Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
That's exactly what the MTO told me.

The US CoO is a US document. In order to "title" the vehicle in Ontario, I surrendered my US ownership and got the green Ontario ownership papers.

Remember for all intents and purposes, once the car is legally imported, it's no longer an American car.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1192 posts
176 upvotes
Montreal
lindmar wrote: So if we're saying Ford will honor the warranty does that include Volvo too?
Now that's an excellent question!

With the exchange rate where it is, the 6% duty is still worth it.
Dec 2, 2006
80 posts
2 upvotes
Not sure if this has been covered. I looked through a good portion of the thread and did not find the info I was looking for.
I am looking to buy used C5 Corvette 1999-2002 from the States. Most likely NY, MI or OH. I will be buying the car privately, since it is working out to be significantly cheaper than buying it from a dealer. I plan on using carchex.com or some similar service to check out the car prior to heading down. Couple of questions:
1. If the car checks out, I would like to drive down pay for the car and drive it back up the same day. How would I go about getting a bill of sale 72 hours in advance to the border?
2. Since it is a private sale, will I have to pay any US sales tax in any of the aforementioned states? Also will I have to pay PST in Canada?
3. How would I go about getting insurance and vehicle permit/license for the car in order to drive it back?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. :cheesygri
Feb 14, 2005
825 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
silverspec wrote: Not sure if this has been covered. I looked through a good portion of the thread and did not find the info I was looking for.
I am looking to buy used C5 Corvette 1999-2002 from the States. Most likely NY, MI or OH. I will be buying the car privately, since it is working out to be significantly cheaper than buying it from a dealer. I plan on using carchex.com or some similar service to check out the car prior to heading down. Couple of questions:
1. If the car checks out, I would like to drive down pay for the car and drive it back up the same day. How would I go about getting a bill of sale 72 hours in advance to the border?
You will not be able to export it the same day. 72 hours unless you want to argue with U.S. Customs
2. Since it is a private sale, will I have to pay any US sales tax in any of the aforementioned states? Also will I have to pay PST in Canada?
Refuse to pay any sales tax. Check the State's DMV website for tax exempt vehicles and explain to the dealer that you are exporting the car. If buying privately, you would need to do the same explanation at the local DMV to get that state's temp permit.
3. How would I go about getting insurance and vehicle permit/license for the car in order to drive it back?
Your insurance company should take care of that for you. Word of warning: typically insurance companies can cover out-of-province vehicle for 14-days only from the date of purchase as shown on your bill of sale. They may threaten to cancel your insurance. But they will give you enough time to avoid it. So, once you cross the border, act fast and get the car inspected and registered.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. :cheesygri
Good luck!
Jul 9, 2005
45 posts
3 upvotes
I tried to read and search for my answer but could not find one.

I would like to import a Mini but have called several dealers in the western usa ( I am in AB) and was told they are not permitted under their dealer contracts with mini to sell internationally.

Has anyone had success with importing a mini and if so which dealership?

They have told me the car needs to be sold and registered to a usa resident. I have an aunt in NC who can buy it but then I would have buy it from her correct?

Any info I can get would be great.

Thanks Everyone
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2003
1407 posts
259 upvotes
BC
wildone wrote: can someone explain the difference between a Certificate of Origin and a Certificate of Title? My dealer says he will have the Title for me when I come to pick up my vehicle (new).
In California, it's just the title....everyone has them, single sheet of paper. The title also tells is the car is clear, salvage, etc.
CHIA
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2003
1407 posts
259 upvotes
BC
[QUOTE]1. If the car checks out, I would like to drive down pay for the car and drive it back up the same day. How would I go about getting a bill of sale 72 hours in advance to the border?[/QUOTE]

As previously mentioned, you cannot do it the same day.....72 hrs notice. So, if you know you are bringing the car back 72hrs before you go down, you could give notice before you leave. I used an auto broker who had an office at our local border crossing to do all the paperwork and importation....cost about $200. I was really pressed for time, so I could not do it myself.

[QUOTE]2. Since it is a private sale, will I have to pay any US sales tax in any of the aforementioned states? Also will I have to pay PST in Canada?[/QUOTE]

Well, people don't collect tax on private sales, so this is non-issue. Yes, you will have to pay all taxes in Canada. One when you cross the border, the other when you insure it.

