Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

  • Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer
 
112
33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper
 
149
44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!
 
61
18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same
 
6
2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!
 
7
2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
2619 posts
271 upvotes
Has anyone done any recent price comparison between cars in vancouver and washington? How far south do you have to go to get best price? I am comparing dealer prices but the prices in bc seem to be all over the place. I dont compare private seller prices as they mark up the cars like crazy. the dealers seem to only mark up cars about 7 percent.(for negotiation)
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
2619 posts
271 upvotes
AMD wrote: Or I guess you could take the bus, shouldn't be too expensive.

Might have a hard time finding a company willing to rent you a car you are going to leave on the other side of the border.
why rent a car? that is very expensive. better to use taxi or ride your bike.
Newbie
Nov 23, 2007
48 posts
Tecumseh
Anyone know a Mazda dealer in Michigan willing to forego the sales tax.

Also will Mazda honor the warranty in Canada.

Thanks.
Member
Sep 7, 2008
280 posts
3 upvotes
Hello

If I can ask my brother in US buy a new car in his name and transfer the ownership to me, will it consider to be a used car? If so, do I have to pay PST as I know I have to pay GST?

Thanks
Jr. Member
Nov 28, 2007
173 posts
8 upvotes
Kelowna
giasone wrote: Anyone know a Mazda dealer in Michigan willing to forego the sales tax.

Also will Mazda honor the warranty in Canada.

Thanks.
I sent you a PM regarding one in Minnesota & one in Oregon.
Newbie
Nov 2, 2007
29 posts
tockty wrote: Hello

If I can ask my brother in US buy a new car in his name and transfer the ownership to me, will it consider to be a used car? If so, do I have to pay PST as I know I have to pay GST?

Thanks
You don't have to pay GST if the vehicle is a gift from your spouse, parents, grandparents, children or grandchildren. You will need a sworn statement. Check this out:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/used.htm

Tax exemption

You do not have to pay retail sales tax if:

* You are a qualifying Diplomat or Status Indian. You can complete a transfer by showing your identity card.
* You receive a vehicle as a gift from a close family member, such as:
o Spouse
o Parent or step-parent
o Grand-parent
o Son or step-son
o Daughter or step-daughter
o Grandson or granddaughter
o Step-grandson or Step-granddaughter
o Son-in-law
o Daughter-in-law
o Father-in-law
o Mother-in-law

Note: only one tax-free transfer per vehicle is allowed every 12 months within your close family.

For some transfers, such as gifts between family members and transfers for insurance purposes, you must have a statement sworn before a Commissioner of Oaths. Present this statement when registering your new vehicle at a Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office.
Sr. Member
Mar 13, 2005
737 posts
50 upvotes
Stoney creek
inspire wrote: All, just came back from an Acura dealer in Michigan ... they have some overstock new Acura TL (regular, not Type-S) on sale for dirt cheap! The base models (US MRSP $34,500 including freight) going for $30k!!! There were about 5 in stock ... blue, white, silver. They also have 2 with navigation at a great price (no idea ... but below invoice for sure!)

PM me if you want to know which dealership is having the deal. I can hook you up ...

PS You will *have* to have a US mailing address to register this car. Acura will not sell you a "new" car. You will have to pay sales tax then you will wait to get your "title" to bring over to Canada...
Holy Crap, that is dirt cheap. Any Ideal how long to get the title?
Member
Sep 7, 2008
280 posts
3 upvotes
usacars2canada wrote: You don't have to pay GST if the vehicle is a gift from your spouse, parents, grandparents, children or grandchildren. You will need a sworn statement. Check this out:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/used.htm

Tax exemption

You do not have to pay retail sales tax if:

* You are a qualifying Diplomat or Status Indian. You can complete a transfer by showing your identity card.
* You receive a vehicle as a gift from a close family member, such as:
o Spouse
o Parent or step-parent
o Grand-parent
o Son or step-son
o Daughter or step-daughter
o Grandson or granddaughter
o Step-grandson or Step-granddaughter
o Son-in-law
o Daughter-in-law
o Father-in-law
o Mother-in-law

Note: only one tax-free transfer per vehicle is allowed every 12 months within your close family.

