Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
vipuls wrote: Thanks GSD,

I read your other posts related to your import. Thanks for all the responses.

Could you clear following points.

1) At border pay only GST (even though Ontario is now HST province)? Credit card only method to pay Canadian border for GST and Duty?
2) PST to be paid at MTO (how do they accept payment)?
3) M-F only days can I go to US export office at Buffalo? Don't they do processing on weekends? I was trying to do this without using up my vacation days at work.
4) As per link below Peace bridge US border office is also listed on pull down menu. I could be wrong. Please correct me if required.
5) if you or anyone can guide me, at final stage at MTO Can I add my wife on ontario registration even though she will not be on invoice and will not travel with me to US and Canadian border offices.

GSD, you bought car from Ohio, how did you verify the quality of car? or did you just rely on dealers reputation?

Flights from Buffalo to Cleveland goes around $500.

Vipul
Most of your questions are in the FAQ on the first page.

The Canadian Border folks take ANY kind of payment (cash, cheques, credit cards, debit, etc..). I remember asking the border person if they were worried about people writing bad cheques. He laughed and said, "who in their right mind would write us a bad cheque? The penalties wouldn't be worth it".

One last question, why would you fly from Buffalo to Cleveland? It's a three hour drive. It's cheaper to take the bus.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
petaling108 wrote: GSD and Monsiermaggot: similarly for A Volvo XC70 T6(saving of $10000), Can I just get a letter of no recall and bypass Volvo dealer inspection ($2000 guesstimate) ? Thanks
averythedog wrote: Hi, I am looking to import 2011 Sienna. How do I find out what modifications it would need to be driven in Canada. Has anybody had experience importing this Van. Thank you
These answers are available at www.riv.ca.

Looks like you might be need to bend over for Volvo. Does Ford still own Volvo? That would explain the pain....

Volvo: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/SafeVehi ... /VOLVO.htm

Also looks like Toyota is putting up roadblocks to stop the US import process. I remember someone posting about the dealer in Kanata, ON who's importing them by the truckload so I can't imagine much is required.

Sienna: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/SafeVehi ... ion5_4.htm

Since the bumper restrictions were amalgamated a few years ago, the big one would be daytime running lights, the child restraints and the speedometre (it should show km/h) or a sticker will be provided by RIV. I think there are special restrictions for vehicles with exclusive digital displays since they can be modified but you know the dealership will want to hose you. These are the same people who charge you $50 bucks to read your computer diagnotics - which you can buy a reader yourself at Canadian Tire for slightly more.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Oct 20, 2010
304 posts
34 upvotes
I am trying not to use more than one day of my vacation at work for this transaction. Flying from Toronto may make it best as I can pick up car on week day at 9am , by 2pm I can be at US border and clear US and Canadian customs by 4pm. Taking bus, or flight from buffalo will eat away time and I don't like 5+5 hour return driving trip in single day.
For now I am also assuming Canadian border does not have any time limit and even after 4pm they will take it.

Also I assume US export office is not exactly in the Queenston border queues for the Canada bound passenger but some building outside this area and once I clear US Customs I can take Queenston or Rainbow bridge based on traffic conditions.

About Canadian border accepting credit cards, it brings me back 1.5% in TD First class points and I can cash it.
Monsieurmaggot wrote: Most of your questions are in the FAQ on the first page.

The Canadian Border folks take ANY kind of payment (cash, cheques, credit cards, debit, etc..). I remember asking the border person if they were worried about people writing bad cheques. He laughed and said, "who in their right mind would write us a bad cheque? The penalties wouldn't be worth it".

One last question, why would you fly from Buffalo to Cleveland? It's a three hour drive. It's cheaper to take the bus.
Nov 24, 2007
480 posts
42 upvotes
My parents business is in the market for a new 2011 Chevy Suburban or Yukon XL. The price difference between Canada and the US is around $25-30k. Obviously, we would like to buy one down there. A few questions:

- I've heard in the past that you can't import a vehicle from the states until it is at least 6 months old. Can someone confirm is this is true, and if so, is there any way to import a brand new vehicle.
- Apparently GM doesn't honor the warranty, and won't register your US imports warranty until it is over 6 months old. Does this mean the warranty period does not start for 6 months, or you just loose 6 months of warranty.
- Sounds like some US dealers won't sell to Canadians. Can anyone recommend a Chevy/GMC dealer in the eastern states that sells to Canadians.

Any other thoughts or experiences on importing a new Chevy from the states, please share.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8450 posts
5191 upvotes
Kootenays
RJones89 wrote: My parents business is in the market for a new 2011 Chevy Suburban or Yukon XL. The price difference between Canada and the US is around $25-30k. Obviously, we would like to buy one down there. A few questions:

- I've heard in the past that you can't import a vehicle from the states until it is at least 6 months old. Can someone confirm is this is true, and if so, is there any way to import a brand new vehicle.
- Apparently GM doesn't honor the warranty, and won't register your US imports warranty until it is over 6 months old. Does this mean the warranty period does not start for 6 months, or you just loose 6 months of warranty.
- Sounds like some US dealers won't sell to Canadians. Can anyone recommend a Chevy/GMC dealer in the eastern states that sells to Canadians.