[QUOTE]3. How would I go about getting insurance and vehicle permit/license for the car in order to drive it back? Any help will be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I got a waiver which was just added on to my normal insurance. It was a 10 day thing that cost about $90. Now, I'm in BC, so I can almost bet that it varies from province to province. I did not get any type of permit in the US DMV either. I called them in Cali, and they said my local insurer would provide coverage.....it was very confusing to say the least. The guy I biught the truck from left the plates on it, so away I went on a 3 day road trip......all was good.

Another point you might want to consider is payment terms. I found out very quickly, that there is almost no way to easily hand over a large sum of money to a US resident, short of carrying a suitcase full of cash.

Certified cheques that are made on a Canadian bank take at LEAST 3-5 days to clear, and most people will not hand you over the key to their car with some crazy looking cheque from a bank they have never heard of. They can be even less willing when they find out how long the money takes to clear.

What I used, which was very easy, and reasonable, was escrow.com. Without typing a short story on how it works, it's basically a safe way for both the buyer and seller, and cost me about $200 at the time....split 2 ways....$100 each for a safe, fast, and realiable method.....great service!

I was able to meet the seller at the airport, go out, look at the truck, then come back in, sign on to escrow, release the funds, and voila, done deal....very slick!
CHIA
May 23, 2007
31 posts
Is it advisable to give more than 72 hours notice. IE: Have the dealer fax the documents one week before you cross?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3180 posts
1938 upvotes
GTA
wildone wrote: Is it advisable to give more than 72 hours notice. IE: Have the dealer fax the documents one week before you cross?
My dealer faxed it as soon as I paid a depost via Credit Card, which was 3-weeks prior to pick-up. I did make him call them 1 week prior to verify that everything is good to go, and he did just that.
May 23, 2007
31 posts
thx. Ok so I spoke with the dealer again. He does have a certificate of Origin on the vehicle but he says he's not sure how to 'sign that over to me'. He says he usually sends that to the DMV and they issue a certificate of title. I figure I don't need the title, just the certificate of origin correct? Less work for him I just need to convince him of this...
Dec 10, 2003
102 posts
15 upvotes
wildone, I just imported a new car from Seattle, WA back to Edmonton. When the car is paid in full, my dealership faxed me with the certificate of origin, on the back there is a place for the dealer to transfer the car to you. You need to fax this to US custom 72 hours before crossing. When you get back to Edmonton, just have RIV email you the Form 2, you can call them to do this. Take the Form 2 and your car to an inspection place. Once the car is inspected, you can take your Form 2 and the certificate of origin to a registry place to register your car. Just a little tip, I took my car to Freedom Ford for the inspection, it was super quick and no hassle. Unlike Crappy Tire where they wanted the car all day to do this. I was in and out of Freedom Ford in 10 min. Just call ahead and make sure that the service advisor that does this is there. He's the only guy that does it, I forgot his name though. I had the car registered 1 day after I got back. Just make sure when you are going through Canadian Custom, have your recall clearance letter ready and make sure they get a copy to fax to RIV with the Form 1. RIV will not send you the Form 2 unless they have both the Form 1 and and recall clearance letter. Call RIV as soon as you get back and make sure they have all the paper work, this usually speed up the process.

Good Luck
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4410 posts
281 upvotes
Luckster wrote: wildone, I just imported a new car from Seattle, WA back to Edmonton. When the car is paid in full, my dealership faxed me with the certificate of origin, on the back there is a place for the dealer to transfer the car to you. You need to fax this to US custom 72 hours before crossing. When you get back to Edmonton, just have RIV email you the Form 2, you can call them to do this. Take the Form 2 and your car to an inspection place. Once the car is inspected, you can take your Form 2 and the certificate of origin to a registry place to register your car. Just a little tip, I took my car to Freedom Ford for the inspection, it was super quick and no hassle. Unlike Crappy Tire where they wanted the car all day to do this. I was in and out of Freedom Ford in 10 min. Just call ahead and make sure that the service advisor that does this is there. He's the only guy that does it, I forgot his name though. I had the car registered 1 day after I got back. Just make sure when you are going through Canadian Custom, have your recall clearance letter ready and make sure they get a copy to fax to RIV with the Form 1. RIV will not send you the Form 2 unless they have both the Form 1 and and recall clearance letter. Call RIV as soon as you get back and make sure they have all the paper work, this usually speed up the process.

