Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Sep 20, 2006
254 posts
Anyone know of a BMW dealership willing to sell new cars to Canadians?

Please text me if you have a hint of one or city it is in.

Much appreciated!
Jun 24, 2007
138 posts
AbilityZone wrote: Essentially the quotes are somewhere between MSRP and dealer invoice price. Given that the dealers are not getting all the manufacturer incentives that an American sale would get them and the sale to a Canadian may not count towards their bonus quota (or whatever) I don't blame them for not sharpening their pencils a bit for me.

The 09' Forester is a hot item right now, so they have no reason to be aggressive; however, that's what the wife wants and her 2002 Grand AM is literally falling apart.

Thanks for your input guys, and you are right about the relatively small spread between CDN and US pricing not being worth the hassle. I'm going to be spending around $38K so I would like to save enough to make it worth the bother. Maybe I'm not working hard enough... but I am working on it.
You basically nailed it right on the head. I do enjoy canadian sales, but I can't work for free, and without the incentives we had before and have on the american deals still I can't sell them below invoice like I used to. I still sell Foresters below invoice to US folks, but won't do it for an export...If you can find a dealer that does, oftentimes they are putting you in the system with a fake US address to get the incentives, and I can't help but think that will lead to future problems with warranty and fraudulency as far as recall notices getting to you, etc. NOT a good thing.
With a lot of my canadian purchasers I seriously recommend that they consider the Outback over the Forester, since it is duty-free being part of NAFTA. Love the 09 Foresters, but the Outback doesn't get enough credit and saving that 6% means you're getting more car for the money.
Anyway though... we do have a lifetime warranty on the powertrain.. unlimited miles and term for the original owner.. works in Canada at any ASE certified mechanic. So if you drive the thing into the ground, well, it's a pretty nice incentive and I don't think any Subaru dealer up in Canada gives you that.
Personally, I go home at night and pray the CAD and USD are at par again sometime soon :cheesygri
Jan 1, 2008
17 posts
hhhm3 wrote: Anyone know of a BMW dealership willing to sell new cars to Canadians?

Please text me if you have a hint of one or city it is in.

Much appreciated!
I doubt you will find anyone who will sell you a new one, but anything even slightly used is OK. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3115 posts
1009 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
dOOMYLEIN wrote: Hello.

I'm 1 week away of picking up my used 4Runner from New York. My only unknown for the whole transport/export/import process is in regards to the US license plates. The car is purchased from a individual seller and it's a used car.

Do I need temporary licence plates to drive the car to the border? I will be driving from New York to Detroit and cross to Windsor.
If I need temporary license plates, do I have to issue new plates in each US state I'm driving through?

Thanks for your help!
I wonder if it is possible to make a deal where the seller agrees to let the buyer use his plates to the border when vehicle ownership changes hands.
Jun 24, 2007
138 posts
d00m, call your local DMV and call the DMV down where you will be purchasing the vehicle, explain the situation, and see what they recommend.
Usually a temporary permit would be good enough to get you all the way home, because there are reciprocal agreements and I'd like to believe that most cops are not really so nutty that they'd give you grief over having a temp plate from a different state on your way back home. :| But just to be safe, call both DMVs and maybe any state you are going through and find out if they honor the temp plate from the other state.
Jun 30, 2005
405 posts
43 upvotes
Windsor
Thanks to all for the replies! My intention is to get a temporary cross-state license but the exact details of it I will clarify tomorrow when I'll try to talk to the DMV office from the area I'll buy the car (Connecticut). I will also ask the seller to call them with same questions and after that we compare the answers :)

I see most of you guys have dealt with dealerships (new cars, etc) which (more or less) have some experience with exporting a car and nicely prepare all the needed documents...
Has anybody bought his US car from a private party? Any weird events that I should keep an eye on?!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
2619 posts
271 upvotes
Why do you have to pay 5 percent gst on a used car if you buy it privately?? Doesnt that kill the deal? Buying a chevrolet tracker in washington state.

the price of cars is much cheaper in toronto compared to vancouver. not sure how much of that is the salt on the roads. i guess i should compare new cars instead of used cars. my point is that some of the geographical variation in price on used cars is because certain weather conditions depreciate cars faster.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3092 posts
309 upvotes
I'm thinking of buying a Lexus RX350.

