Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
You are correct.

It took Subaru until October to get the 2007s approved for import. There was very little technical changes between the 2006 and 2007s.

RIV told me that some manufacturers don't submit information for up to six months after the model goes on sale in Canada.

May be their way to suppress the market.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4323 posts
219 upvotes
bilzebub wrote: Just called RIV to inquire on the 2008s: they said they are admissable before the publication of the admissability list so long as Subaru head office faxes on company letterhead an admissability letter for your vehicle (incl VIN) before you go to the border.
Not really sure what that means?
Is subaru going to do that?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
lindmar wrote: Not really sure what that means?
Is subaru going to do that?
What you'd be doing is essentially contacting the manufacturers' Canadian subsidiary and telling them you don't want to buy their overpriced Canadian model. You would also like their assistance in ensuring that the same vehicle purchased from a US subsidiary at a much lower price conforms to the Canadian standard. If it doesn't, request that they provide all necessary information on what actually differs between the two models.

Expect a warm and speedy reception with that request.

I didn't need a car that badly. I simply waited until the approval list was updated to include my model year and minimized any contact with the Canadian subsidiary.
Jan 22, 2007
15 posts
Well it's not SOC I was told to contact, but SOA, as they are the ones selling the car, and have the VIN. Not that they'd want to help out either, necessarily, but they might, who knows? I'll give'em a call.
Dec 27, 2005
695 posts
16 upvotes
bilzebub wrote: Well it's not SOC I was told to contact, but SOA, as they are the ones selling the car, and have the VIN. Not that they'd want to help out either, necessarily, but they might, who knows? I'll give'em a call.
It would be great if SOA would do that for us to speed up the importation.
Please keep us know if SOA will do that. :D :D I am also waiting for 08 models to get approved for importation.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2267 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver
can't wait to import 2008 Tribeca,looks need wait another 4 month for RIV to put on the list> :(
Mar 27, 2006
990 posts
215 upvotes
Don't count on being able to speed the process. Last fall I tried to get them to speed up the process with the 2007 Subarus. They were out in the Western US for 6 months and Eastern US 3 months prior to Subaru Canada adding them to the list for import. Subaru USA would not send the letter to the RIV even though they had Subaru dealers asking them to so they could sell to Canadians. Subaru Canada obviously didn't care. Basically when Subaru Canada starts to import the next year model is when they will show up on the RIV list. Expect it to be Sept or Oct. Keep an eye on the Subaru Canada website or just call your local Canadian Subaru dealer and ask when the 08's will arrive....that will give you an idea.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1416 posts
145 upvotes
I'm interested in compiling a list of people who want to buy in Buffalo when the 2008 Subaru's are on the RIV admissibility list. Can you imagine the clout we'll have if a bunch of us buy together? We'll get the best price with alot of extra's thrown in so that they get our business! What do you think? Inbox me your name, your e-mail address and maybe the Subaru you're interested in, and when the time comes I'll send out a group e-mail and we can go through the process as a group and even go pick up our vehicles together.

I had my heart set on a RAV4 but the savings on Subarus is just sick. Also Subaru dealers in the US seem to actually value Canadians business as opposed to Toyota.

P.S. Big thanks to Monsieurmaggot for starting this thread and taking the time to answer questions and post your personal experience.
Jan 22, 2007
15 posts
I called SOA and they will not fax an admissbility letter. The CSR was sympathetic, however, and is going to get back to me with info as to when the admissability list is being updated... :|
Feb 12, 2007
5 posts
Sorry if this information has been stated already as I did not read all messages. I was looking for an S2000 from the US, you have to pay 14% pst, gst and 6.9% duty on any NAFTA non complaint car. The TV show Canadian Driver (may have been Driving TV) did series of shows on importing and interviewed an importer who stated that the saving must be at least 5000 before it is really worth it. One thing to watch for is that it is easy to clear the history of car in the US
Feb 12, 2007
5 posts
Oh and I forgot, if you are not going to keep the car for a long time my friend found that they are alot harder to sell, although some people make a good living off of importing.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
2063 posts
1086 upvotes
Ottawa
What border crossing can vehicles be exported at in New York State?
Only the Alexandria crossing? or is that the office that handles the paperwork?

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/cont ... y/0701.xml

On the ogdensburg crossing is shows vehicle export services provided by alexandria crossing but what does that mean ?

thanks again!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5717 posts
1774 upvotes
Ottawa
fruzmatik wrote: What border crossing can vehicles be exported at in New York State?
Only the Alexandria crossing? or is that the office that handles the paperwork?

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/cont ... y/0701.xml

On the ogdensburg crossing is shows vehicle export services provided by alexandria crossing but what does that mean ?

thanks again!
Just call and ask them. You need to do that anyway to find out if they only handle exports during specific hours, if they'll accept a fax of the title or if they want the original, if they need or really want the title 72hrs before (or some are even 72 business hours before), etc (some places may want the original title in their hand 72 business hours before you export - others are fine with a fax).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
shaolinmonk wrote: anybody got any info on importing an scion xb?

this thread has gotten me a bit confused....
Go to RIV.ca.

Be careful as some 2005 and 2006 Scion tC models are not admissible in Canada. I understand the biggest issue is that the bumpers can't pass the crash safety tests.