Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1190 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal
lindmar wrote: Just got this from my local Subaru in Detroit

"My name is %%% %%% and I'll be your contact here at ### Sub###aru
in ##. I see from your internet inquiry you're interested in the
Foresters. As for your question about the taxes; according to NAFTA
statutes you will have to pay Michigan's 6% sales tax and you will have
to title and register the vehicle in Michigan prior to transferring it.
Most of our Canadian customers will use a work address or a friend's
address in Michigan in order to expedite this process.
"

What do you guys think of this?
Look elsewhere. State sales taxes and NAFTA have nothing in common.

Buy in New York.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1190 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal
82 wrote: So Subaru Canada gave you a honest answer. Can the dealer able to tell the car is from the States?
I guess they both gave me the same answer in different words.

Subaru America benefits from this and Subaru Canada suffers from it but they have an agreement between each other to respect.

Subaru Canada is trying to possibly discourage me by "moral suasion" since they can't prevent it.

My insurance company knew that it wasn't a Canadian car when I gave them the VIN - so I guess it's coded into the VIN.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4358 posts
269 upvotes
scouzi wrote: Look elsewhere. State sales taxes and NAFTA have nothing in common.

Buy in New York.
There wont be much of a savings to come to New York and purchase. If I buy, it will be here in Michigan.

But I thought the same thing. What does NAFTA have to do with sales tax.

Perhaps I'll look at another dealer now.
Jan 10, 2007
778 posts
446 upvotes
Montreal
superwell wrote: Man if you listen to some of those videos you will just not import anymore. Plus what kind of exchange rate are they stating on that video....
Driving tv depends on advertisements and receives most of its cars for the show from these same Canadian car companies that are knowingly selling most of their cars from 15 to 50 percent more expensive in Canada. If manufacturers stopped supplying vehicles, stopped sending the hosts to all the fancy car shows around the world for free and stopped advertising during the show then they would out of a job ! It is as simple as that !

So, although people have written to them to discuss the topic driving TV has tried to discourage people from going through with the process by portraying it as a gruesome, tedious endeavour. From the over 2000 posts on this topic, many people have stuck it to the Canadian branch of these auto manufacturers and the process is not as difficult as driving tv portrays it to be. Also, in most cases, you do not need a broker to do it. If you have ever done some simple paperwork for your passport, for example, it is as easy as that !

Now, could we stop using driving tv as a reliable source of information as these videos have been referenced on this forum at least 10 times.

Know let us continue buying cars from the US with a 93.25 cent dollar !
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1146 posts
96 upvotes
perfchris wrote: Driving tv depends on advertisements and receives most of its cars for the show from these same Canadian car companies that are knowingly selling most of their cars from 15 to 50 percent more expensive in Canada. If manufacturers stopped supplying vehicles, stopped sending the hosts to all the fancy car shows around the world for free and stopped advertising during the show then they would out of a job ! It is as simple as that !

So, although people have written to them to discuss the topic driving TV has tried to discourage people from going through with the process by portraying it as a gruesome, tedious endeavour. From the over 2000 posts on this topic, many people have stuck it to the Canadian branch of these auto manufacturers and the process is not as difficult as driving tv portrays it to be. Also, in most cases, you do not need a broker to do it. If you have ever done some simple paperwork for your passport, for example, it is as easy as that !

Now, could we stop using driving tv as a reliable source of information as these videos have been referenced on this forum at least 10 times.

Know let us continue buying cars from the US with a 93.25 cent dollar !

true dat!!
May 23, 2007
31 posts
Luckster wrote: wildone, I just imported a new car from Seattle, WA back to Edmonton. When the car is paid in full, my dealership faxed me with the certificate of origin, on the back there is a place for the dealer to transfer the car to you. You need to fax this to US custom 72 hours before crossing. When you get back to Edmonton, just have RIV email you the Form 2, you can call them to do this. Take the Form 2 and your car to an inspection place. Once the car is inspected, you can take your Form 2 and the certificate of origin to a registry place to register your car. Just a little tip, I took my car to Freedom Ford for the inspection, it was super quick and no hassle. Unlike Crappy Tire where they wanted the car all day to do this. I was in and out of Freedom Ford in 10 min. Just call ahead and make sure that the service advisor that does this is there. He's the only guy that does it, I forgot his name though. I had the car registered 1 day after I got back. Just make sure when you are going through Canadian Custom, have your recall clearance letter ready and make sure they get a copy to fax to RIV with the Form 1. RIV will not send you the Form 2 unless they have both the Form 1 and and recall clearance letter. Call RIV as soon as you get back and make sure they have all the paper work, this usually speed up the process.

