Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Dec 15, 2007
51 posts
1 upvote
KW
phlegm2 wrote: I don't have experience with GM, but much of what you describe sounds fishy in general. Do you know why the vehicle would have to be 6 months old/12,000 km before warranty would be honoured? While that could be GM's policy, I've never hear of anything like that before. That said, you yourself say you meet this odd criteria, so I'd press matters with GM Canada head office. Have them contact the dealership on your behalf.

Re Canadian dealers, they shouldn't be saying anything about your US vehicle. What if you originally lived in the US, but were transferred to Canada, bringing your vehicle? Would the dealer be angry about that? IMO, it's none of the dealer's business where you bought the car - if it qualifies for warranty work, then it qualifies...period.

As for the odometer/speedo, remember that the RIV determines what modifications are necessary for import - not the manufacturer. So, anything beyond that is strictly an impossed barrier by the manufacturer to curb imports. You'll definitely want to confirm this one with head office again - hope they aren't enforcing that one.

Thanks Phlegm for the reply. I'll bring in my vehicle to the local dealer tomorrow.
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
PHELGM2, thank you for the update on the import process on the US side. It's been 4 years since I imported my car. And we are planning to import our van again from the same dealership in the next few months.
Sep 7, 2009
241 posts
34 upvotes
diigii wrote: PHELGM2, thank you for the update on the import process on the US side. It's been 4 years since I imported my car. And we are planning to import our van again from the same dealership in the next few months.

Glad to be of help.

As per my post, there were some positive changes since my first import 2 years ago. In particular, I could email the US border and get an email confirmation pretty quickly instead of futzing around with faxes and phone calls. Also RIV was super quick this time around. Finally, for bonus points, there was a brand new Canadian inspection facility (at Queenston/Lewiston) with lots of staff and no waiting.

Hope your import goes well.
Nov 30, 2009
300 posts
21 upvotes
Ottawa
jfernandez1977 wrote: Hi, I purchased a Buick Enclave 2011 vehicle in US and the water coolant is leaking probably due to water pump leak. I asked the GM Canada and they said the warranty is honored in Canada as long as the vehicle is older than 6 months and has at least 12,000 km. on it. My vehicle meets the criteria. But when I called my local GM dealer, they first told me US vehicle is not covered under warranty. When I told her GM Canada told me the warranty is honored, she told me all I need to do is register with GM Canada and then bring the vehicle here and it's covered.

Has anybody successfully got repairs under warranty for US vehicle in Canada in the past? I always fear those Canadian dealers will give me a hard time or do some trick on my vehicle because I didn't buy it from them. Does anybody have any experience on that?

Another story I got from one GM Canada customer service is GM dealer need to change the odometer/speedometer to kilometer at my own cost before they repair my vehicle under warranty. The local dealer did not mention that. Is that true?

Thanks for any response.

JF
GM will have warranty after 6 months AND 12k total on the ODO. No gauge cluster changes needed. All you need to do is call GM Canada and register the car in your name, the dealer can do this but apparently they dont want to help you out :s

Don't stress, your dealer is just giving you more reasons to never deal with them again.
Sep 20, 2011
1 posts
BANFF
Imported a few outbacks 3 yeas ago, but it seems like the prices are much higher now. Any reason for this?

Considering a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma 4 door (used). Any issues with importing this model? If you have a contact near BC/AB it would be much appreciated.
Apr 12, 2011
14 posts
1 upvote
Alberta
coach74 wrote: Imported a few outbacks 3 yeas ago, but it seems like the prices are much higher now. Any reason for this?

Considering a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma 4 door (used). Any issues with importing this model? If you have a contact near BC/AB it would be much appreciated.

SOA put some pressure on US dealers who are selling to Canadians so it is harder to find one.
I did not get a pricing yet but the closest one to Alberta I was able to find is: Nate Wade Subaru Salt Lake City; they do sell to Canadians, I talked to: Chuck Sparks
http://www.natewade.com/dealership/about.htm
and they have a good reputation on Google Review (that counts).
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
Yeah, the email option is a welcome change for the US Customs office. When I drove back with my car back in 2007, I was getting very restless as I got closer to the border, thinking what if my fax was not received since I could not get someone to pick up my call to confirm that they received my fax three days earlier. Although I did my homework and made sure I had every document I could possibly need, I was still scared s**tless if that fax did not make it.

About the safety inspection being required by MTO staff, it does depend on the branch staff's knowledge. In my case, at first the lady said I needed an inspection. But when I showed her my printed pages from the ministry's website that a safety certificate is not needed for current-model year cars, she consulted a more senior staff and came back and said I did not need the safety. A lot of inconsistencies still exists in the application of the safety certificate.
phlegm2 wrote: Glad to be of help.

