?

Then there's the list started by xriddle indicating what cars have been confirmed as NAFTA vehicles:

Acura: RDX, MDX, TL, CSX,
Mazda: Mazda 6, Tribute
Honda: Accord, Civic, Pilot, CRV, Element
Toyota: Matrix, Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Tacoma, Sienna, Sequoia
Lexus: RX350 2006-07 RX330
Mercedes: R-class, ML
Mitsubishi: Galant, Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder, Raider, Endeavor
BMW: 2002-07 X5, Z4
Saab:9-7x
Subaru: Legacy, Outback, Tribeca
Suzuki: XL7
Hyundai: 2006+2007 Sonata, 2007 Santa Fe
Nissan: Altima, Armada, Titan
Oct 20, 2004
216 posts
13 upvotes
Kitchener
Drove my Toyota Sienna with a temp MD permit in Ontario for a couple of weeks with no problems. Had cops drive by me (no front plate) and behind me and never had a problem.

fruzmatik wrote: I can confirm the MTO does not require a temp ontario trip permit. They will not even provide one till the vehicle is in Ontario they told me.

Anyways A NY State temp permit is enough to drive in Ontario. A friend of mine owns an insurance company, he imported a porsche boxster and drove it with NY temp permit for weeks in Ontario....

Cheers.
Dec 30, 2006
639 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
Nissans seem to be much cheaper in the US

350z in USA starts at 31.5 k CDN as per the Nissan Website
350z in Canada starts at 49k CDN as per the Nissan Website

17.5k price difference, or am I missing something?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4689 posts
811 upvotes
SK
tyrrell wrote: Nissans seem to be much cheaper in the US

350z in USA starts at 31.5 k CDN as per the Nissan Website
350z in Canada starts at 49k CDN as per the Nissan Website

17.5k price difference, or am I missing something?
No warranty!
shopper-X
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6653 posts
334 upvotes
shopper-X wrote: No warranty!
$17.5K can fix a whole lot of problems not covered by warranty, and if its really bad, you could always tow/ship it back to the US for warranty work.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5865 posts
1921 upvotes
Ottawa
bionicbadger wrote: $17.5K can fix a whole lot of problems not covered by warranty, and if its really bad, you could always tow/ship it back to the US for warranty work.
I'm usually pretty vocal about buying without a warranty but if you are saving $10k+, I admit that it's pretty much a non-issue.

However as far as returning it to the US for warranty work, I believe the Nissan warranty terms are written in a way that the warranty could become void if it's registered outside the US so I wouldn't count on that.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1233 posts
75 upvotes
For those interested, I've confirmed that Hyundai WILL honour warranty service in Canada.

I have it in an email from their head office (which I'll guard with my life should I end up with a Veracruz.
:idea:
"Our doubts are traitors, And make us lose the good we oft might win By fearing to attempt."
William Shakespeare Measure for Measure

"You have to go in with a winning attitude. It doesn't mean you'll win, but you'll lose a lot less" - Brad Lamb ("Toronto's Condo King")
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2003
1203 posts
341 upvotes
so, so far everybody's only bought Subarus?
Im looking at sport sedans - which would put me into Infinit/Lexus/Acrua

..acuras dont have warranties, are infiniti's and Lexus's ok?
Mar 15, 2007
20 posts
Hi, Guys :
Can I drive my import across the Buffalo border on Monday ? it's US holiday .

thanks !
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3161 posts
1917 upvotes
GTA
JustinZ wrote: so, so far everybody's only bought Subarus?
Im looking at sport sedans - which would put me into Infinit/Lexus/Acrua

..acuras dont have warranties, are infiniti's and Lexus's ok?
I'm also looking into a 2008 Lexus RX350, so far my research shows that like Toyota, warranty is not an issue, it's getting a dealer to sell it to you. When I went to pick up my Subaru from Northtown, I talked to my dealer about this as Northtown actually encompasses 15-20 different brands including Lexus. He said that ALL Toyota/Lexus dealers along the Canadian border has signed into their franchise agreement NOT to sell to Canadians. Out of state is not a problem, but Canadians are.

I "promise" to execute a US Lexus RX350 purchase this year, it will have to happen in Florida, it will have to wait until the 2008 makes it to the RIV list, I will have to find a dealer in Florida that can deal with some paperwork (such as state tax avoidance), but I am fairly confident that I can work through all of these issues.

I'm pretty sure you meant "luxury" sports sedans, right ? Subarus have some pretty mean street sport cars..

