Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Nov 14, 2007
307 posts
68 upvotes
Marzipan wrote: Here is a brief account of getting a pre-owned vehicle from Oklahoma to Yukon. Is this the record distance for an import at 5,000 km?

Searched the Internet for a specific used 2008 Chevy product for months, keeping a spreadsheet showing total cost to get it home and value of each vehicle that scored well. When one popped up in Oklahoma (with less than 200 mi.) it took 3 days to be satisfied with the vehicle, make an offer and get it accepted. I got the Carfax vehicle history and the GM vehicle inquiry printout showing no recalls outstanding before buying. (RIV also advise we get recall letter before buying.)

As per earlier post, wired the money in full via Vancouver Bullion and Currency Exchange at about 1.07 CAD per USD. When money was confirmed as received booked non-refundable flights 3 weeks in advance - 4 hops - $520. Asked dealer not to send me any documents except fax of bill of sale.

Got the Montana export worksheet off the Internet. Filled it out boldly. Faxed it to dealer and asked them to fax it with title (back and front) and bill of sale (not yet signed by me) to US Export office. A week later, checked with the export office to get confirmation of clearance to export.

Went to my friendly insurance agent and added this extra vehicle to coverage effective on day I would pick it up. Pink slip added to my wallet.

For licence plates in USA, OK law requires dealers to affix paper plate to all new and pre-owned vehicles - good for 30 days. (Included in $69 dealer's document fee.) For Canada, Yukon law permits us to take a plate from another vehicle along with the registration just to get home.

Salesman met me at airport. ( Mexican salesman had car heater on because it was only 70 deg F.) Vehicle looked fine so signed bill of sale, odometer declaration, and other places where clerk put an "X". Got the original "recall letter", which was printed out 3 weeks earlier. Had title clerk put dealer's stamp on it to make it look official. (Beware, RIV require letter to be no more than 30 days old.) Also got 3 copies of title (in dealer's name) and bill of sale (dealer to me).

Three days later at Sweetgrass, MT export process was uneventful. Officer did not want any copies - just checked that the original title jived with faxed version. Very little traffic - so had time to look for "Export Vehicle Parking" sign. At Canada Customs, agent filled out Form 1. Paid GST on value using 1.15 exchange rate. Got ripped off by not getting my $400 exemption for being out of Canada for 72 hours - miscommunication. One other importer was bringing in a Camry.

Pulled over at the weigh scales to put on my Yukon plate. Got out Owner's Manual to find out which buttons to push to switch from US to metric. Then off to encounter the madness of Calgary and Edmonton drivers.

Back home, sent RIV fee by Internet. Also faxed "recall letter". Minor glitch was that a few days later RIV "had not received or could not read" their copy of Form 1. (Border agent had tiny handwriting which may not have faxed clearly.) RIV helpfully invited me to fax Form 1. Next day they emailed me Form 2, the inspection form.

Canadian Tire did the inspection. One other vehicle also in for a RIV check. Seems their cut of the $195 RIV fee was $53.

Prior to buying used in the US, I asked local GM dealer for a price on the new vehicle but got the usual about very little marjin to work with. Also called GM Canada and pointed out there was a 10,000 CAD pricing difference after the only incentive - a gas card. Was there anything they could do? No!

One more call to GM Canada to clarify warranty status. It is: no warranty in Canada until vehicle has been in service for 12 months AND has 12,000 km on the odometer. The contact at GM recorded me as the owner of this vehicle in their system. Also she eagerly gave me the 800 number to buy a recall letter.

I won't attempt to tell you how many $$$ I saved. Here are the salient facts.

New from local dealer, with zero on odo and full warranty - taxes and all - MSRP before dealing - 31,300 CAD

Used from OK, back at my driveway, 5,500 km on the odo but restricted warranty - air fare, gas costs, 3 motels, RIV fee, taxes and all - 21,500 CAD.