As per my post, there were some positive changes since my first import 2 years ago. In particular, I could email the US border and get an email confirmation pretty quickly instead of futzing around with faxes and phone calls. Also RIV was super quick this time around. Finally, for bonus points, there was a brand new Canadian inspection facility (at Queenston/Lewiston) with lots of staff and no waiting.

Hope your import goes well.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
coach74 wrote: Imported a few outbacks 3 yeas ago, but it seems like the prices are much higher now. Any reason for this?

These guys are just 4 or so hours from you and will sell used Toyotas. http://www.kalispelltoyota.com/used-inv ... rice=clear
Call them up and they'll keep an eye out for you for the vehicle you're after.
Sep 7, 2009
241 posts
34 upvotes
diigii wrote: Yeah, the email option is a welcome change for the US Customs office. When I drove back with my car back in 2007, I was getting very restless as I got closer to the border, thinking what if my fax was not received since I could not get someone to pick up my call to confirm that they received my fax three days earlier. Although I did my homework and made sure I had every document I could possibly need, I was still scared s**tless if that fax did not make it.

About the safety inspection being required by MTO staff, it does depend on the branch staff's knowledge. In my case, at first the lady said I needed an inspection. But when I showed her my printed pages from the ministry's website that a safety certificate is not needed for current-model year cars, she consulted a more senior staff and came back and said I did not need the safety. A lot of inconsistencies still exists in the application of the safety certificate.

I hear you about the faxes in the past - potentially you'd have to park the car for 72 hours if they didn't get it in advance. They actually ask that you bring their email confirmation now, which is great.

It really burns me re the certification/safety bit. On my first import I also had them escalate to a senior person, who confirmed the need for it. Thanks for letting me know about your experience - they've got to sort that out for sure.
Dec 16, 2006
444 posts
105 upvotes
HP_John wrote: I don't know about QC but in Ont there's a $3500 cash purchase credit, applied to the price before taxes. Also, I believe currently there is an additional $3000 factory reduction on the car (perhaps to offset the price gap with the US?). That is a manufacturer incentive, you as a customer should be able to negotiate further off the MSRP. Also, you should build the car on the US site with similar options to the Cdn one, & also factor in 6.1% duty, along with the fact that the govt still charges tax on the duty. Warranty is valid in Canada.

A quick look at Infiniti.ca
msrp $48,540
options $4,050 (fully loaded)
factory reduction - $3,000
freight & pde $1,950
cash purchase credit - $3,500
total $48,040 + tax

infinitiusa.com
msrp $45,245 (fully loaded)
+ 6.1% duty ($2760)
total $48,005

Were there really a factory reduction of $3,000 AND cash purchase credit of $3,500 on G37's? I'm not doubting anyone. I just want to be more informed and watch out for potential deals like this.

I did a quick comparison on G37x AWD between US and CAD, and only see marginal benefit to buy from south of the boarder. (There's a cash purchase credit of $3,500 in Ontario.)

CAD
Base MSRP - $43,450
Premium Package - $3350
Interior Accents Package - $300
Cash Purchase Credit - -$3500
Fees, PDE, Freight etc. - $1950+$129
TOTAL (before taxes) - $45,679

US
Base MSRP - $37,800
Premium Package - $2,150
Interior Accents Package - $600
Fees, PDE, Freight etc. - $895
Duty - $2,528
TOTAL (before taxes) - $43,973

DIFF (CAD - US) - $ 1705

Considering the expenses and costs involved to import the car from US, the saving would probably be a bit more than $1K, which isn't THAT much. Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance!!
Nov 30, 2009
300 posts
21 upvotes
Ottawa
ActiveX wrote: Were there really a factory reduction of $3,000 AND cash purchase credit of $3,500 on G37's? I'm not doubting anyone. I just want to be more informed and watch out for potential deals like this.

I did a quick comparison on G37x AWD between US and CAD, and only see marginal benefit to buy from south of the boarder. (There's a cash purchase credit of $3,500 in Ontario.)

CAD
Base MSRP - $43,450
Premium Package - $3350

US
Base MSRP - $37,800
Premium Package - $2,150
Duty - $2,528

DIFF (CAD - US) - $ 1705

Considering the expenses and costs involved to import the car from US, the saving would probably be a bit more than $1K, which isn't THAT much. Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance!!

interior accent pkg cannot be taken without taking Sport or Sport appearance pkg, but i just quoted one of the for a repeat client.

$36818 USD
Shipping $500
Duty: $2246 (based on parity)
titling: 200
storage, RIV, paperwork, Gas, detail, etc: $590
inspections: 120
ac battery tire lecy: 130
lp fee: 1500

total CAD cost plus tax: $42100

could even be better as Invoice pricing is not impossible. Seems like a fair enough savings to me?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8585 posts
5370 upvotes
ActiveX wrote: Were there really a factory reduction of $3,000 AND cash purchase credit of $3,500 on G37's? I'm not doubting anyone. I just want to be more informed and watch out for potential deals like this.