Silver Lining: Purchasing a car in the US means you can pay PST/GST/Duty using your credit card - note for point collectors...
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3161 posts
1917 upvotes
GTA
sonicDX wrote: Hi, Guys :
Can I drive my import across the Buffalo border on Monday ? it's US holiday .

thanks !
No, you need the export office to stamp your "title" or else Canada Custom will not let you import it, that's the letter of the law. Practically speaking, Customs did not check either mine or wampoa's subaru when we crossed, they even made us go outside to look up the compliance month/year on the door ourselves, so you may get away with it. I don't think you really want to take that chance, nor leave unfinished paperwork with US Customs...
Apr 7, 2007
693 posts
198 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I've pretty muched decided that I'm going to purchase a 2006 BMW M3 (CompetitionPackage option) and have a few questions:

1) Does BMW cover the warranty in Canada?
2) If it's a private sale, what do I tell the buyer? I was thinking I'd send the buyer a deposit while waiting to get the paperwork in order.

Has anyone successfully imported a BMW from the US into Canada?

Anyway, with the dollar so strong, and now the next generation BMW M3 announced, the existing M3's are looking very attractive..

Best Regards,
Cheap Mother

ps> I apologize if some of these have been answered. I've read this thread and haven't seen anyone actually talk about the successful importation of a BMW.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2859 posts
751 upvotes
cheapmother wrote: I've pretty muched decided that I'm going to purchase a 2006 BMW M3 (CompetitionPackage option) and have a few questions:

1) Does BMW cover the warranty in Canada?
2) If it's a private sale, what do I tell the buyer? I was thinking I'd send the buyer a deposit while waiting to get the paperwork in order.

Has anyone successfully imported a BMW from the US into Canada?

Anyway, with the dollar so strong, and now the next generation BMW M3 announced, the existing M3's are looking very attractive..

Best Regards,
Cheap Mother

ps> I apologize if some of these have been answered. I've read this thread and haven't seen anyone actually talk about the successful importation of a BMW.

BMW: The New Vehicle Limited Warranty is transferable from the United States to Canada. The Maintenance Plan which is offered in the US and includes engine oil services, as well as inspections, is not honored in Canada. BMW USA won't allow sellers to sell brand new BMWs to some one who will register it with a CDN address. You can however buy a "used" BMW with no restrictions.

Also check out this previous thread on importing a BMW into Canada, the whole process, and through a private seller.

LINKY
Oct 20, 2004
216 posts
13 upvotes
Kitchener
slothy@cutey wrote: For those interested, I've confirmed that Hyundai WILL honour warranty service in Canada.

I have it in an email from their head office (which I'll guard with my life should I end up with a Veracruz.

The U.S. warranty on Hyundai is much better than the Canadian warranty. Did they give you any indication of what warranty you get in Canada? Do you get the U.S. terms or once you import it into Canada do you get the Canadian warranty terms?

Thanks

Ps. can you PM me with the email address of Hyundai Canada where you got your response about the warranty. I would like to have this in writing as well for my records.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5865 posts
1921 upvotes
Ottawa
yyz2hkg wrote:

BMW: The New Vehicle Limited Warranty is transferable from the United States to Canada. The Maintenance Plan which is offered in the US and includes engine oil services, as well as inspections, is not honored in Canada. BMW USA won't allow sellers to sell brand new BMWs to some one who will register it with a CDN address. You can however buy a "used" BMW with no restrictions.

Also check out this previous thread on importing a BMW into Canada, the whole process, and through a private seller.

LINKY
I believe I also saw somewhere that BMW extended warranties were not transferable to Canada so that's something to keep in mind if you are buying used (you probably want to confirm that as well).
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4799 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
For those people who bought the Subie with GPS navigation, do you know how to change the voice from a guy to a lady.

I prefer woman voice, anyway I find the GPS navigation really convenient. It diagnoses your car, tire pressure and tell you the fuel economy, etc.

I wonder if you can play DVD and DIVX movies in this thing (since the map comes in DVD format).

Note: If you use the map destination point feature, don't depend your life on it. If you follows the instruction, it will takes you forever to arrive.
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
1569 posts
191 upvotes
yyz2hkg wrote:

LINKY
Is it a stated policy that US BMW won't sell cars which would be registered outside US? A local BMW dealership here in Boston is so desperate to sell me an X5 that they even agree to let me fax them back the receipt of oil change and other inspection not covered in canada and reimburse me. But the problem is MA is the only state that would not issue temporary plate and I have to tow the car back.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1807 posts
698 upvotes
Calgary
bigbug wrote: Is it a stated policy that US BMW won't sell cars which would be registered outside US? A local BMW dealership here in Boston is so desperate to sell me an X5 that they even agree to let me fax them back the receipt of oil change and other inspection not covered in canada and reimburse me. But the problem is MA is the only state that would not issue temporary plate and I have to tow the car back.
His info is correct but if the dealership is willing to break the rule who cares.
Shipping the car back to Canada is a great hassle free option as well.
Aug 8, 2004
256 posts
8 upvotes
read back around page 4 or 5. I have brought back 2 x5s 4.8is with no hassle whatsoever... fwiw...