Good Luck
Excellent info and advice Luckster! Much appreciated. I will report back on the whole process.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3161 posts
1917 upvotes
GTA
lindmar wrote: Just got this from my local Subaru in Detroit

"My name is %%% %%% and I'll be your contact here at ### Sub###aru
in ##. I see from your internet inquiry you're interested in the
Foresters. As for your question about the taxes; according to NAFTA
statutes you will have to pay Michigan's 6% sales tax and you will have
to title and register the vehicle in Michigan prior to transferring it.
Most of our Canadian customers will use a work address or a friend's
address in Michigan in order to expedite this process.
"

What do you guys think of this?
I say "I'll take my business to Western New York then, spank you very much"...

On a unrelated note, anyone have a GTA Subaru dealer that will service US cars without attitude ? I heard Markham, anywhere else ?

On a even more unrelated note, NY cars seems to have the same emmision standard as California cars (in the case of Subaru), what's that all about, and how does that compare to Canadian models ?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5867 posts
1923 upvotes
Ottawa
A bit off topic so please respond in this thread http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=447598 (this thread is already long enough without discussing specifics of various trim levels) but I'm thinking of getting a Subaru Outback as well as was curious about opinions of a 2.5XT vs a 3.0R and since so many of you have already made the choice, I thought I'd ask here as well.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10695 posts
1890 upvotes
I guess he means import tax are eliminated by NAFTA but you still need to pay States tax. But you are right, you pay States tax not because of NAFTA, bad explanation on his part.
lindmar wrote: There wont be much of a savings to come to New York and purchase. If I buy, it will be here in Michigan.

But I thought the same thing. What does NAFTA have to do with sales tax.

Perhaps I'll look at another dealer now.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4358 posts
269 upvotes
82 wrote: I guess he means import tax are eliminated by NAFTA but you still need to pay States tax. But you are right, you pay States tax not because of NAFTA, bad explanation on his part.

OK. So are we then saying Sales taxes MUST be paid in Michigan.

But not in New York & Washington?

I've got another dealer who is motivated to deal with me checking. I know we have a few WIndsor people here who have imported.. Can anyone chime in.

There is an exemption form they can fill out and a check box that says "other" they are wondering if they can just put "Canadian" in the box.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3161 posts
1917 upvotes
GTA
lindmar wrote: OK. So are we then saying Sales taxes MUST be paid in Michigan

But not in New York & Washington?

I've got another dealer who is motivated to deal with me checking.

There is an exemption form they can fill out and a check box that says "other" they are wondering if they can just put "Canadian" in the box.
Ask him if you showed him a Texas address and driver's license does he still charge you Michigan tax.
There is definetly exemption forms for NY. My dealer gave me copies of them (inside my "package"), but I had absolutely no need for it.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4358 posts
269 upvotes
flaming homer wrote: Ask him if you showed him a Texas address and driver's license does he still charge you Michigan tax.
There is definetly exemption forms for NY. My dealer gave me copies of them (inside my "package"), but I had absolutely no need for it.
I'll wait and hear back from the other dealer.
It appears the exemption forms are for the retailer themselves and I simply must sign it and they retain it.
But, if Michigan requires Sales Tax to be paid, this is an official deal kill for residents of this end of Ontario...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5867 posts
1923 upvotes
Ottawa
lindmar wrote: I'll wait and hear back from the other dealer.
It appears the exemption forms are for the retailer themselves and I simply must sign it and they retain it.
But, if Michigan requires Sales Tax to be paid, this is an official deal kill for residents of this end of Ontario...
Looks like Michigan is no go (and the dealer wasn't trying to screw you); from their website:

Foreign Registration. Persons buying vehicles for titling and registration in another country must pay 6 percent Michigan
sales tax.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/485_72279_7.pdf
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4358 posts
269 upvotes
michelb wrote: Looks like Michigan is no go (and the dealer wasn't trying to screw you); from their website:

Foreign Registration. Persons buying vehicles for titling and registration in another country must pay 6 percent Michigan
sales tax.