CAD
Base MSRP - $43,450
Premium Package - $3350

US
Base MSRP - $37,800
Premium Package - $2,150
Duty - $2,528

DIFF (CAD - US) - $ 1705

I was mistaken, you only get the $3500 cash credit, the $3000 factory reduction was for ppl who finance or lease. In any case, that would've made the difference before taxes, $3,035, for completely fully loaded
Sep 23, 2011
298 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Hi, I would be very very thankful for any guidance regarding importing brand new or slightly used Lexus from US to Toronto, ON -
-do US dealers sell new cars to Canadians
-will Canadian dealers honor warranties on car from States
-any info you think would be important and helpful
Thanks a million!
Jul 20, 2007
86 posts
6 upvotes
toronto
Here's an update of my experience buying a 2011 Subaru outback 2.5i limited in from Ganley Westside imports in Cleveland (dealt with Keith Rivers, who I strongly recommend), May 2012:

Using the info and leads provided in this thread, I shopped prices via internet, and phoned up some of the usual suspects, including Van Bortel etc and other based on previous mention in this thread, and proximity to Toronto.

Ganley ended up being the best deal (~1-2k less than Van Bortel when all said and done). I picked up a Silver 2.5i Limited PZEV with some extra add ons.
Finalized deal email/phone, wired $ (used CanadianForex for exchange and wire, best price, free wire, CAN was ~1.04US at the time. Great service.)
Flew to Cleveland from Toronto (45min, <200$), Keith picked me up at airport, Denny's for breakfast than to dealership where everything completed <1hr.
At the border for <15min. Easy drive back to Toronto from Cleveland.

RIV process dead easy -- my only error was registering the title locally at time of purchase, which meant I had to pay for safety before registering in Ontario...

Had aggressively shopped price locally in Toronto, and achieved considerable savings with this route.
All in, including travel, exchange, import fees etc, cost was ~ 29000Can (+tax). i.e.~9000 or so cheaper than comparable vehicle purchased locally, and several thousand less than the base 2.5i; even taking into consideration available rebates, and achievable dealer discounts.

I would definitely do it again, and would strongly recommend Keith at Ganley. Perhaps required a bit more knowledge than just going with Van Bortel, but well worth it (and the whole admin fee thing there really turned me off). If you are a RFD'er, and have read through more than a few pages of this tread, and considering a Subaru, it's a no brainer (provided the Canadian $ holds up/doesn't drop further).

Many thanks to MonsiourMaggot for his efforts and input, and other who provided some insights along the way.
Dec 26, 2009
26 posts
Are you guys purchasing your vehicles cash?

I am looking at a subaru wrx limited in the states but i need to figure out how to finance

I would like to finance the purchase price (~$29000 or so) as well as the taxes and fees at the border

it this possible?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2003
5265 posts
1623 upvotes
SK
trialskid wrote: Are you guys purchasing your vehicles cash?

I am looking at a subaru wrx limited in the states but i need to figure out how to finance

I would like to finance the purchase price (~$29000 or so) as well as the taxes and fees at the border

it this possible?

When buying from the US, you must secure your own cash or loan from Canada. No US business will extend you a loan, finance, or any form of credit as you do not reside in that country.
shopper-X
Dec 26, 2009
26 posts
shopper-X wrote: When buying from the US, you must secure your own cash or loan from Canada. No US business will extend you a loan, finance, or any form of credit as you do not reside in that country.

whats the best way about going to get a loan to purchase a car from the US though?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2003
5265 posts
1623 upvotes
SK
trialskid wrote: whats the best way about going to get a loan to purchase a car from the US though?

I'm no financial adviser but I would start with what equity and collateral you have. Then head to the bank you deal with and see what rate you can get for the total amount you need. I would take the value and shop around for the best rate. Once you have the loan in place, start searching and securing the deal for your vehicle. Tread lightly and do your homework.
shopper-X
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8585 posts
5370 upvotes
vlad353 wrote: Hi, I would be very very thankful for any guidance regarding importing brand new or slightly used Lexus from US to Toronto, ON -
-do US dealers sell new cars to Canadians
-will Canadian dealers honor warranties on car from States
-any info you think would be important and helpful
Thanks a million!

US Lexus dealers are not suppose to sell directly to Cdns for brand new cars. I believe member "Mr. Mayhew" may be able to get brand new Lexus for Cdns, send him a PM. Yes, Cdn Lexus dealers should honour warranties, unless the car was "branded" eg salvage.
Sep 23, 2011
298 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
HP_John wrote: US Lexus dealers are not suppose to sell directly to Cdns for brand new cars. I believe member "Mr. Mayhew" may be able to get brand new Lexus for Cdns, send him a PM. Yes, Cdn Lexus dealers should honour warranties, unless the car was "branded" eg salvage.
yeah, after reading thru topic I have no questions except for a quote from Mr.M :)
PM sent
thank you!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)