Good Luck
What type of car did you import?
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4410 posts
281 upvotes
lindmar wrote: What type of car did you import?
Can anyone confirm for me weather or not they bought a car in Michigan and if you have to pay sales tax.
Dec 2, 2006
80 posts
2 upvotes
CHIA wrote: As previously mentioned, you cannot do it the same day.....72 hrs notice. So, if you know you are bringing the car back 72hrs before you go down, you could give notice before you leave. I used an auto broker who had an office at our local border crossing to do all the paperwork and importation....cost about $200. I was really pressed for time, so I could not do it myself.

Well, people don't collect tax on private sales, so this is non-issue. Yes, you will have to pay all taxes in Canada. One when you cross the border, the other when you insure it.

I got a waiver which was just added on to my normal insurance. It was a 10 day thing that cost about $90. Now, I'm in BC, so I can almost bet that it varies from province to province. I did not get any type of permit in the US DMV either. I called them in Cali, and they said my local insurer would provide coverage.....it was very confusing to say the least. The guy I biught the truck from left the plates on it, so away I went on a 3 day road trip......all was good.

Another point you might want to consider is payment terms. I found out very quickly, that there is almost no way to easily hand over a large sum of money to a US resident, short of carrying a suitcase full of cash.

Certified cheques that are made on a Canadian bank take at LEAST 3-5 days to clear, and most people will not hand you over the key to their car with some crazy looking cheque from a bank they have never heard of. They can be even less willing when they find out how long the money takes to clear.

What I used, which was very easy, and reasonable, was escrow.com. Without typing a short story on how it works, it's basically a safe way for both the buyer and seller, and cost me about $200 at the time....split 2 ways....$100 each for a safe, fast, and realiable method.....great service!

I was able to meet the seller at the airport, go out, look at the truck, then come back in, sign on to escrow, release the funds, and voila, done deal....very slick!

Thanks a lot for all the info. Really helped me out in getting a better understanding on what's involved. :cheesygri

When using the broker, I am assuming all I would need to provide to the broker is the VIN and the date when I plan to import the vehicle.

Suppose the seller is not willing to leave his plates on the car, what is the procedure to get temporary plates. Since I am not a US resident, will the local DMV issue temp plates to me?

I actually was planning to use escrow.com to take care of the payments, so thanks for confirming how easy it is.
Dec 2, 2006
80 posts
2 upvotes
eljay wrote: You will not be able to export it the same day. 72 hours unless you want to argue with U.S. Customs

Refuse to pay any sales tax. Check the State's DMV website for tax exempt vehicles and explain to the dealer that you are exporting the car. If buying privately, you would need to do the same explanation at the local DMV to get that state's temp permit.

Your insurance company should take care of that for you. Word of warning: typically insurance companies can cover out-of-province vehicle for 14-days only from the date of purchase as shown on your bill of sale. They may threaten to cancel your insurance. But they will give you enough time to avoid it. So, once you cross the border, act fast and get the car inspected and registered.

Good luck!
Thanks for all your input.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1192 posts
176 upvotes
Montreal
This is what I received from Subaru of America for the warranty:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru web site and for your message!

The warranty between Subaru of America and Subaru Canada is mutually interchangeable. As such, you can obtain warranty coverage through any authorized Subaru dealer in Canada as well. This is not mentioned on our web site but the agreement is valid.

Thank you for your message and if you have any other questions, do not hesitate to reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Name Witheld
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department

If you call Subaru of Canada (they have no e-mail), they tell you that it is in theory but the dealers might not be all that helpful!
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10756 posts
1916 upvotes
So Subaru Canada gave you a honest answer. Can the dealer able to tell the car is from the States?
scouzi wrote: This is what I received from Subaru of America for the warranty:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru web site and for your message!

The warranty between Subaru of America and Subaru Canada is mutually interchangeable. As such, you can obtain warranty coverage through any authorized Subaru dealer in Canada as well. This is not mentioned on our web site but the agreement is valid.

Thank you for your message and if you have any other questions, do not hesitate to reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Name Witheld
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department

If you call Subaru of Canada (they have no e-mail), they tell you that it is in theory but the dealers might not be all that helpful!
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4410 posts
281 upvotes
Just got this from my local Subaru in Detroit

"My name is %%% %%% and I'll be your contact here at ### Sub###aru
in ##. I see from your internet inquiry you're interested in the
Foresters. As for your question about the taxes; according to NAFTA
statutes you will have to pay Michigan's 6% sales tax and you will have
to title and register the vehicle in Michigan prior to transferring it.
Most of our Canadian customers will use a work address or a friend's
address in Michigan in order to expedite this process.
"

What do you guys think of this?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)