Any other thoughts or experiences on importing a new Chevy from the states, please share.

Since you're saving $25-30,000, I'll do all of your homework for say...$10,000. PM me your bank details and I'll get right on this. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2002
1320 posts
62 upvotes
Ottawa
RJones89 wrote: My parents business is in the market for a new 2011 Chevy Suburban or Yukon XL. The price difference between Canada and the US is around $25-30k.

Where are you getting those numbers from? The msrp on a half ton suburban in the states (base model) is $41k, up here it's $52k. In addition, there would also be dealer cash-back incentives you are likely not getting in the states, and after duty you're probably looking at closer to $5k savings.How do you manage another $14 - 19k difference on top of that? Unless you're comparing the base model half ton in the states with the 3/4 ton fully loaded model in Canada? Interested to know you you got your numbers.
Feb 16, 2004
177 posts
10 upvotes
RJones89 wrote: My parents business is in the market for a new 2011 Chevy Suburban or Yukon XL. The price difference between Canada and the US is around $25-30k. Obviously, we would like to buy one down there. A few questions:

You cant make a warranty claim for 6months after your first GM visit.. so when you get it, bring it in for an oil change or something and get registered and start the clock ticking. This is to stop you from bringing in a lemon and dumping the problems on the cdn dealer.

West Herr will sell to Canadians and know the process *but* it cant be new .. demo/used yes, no problem.
Nov 18, 2007
122 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor
Fox2k wrote: Where are you getting those numbers from? The msrp on a half ton suburban in the states (base model) is $41k, up here it's $52k. In addition, there would also be dealer cash-back incentives you are likely not getting in the states, and after duty you're probably looking at closer to $5k savings.How do you manage another $14 - 19k difference on top of that? Unless you're comparing the base model half ton in the states with the 3/4 ton fully loaded model in Canada? Interested to know you you got your numbers.

No duty, it is a North American vehicle. I am confident he could still save 10K or more, easily.
Nov 18, 2007
122 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor
Has anyone purchased in Arizona? I assume it is no tax and easy to get a temp tag? Thanks.
Nov 24, 2007
480 posts
42 upvotes
Fox2k wrote: Where are you getting those numbers from? The msrp on a half ton suburban in the states (base model) is $41k, up here it's $52k. In addition, there would also be dealer cash-back incentives you are likely not getting in the states, and after duty you're probably looking at closer to $5k savings.How do you manage another $14 - 19k difference on top of that? Unless you're comparing the base model half ton in the states with the 3/4 ton fully loaded model in Canada? Interested to know you you got your numbers.

A 2011 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LTZ with Nav package, brake controller and trailer package is $78,250 MSRP. The same vehicle in the states is $59,900 MSRP. GM Canada gives you $3500 cash back if you pay cash. GM Usa gives you $2000 back if you pay cash. Its much easier to pay cash if you're paying over $20,000 less, so its possible that we wouldn't be eligible for the cashback on the Canadian vehicle. With the $2000 cashback on the US vehicle (I'm fairly certain we're eligible for this) we're down to $57,900 MSRP (Essentially $55000 CDN once we take into account the dollar). On the Canadian vehicle, the best we could do with all discounts is probably $73,250. In this case, the US price is $18250 cheaper. There are no duties on GM vehicles imported from the states.

A 2011 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LT, with Nav, 2nd row bucket seats, basically fully loaded is $75,230 MSRP. The same vehicle in the states is $54,220. After discounts, the GM Canada price is probably $70,730 assuming we pay cash, compared to $52,220 in the US (converted to CAD brings it down to ~$49609). Here the savings is a little over $21k.

Obviously, each of these comparisons doesn't include any dealer discounts below MSRP, after factory discounts. However, considering the greater number of dealers in the eastern states than eastern Ontario, discounts are probably better there. However, you we're right. The, the 25-30k figure was exaggerating a bit, still 20k is a nice savings.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2002
1320 posts
62 upvotes
Ottawa
RJones89 wrote: A 2011 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LTZ with Nav package, brake controller and trailer package is $78,250 MSRP. The same vehicle in the states is $59,900 MSRP. GM Canada gives you $3500 cash back if you pay cash. GM Usa gives you $2000 back if you pay cash. Its much easier to pay cash if you're paying over $20,000 less, so its possible that we wouldn't be eligible for the cashback on the Canadian vehicle. With the $2000 cashback on the US vehicle (I'm fairly certain we're eligible for this) we're down to $57,900 MSRP (Essentially $55000 CDN once we take into account the dollar). On the Canadian vehicle, the best we could do with all discounts is probably $73,250. In this case, the US price is $18250 cheaper. There are no duties on GM vehicles imported from the states.

A 2011 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LT, with Nav, 2nd row bucket seats, basically fully loaded is $75,230 MSRP. The same vehicle in the states is $54,220. After discounts, the GM Canada price is probably $70,730 assuming we pay cash, compared to $52,220 in the US (converted to CAD brings it down to ~$49609). Here the savings is a little over $21k.