Congrats! Another happy RFDer!
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3617 posts
92 upvotes
rayq wrote: Hi, does any of you ever import a Corvette from US or have looking into the procedure to do that? My friend's boss is interested in getting a 2009 ZR1 from the States since there is no availability over here in Canada. He has contacted one of the dealers on the south side, they told him that a US resident with driver licence is required to purchase the car, then they can help to do the exporting/importing. He has no problem find a US friend/relative for that, but can any one help to explain how the procedure works?

Does the US resident purchase the car first, get it insured, register, then sell it back to him (right at the spot or few days later at the dealership)?

Thanks for all inputs.
You really need to use the search feature for the thread.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Jul 10, 2007
36 posts
Kingsville
rayq wrote: Hi, does any of you ever import a Corvette from US or have looking into the procedure to do that? My friend's boss is interested in getting a 2009 ZR1 from the States since there is no availability over here in Canada. He has contacted one of the dealers on the south side, they told him that a US resident with driver licence is required to purchase the car, then they can help to do the exporting/importing. He has no problem find a US friend/relative for that, but can any one help to explain how the procedure works?

Thanks for all inputs.
Sure others have told you to do the work to get smarter -- can;t ask the really basic questions here ... but

here is SWEET web site for Corvette's ----

http://www.jeffhardy.com/lookupvette.php

also a Cdn sub section on this Corvette forum --the busiest forum you will ever see ... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/index.php?

DO THE WORK --that is half the fun
Go crazy

Greg & my C6 vert from Michigan :-)
Oct 24, 2008
4 posts
Milton
Hi all,

I am kind of new here so instead of going thru 1000s of replies to this topic I thought I should better ask it. I will just put it short. I just recently got job in US and living in North Carolina. My family is still in Ontario, Canada. I want to buy Honda Pilot and move it to Canada after some time but looking at the current dollar value what do you guys advise me, should I wait or should I buy it in Canada.
Oct 20, 2007
44 posts
alberta
Hello folks.
Well it's pretty much a year since I imported my truck.

What a difference only one year makes!!

I haven't been reading since spring and it sure is good to see Auto WOW still going and with a lot of familiar names. Great to still read successful import stories.

Thanks again to the maggot for saving me big bucks. Cheers!
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30701 posts
1601 upvotes
Fernando Poo
giasone wrote: Soon this thread will have no more relevance.
Well, until the US dollar drops again to below $1 CDN, which shouldn't take too long.
Banned
May 20, 2008
227 posts
13 upvotes
Ontario
hagbard wrote: Well, until the US dollar drops again to below $1 CDN, which shouldn't take too long.
Not long at all ... the obscenely overpriced US $ is in for something none of you expect. Like I stated before this sell-off in equities and the CDN $ happened, watch the interest return in this thread.

The unexpected, undeserved fall in our $ is something you can all capitalize on now by buying up as much of our currency as you can. According to Nandu, "You buy Canada", says Mr. Narayanan, who can't believe the way the loonie has been savaged.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5923 posts
155 upvotes
Murica
[quote="mplsv" post_id="7622138" time="1225044910" user_id="160924"]Not long at all ... the obscenely overpriced US $ is in for something none of you expect. Like I stated before this sell-off in equities and the CDN $ happened, watch the interest return in this thread.

The unexpected, undeserved fall in our $ is something you can all capitalize on now by buying up as much of our currency as you can. According to Nandu, "You buy Canada", says Mr. Narayanan, who can't believe the way the loonie has been savaged.
Banned
May 20, 2008
227 posts
13 upvotes
Ontario
mangoman wrote: Hmm, it doesn't really take balls to acknowledge something that everyone already knows as FACT. We'd be impressed if you actually apologized for your rude and condescending posts that turned out to be inaccurate and quite misguided in their timelines instead.

"But rest assured, the CDN dollar will return to well above par ... and no, I will not predict when that will happen exactly as I cannot predict the manipulation of large organizations nor the utter stupidity of the masses. "

Hey didn't I tell you that it was just a prophechy/prediction/opinion on your part when it came to these timelines? On July 15th actually...

I gave you the "out" so that you could at least C.Y.A. when it came to your "bold" statements but instead you chose to show your foolish/confrontational side. Glad to see HUMILITY has at least taught you to step away from your former dayjob of predicting timelines. Most folks here were interested in buying something within the year (this was back in July) and the things you're hypothesizing about were maybe 1.5 yrs down the line (or should I say have no specified timeline now).