For some transfers, such as gifts between family members and transfers for insurance purposes, you must have a statement sworn before a Commissioner of Oaths. Present this statement when registering your new vehicle at a Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office.
Thank you!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 12, 2001
3617 posts
92 upvotes
AbilityZone wrote: Van Bortel quoted $25,500 (roughly) drive away price for a Forester Limited 9FI. Seems like a good price to me after shopping around for quite some time.

Has anybody from Toronto purchased from Van Bortel (Rochester, NY)? I suppose I could get a friend to go with me and drive my car back, but I'd sooner travel alone. Planes? Trains? Bus?
As far as peeps buying from Van Bortel, you really need to do a search on this thread...
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Newbie
Sep 11, 2008
35 posts
AbilityZone wrote: I have been scouring the dealerships in NY, New Hampshire and Vermont for an 09' Forester for the past four months without much in the way a deal. The APA price for an XT Limited is about $39k all-in. With the dollar down a bit, 6.1% duty and dealers not wanting to go much below MSRP there is not much of a difference, price wise. Well, maybe worth it but the $3,000 or so saved would be not worth the trouble...

Any thoughts from those who have successfully imported a Subaru?
Canadian Price with freight - $36390
US Price with freight - $28860 * duty*curr = $34427

Those are full MSRP - as we all know the US sells at invoice - so it would be about $2000 less.

So the above differential is now $4000.

How much did you negotiate off the Canadian price?
Newbie
User avatar
Sep 21, 2001
98 posts
CDN price $32,155 - invoice + markup + freight + referral fee
US price $25,506 - invoice + markup + freight
$1,555 + riv + currency exchange.

So about $4,000 savings, plus pst and gst on the $4k (around $520)

Hope my math is right!
Member
User avatar
Jan 2, 2007
306 posts
3 upvotes
jgmaull wrote: Holy Crap, that is dirt cheap. Any Ideal how long to get the title?
No idea ... depends on when the dealer can mail out the paperwork to the DMV of the appropriate state. A week? :confused: Not sure how Monsieurmaggot know people who were able to evade state tax and receive the title from the dealership ...
Newbie
Jan 18, 2007
11 posts
Belleville
AbilityZone wrote: Van Bortel quoted $25,500 (roughly) drive away price for a Forester Limited 9FI. Seems like a good price to me after shopping around for quite some time.

Has anybody from Toronto purchased from Van Bortel (Rochester, NY)? I suppose I could get a friend to go with me and drive my car back, but I'd sooner travel alone. Planes? Trains? Bus?
I just purchased same thing from Van Bortels 6 weeks ago and had wife drive me from Belleville ON to pick up Forester, she returned via 1000 Islands and I drove around lake via Lexington gateway for customs US and Canadian, stopped at RIV office on way back got paperwork, made it to CTC in Belleville that evening for RIV inspection, picked up up plates next morning less than 24 hours total. Saved between 5-7 thousand all depends, used Van Bortels build your own and dealt with Karl great experience. Couldn't find an easier way that wife driving our car back, cost wise, stayed overnite at Microtel in Victor NY, any other questions PM me
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1387 posts
55 upvotes
I've been going through this forum and havn't seen anyone buy a Honda from that states...has anyone had any experiance doing so or know people who have? I know I would have to give up my warrenty but still considering it since the price difference can be huge. (Looking at a 2008 Accord Coupe). If anyone has any experiance or advice for me that would be great.

thanks in advance!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5625 posts
1695 upvotes
Ottawa
Swarez99 wrote: I've been going through this forum and havn't seen anyone buy a Honda from that states...has anyone had any experiance doing so or know people who have? I know I would have to give up my warrenty but still considering it since the price difference can be huge. (Looking at a 2008 Accord Coupe). If anyone has any experiance or advice for me that would be great.

thanks in advance!!!
?????

Did you try searching the thread for Honda ?!? I did, it comes back with 350 hits.

As you said, you'll lose the warranty but a lot of people have still bought them. It's not the easiest car to import since it appears difficult to get the recall letter and you might have a hard time finding a dealer that will sell you a new one (If you are looking for new) but you should be able to get one with a bit of work or you could certainly just buy one through a broker.

Top