Obviously, each of these comparisons doesn't include any dealer discounts below MSRP, after factory discounts. However, considering the greater number of dealers in the eastern states than eastern Ontario, discounts are probably better there. However, you we're right. The, the 25-30k figure was exaggerating a bit, still 20k is a nice savings.
That's insane, nice find. Sounds like the higher up you go with the trim and packages, the more you save. Good luck with the import :D
Sep 1, 2003
339 posts
3 upvotes
Quebec
BillyBob- wrote: This whole MA state tax got me nervous. Could someone confirm that there is NO state tax to pay when importing a new car from Vermont?

Thanks.

Could someone chime in on this? Thank you.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1834 posts
443 upvotes
Calgary
Has anyone imported any Mitsubishi vehicles?? Hard to find info online and I'm not getting any responses here... Just have a few questions if any Mitsubishi importers can pm me. Thanks!
Nov 24, 2007
480 posts
42 upvotes
Nuprapture wrote: Has anyone imported any Mitsubishi vehicles?? Hard to find info online and I'm not getting any responses here... Just have a few questions if any Mitsubishi importers can pm me. Thanks!
Apparently Mitsubishi vehicles imported from the states will have no warranty.
Apr 16, 2011
20 posts
2 upvotes
St. John's
Monsieurmaggot wrote: These answers are available at www.riv.ca.

Looks like you might be need to bend over for Volvo. Does Ford still own Volvo? That would explain the pain....

Volvo: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/SafeVehi ... /VOLVO.htm

Also looks like Toyota is putting up roadblocks to stop the US import process. I remember someone posting about the dealer in Kanata, ON who's importing them by the truckload so I can't imagine much is required.

Sienna: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/SafeVehi ... ion5_4.htm

Since the bumper restrictions were amalgamated a few years ago, the big one would be daytime running lights, the child restraints and the speedometre (it should show km/h) or a sticker will be provided by RIV. I think there are special restrictions for vehicles with exclusive digital displays since they can be modified but you know the dealership will want to hose you. These are the same people who charge you $50 bucks to read your computer diagnotics - which you can buy a reader yourself at Canadian Tire for slightly more.
So i guess the daytime running lights can be turned off in the 11 Sienna, in order to meet requirements this has to be fixed. anyone have any experience with this problem. Thanks AV
Sep 3, 2007
635 posts
63 upvotes
Aurora
vipuls wrote: Also I assume US export office is not exactly in the Queenston border queues for the Canada bound passenger but some building outside this area and once I clear US Customs I can take Queenston or Rainbow bridge based on traffic conditions.

About Canadian border accepting credit cards, it brings me back 1.5% in TD First class points and I can cash it.

Canada Customs will accept credit card for paying taxes.
US Customs cars importing office is pretty much on the Lewiston bridge. Once you clear, you its a you have cross 10+ lanes of traffic and you are on the bridge. I suppose you could back track to Rainbow bridge though.
May 25, 2009
322 posts
123 upvotes
zircon wrote: Has anyone purchased in Arizona? I assume it is no tax and easy to get a temp tag? Thanks.

for Arizona you pay no taxes as long as you ship it out of state...
May 12, 2004
767 posts
71 upvotes
averythedog wrote: So i guess the daytime running lights can be turned off in the 11 Sienna, in order to meet requirements this has to be fixed. anyone have any experience with this problem. Thanks AV

DRL Can be enabled on a Sienna by adding the fuse that is missing from the panel.

This was true for the 2006-2010 models, I gather it didn't change for 2011 but a simple call to a dealer's parts dept could probably answer that question.

Just call the US and say my DRL's are off what fuse do I need to replace and they will probably tell you. ;)
Nov 28, 2007
173 posts
8 upvotes
Kelowna
averythedog wrote: So i guess the daytime running lights can be turned off in the 11 Sienna, in order to meet requirements this has to be fixed. anyone have any experience with this problem. Thanks AV

This should not be a problem, I had the switch disabled on my 2011 Highlander. Done by dealer at cost of $100.00
Nov 26, 2009
81 posts
13 upvotes
Something else to keep in mind... buying for personal use and buying for commercial use is 2 totally different things.

I have 0 experience in importing a US car to Canada however I've seen some people get the whole song and dance from the CBSA employees when they tried to import a computer related product from the US when their receipt said "Buyer: ABC Company" on it.

So I'd double check that the business is eligible to import the car and get all that paperwork out of the way before you get too far into this.

RJones89 wrote: A 2011 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LTZ with Nav package, brake controller and trailer package is $78,250 MSRP. The same vehicle in the states is $59,900 MSRP. GM Canada gives you $3500 cash back if you pay cash. GM Usa gives you $2000 back if you pay cash. Its much easier to pay cash if you're paying over $20,000 less, so its possible that we wouldn't be eligible for the cashback on the Canadian vehicle. With the $2000 cashback on the US vehicle (I'm fairly certain we're eligible for this) we're down to $57,900 MSRP (Essentially $55000 CDN once we take into account the dollar). On the Canadian vehicle, the best we could do with all discounts is probably $73,250. In this case, the US price is $18250 cheaper. There are no duties on GM vehicles imported from the states.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)