Weird.

I looked back in this thread, and we have a importer from Windsor who bought from the same dealer I got that email from and he didnt pay sales tax. He was required to pay a $140 Michigan Registration fee.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4799 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
flaming homer wrote: I say "I'll take my business to Western New York then, spank you very much"...

On a unrelated note, anyone have a GTA Subaru dealer that will service US cars without attitude ? I heard Markham, anywhere else ?

On a even more unrelated note, NY cars seems to have the same emmision standard as California cars (in the case of Subaru), what's that all about, and how does that compare to Canadian models ?
I think some Michigan dealers don't bother to do the leg work themselves and fill out the Michigan States tax exemption form.

If that' the case, what else won't they do for their out of States, or even Canadian customers.

According to yyz2hkg, Richmond Hills Subaru and probably others won't give you the attitude. But I'll try to go to Markham and see what happen, I definitely won't take a 'NO' for an answer.

According to this http://www.cleancarcampaign.org/emissions.shtml, NY cars having same emmision standard as California cars. If that's the case do Subaru Outback qualify for a 'Green' rebate. :razz:

The whole process of importing a car from US 'IS' not rocket science, I would even go so far as saying, it's even easier than applying for a passport.

The whole process from beginning to registering the vehicles took me about a week. Try that with the passport office, it's more likely 10 months of just waiting around.

Make sure you have all the paperwork ready and call the border custom days ahead of time to confirm they have the title of your vehicle.

When crossing the border to the US side, tell the US custom that you come to purchase a vehicle and show them the dealer invoice.
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5867 posts
1923 upvotes
Ottawa
lindmar wrote: Weird.

I looked back in this thread, and we have a importer from Windsor who bought from the same dealer I got that email from and he didnt pay sales tax. He was required to pay a $140 Michigan Registration fee.
If he's an importer, he might have some commercial license that makes him tax exempt (no idea - just guessing). But if he paid the registration fee then he might have registered it in Michigan as well (since he can maybe do it tax free) which isn't what you're doing so it's 2 pretty different cases.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3161 posts
1917 upvotes
GTA
michelb wrote: Looks like Michigan is no go (and the dealer wasn't trying to screw you); from their website:

sales tax.

What an interesting document
Exempt States: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon. These states have no sales tax. New Mexico has no sales tax on vehicles.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
michelb wrote: A bit off topic so please respond in this thread http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=447598 (this thread is already long enough without discussing specifics of various trim levels) but I'm thinking of getting a Subaru Outback as well as was curious about opinions of a 2.5XT vs a 3.0R and since so many of you have already made the choice, I thought I'd ask here as well.
I narrowed my choices down to the two vehicles you outlined above.

For me, after more Internet research (of course) it came down to a simple decision. The XT runs exclusively on Premium fuel. The 3.0R runs on any grade (Premium is recommended but not required). The XT has the same HP but more torque WHEN the turbo kicks in. This didn't make any difference in my decision. Most of the time (regular driving) you running a four banger. You do get a "fancy-pants" air intake in the hood of the XT. The repair costs on a turbocharged model is much higher than a regularly aspirated engine. There is no indicator that there's a 3.0 Litre in my vehicle whereas the XT has a logo on the back. Mine does have the oval LLBean logo but that's also available as a 2.5 litre trim model. The XT and 3.0R are essentially the same price and have exactly the same options. There is a minor instrumentation difference on the turbo. As you pointed out, the 3.0R is only available with the shiftronic 5-speed transmission. No manual is available.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2861 posts
751 upvotes
flaming homer wrote: I say "I'll take my business to Western New York then, spank you very much"...

Flaming Homer...do you mean you heard Markham Subaru services your vehicle with or without attitude, can you confirm. thx...I'd like to know too. I personally have been to many of the dealerships and want to know what you think.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2861 posts
751 upvotes
whampoa wrote:
Richmond Hills Subaru and probably others won't give you the attitude. But I'll try to go to Markham and see what happen, I definitely won't take a 'NO' for an answer.

Whampoa, let me know how everything went. I'd like to know from the guys who imported their vehicles, especially Subaru in Ontario and see how the dealership treat "US Vehcles" Let me know all...A warranty is a warranty after all.