And yes I'm enjoying my US-bought used car which would have cost me 15-20% more had I waited until now (oil prices coming down actually caused the market price to drop by a couple of hundred).

Nobody's saying your points were invalid, however facts alone don't dictate markets and market sentiment (and once again, I'm no expert).
Good to see your luck in buying when you did ... your 50/50 gamble in buying when you did could have easily cost you had our $ climbed above par.

Until you have FACTS to back up your claim that "most" wanted to buy immediately, please stop fabricating. Patience will reward most far more than you lucked out on.

For those waiting patiently instead of dropping, say, $25k on a depreciating asset ... they'll be far ahead of you investing their money and leasing while you "enjoy" your used car. I know I'll have a LOT more money in two years time by not giving away $25k now.

Lastly, FACTS do dictate markets in due time. Patience and rationality also win out over emotion and gambling.
Banned
May 20, 2008
227 posts
13 upvotes
Ontario
maniacshopper wrote: in a perfect world, we should be the next super power, as everyone should be rebuilding their financial system. In the real world, if you let the US default, all those trillions of $ in US T-bills, that the world holds, as institutions have to invest the USD it holds or earn LIBOR or eurodollar deposits. If the US defaults, it will start WW3, people will fight to have a piece of the US, not that it will ever happen.

Unfortunately at this rapid depreciation in the CAD as a result of the BOC rate cuts, we may see 0.60 CAD soon, most likely the work by fx traders. Which means prices for imports are going up.
I don't know that the Chinese need to be rebuilding their financial system. I don't know that the Asians do either. I do know that they should be scooping up real assets and unloading the worthless crap they now hold as US $s.

I read that next summer may be the ugly, unhoped-for time for a default by the US. Imagine what would then transpire? How would you feel if you lent a friend money and they went bankrupt and never paid you back? Would you lend to them again? This conversation we're having has been ongoing amongst economists and central banks for years now ... this isn't something that wasn't known about until this year ... this has been analyzed and acknowledged for some time. Only now has the general public been aware of this nightmare.

All currencies are being devalued, ALL. You may see relative gains and losses but if they are all becoming worthless to varying degrees why wouldn't you be looking for a way of preserving your wealth? Gold will be that out.

We will NOT see a 60 cent dollar here. The blow-off to the downside we just witnessed is similar to the blow-off to the upside we had to $1.10. The relative situation I just mentioned will return the world to CDN investments as we are the safest place to go. Read the article I referenced earlier today and see that intelligent people know what to do. Also read the other article I referenced in the last page of this thread. These are FACTS that will come to pass shortly as logic prevails.

With all this happening, is it financially responsible to pay out $25k of your money and 1. have it depreciate like no other investment? 2. not invest it knowing what is coming? I'm not saying don't buy a car ... but maybe leasing one and investing the rest? This presumes you know where to invest so maybe I'm giving too much credit to some of you ... two of you know exactly who you are as you've shown some of your "abilities" in life.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30701 posts
1601 upvotes
Fernando Poo
mplsv wrote: Not long at all ... the obscenely overpriced US $ is in for something none of you expect.
I expect the US dollar to become worth less than bumwad. I'm I close? Since all the world's currencies are tied to it (well, except perhaps Syria's) we're all in for a bumpy ride.

BTW, if you know where I can buy gold coins, it would be much appreciated.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4629 upvotes
Montreal
hagbard wrote: I expect the US dollar to become worth less than bumwad. I'm I close? Since all the world's currencies are tied to it (well, except perhaps Syria's) we're all in for a bumpy ride.

BTW, if you know where I can buy gold coins, it would be much appreciated.

You can buy Gold coins from the Canadian Mint, US Mint and Kitco.com, which even sells gold and silver bars. They are based here in Montreal.

That being said it looks like some normalcy is returning to currency markets and our dollar, so I just converted my US dollars back to CDN. No point in letting the profits evaporate. Hopefully, we return to 90 cents where the deals will work in our favor again.