Is it difficult to find a Lexus dealer willing to sell to Canadians?

Would it be more beneficial for me to find a relative in the USA to buy the car and then transfer it to me?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3617 posts
92 upvotes
dOOMYLEIN wrote: Thanks to all for the replies! My intention is to get a temporary cross-state license but the exact details of it I will clarify tomorrow when I'll try to talk to the DMV office from the area I'll buy the car (Connecticut). I will also ask the seller to call them with same questions and after that we compare the answers :)

I see most of you guys have dealt with dealerships (new cars, etc) which (more or less) have some experience with exporting a car and nicely prepare all the needed documents...
Has anybody bought his US car from a private party? Any weird events that I should keep an eye on?!
Same as when you buy a used car here - get it inspected, search for any liens, and someone else can confirm about the title for a US car which I believe you get anyways at completion.

Don't forget to insure the car too.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
mtseymourguy wrote: Why do you have to pay 5 percent gst on a used car if you buy it privately?? Doesnt that kill the deal? Buying a chevrolet tracker in washington state.

the price of cars is much cheaper in toronto compared to vancouver. not sure how much of that is the salt on the roads. i guess i should compare new cars instead of used cars. my point is that some of the geographical variation in price on used cars is because certain weather conditions depreciate cars faster.

You need to pay GST on any car imported into Canada.

Also, vehicles from the Great Lakes region have to endure the massive amount of salt and subsequent slush on the roads. Unless you buy a car that's been rust-proofed yearly from companies like Rust Check or Crown, prepare for some serious underlying salt damage. Most people who lease cars don't put rust-proofing on them and rely on the factory coverage which is NOWHERE near enough for the Great Lakes region cars. In Toronto they typically put down 10 cm of salt for every cm. of snow (kidding). The forming slush then coats every conceivable nook and cranny.

Check the brake lines, fuel tank and undercarriage closely. If it's covered in a black greasy film with clean shiny metal underneath, it's been rust-proofed properly.

When I sold my 11-year old Rust Checked Taurus, the inspection site commented that the brake lines looked new...
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Sep 21, 2001
98 posts
Van Bortel quoted $25,500 (roughly) drive away price for a Forester Limited 9FI. Seems like a good price to me after shopping around for quite some time.

Has anybody from Toronto purchased from Van Bortel (Rochester, NY)? I suppose I could get a friend to go with me and drive my car back, but I'd sooner travel alone. Planes? Trains? Bus?
Sep 21, 2001
98 posts
Somebody suggested utilizing a one-way car rental. Seems like a brilliant idea to me!
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2111 posts
630 upvotes
Montreal
Or I guess you could take the bus, shouldn't be too expensive.

Might have a hard time finding a company willing to rent you a car you are going to leave on the other side of the border.
AbilityZone wrote: Somebody suggested utilizing a one-way car rental. Seems like a brilliant idea to me!
Jan 2, 2007
306 posts
3 upvotes
All, just came back from an Acura dealer in Michigan ... they have some overstock new 2008 Acura TL (regular, not Type-S) on sale for dirt cheap! The base models (US MRSP $34,500 including freight) going for $30k!!! There were about 5 in stock ... blue, white, silver. They also have 2 with navigation at a great price (no idea ... but below invoice for sure!)

PM me if you want to know which dealership is having the deal. I can hook you up ...

PS You will *have* to have a US mailing address to register this car. Acura will not sell you a "new" car. You will have to pay sales tax then you will wait to get your "title" to bring over to Canada...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
inspire wrote: All, just came back from an Acura dealer in Michigan ... they have some overstock new Acura TL (regular, not Type-S) on sale for dirt cheap! The base models (US MRSP $34,500 including freight) going for $30k!!! There were about 5 in stock ... blue, white, silver. They also have 2 with navigation at a great price (no idea ... but below invoice for sure!)

PM me if you want to know which dealership is having the deal. I can hook you up ...

PS You will *have* to have a US mailing address to register this car. Acura will not sell you a "new" car. You will have to pay sales tax then you will wait to get your "title" to bring over to Canada...
Most people I know who bought in Michigan had the car trailered or towed to the border and bypassed paying Michigan State tax. You only pay the tax if you drive it off the lot.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!