Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Sep 21, 2008
655 posts
1019 upvotes
Repost, still hoping some experts in here can help!

Hey All,

I am slated to get some warranty work completed on my imported 2011 Legacy. Last time I had checked (well over a year ago), we could just submit the cost of the warranty work to Subaru USA and get re-imbursed. At that time, it was described to me as something of a "gentlemen's agreement". Does anybody know if Subaru USA is still honouring warranty work done by Canadian Subaru dealerships??

Thanks for any help!
Oct 25, 2007
203 posts
16 upvotes
St. John's
buriboi wrote: Repost, still hoping some experts in here can help!

Hey All,

I am slated to get some warranty work completed on my imported 2011 Legacy. Last time I had checked (well over a year ago), we could just submit the cost of the warranty work to Subaru USA and get re-imbursed. At that time, it was described to me as something of a "gentlemen's agreement". Does anybody know if Subaru USA is still honouring warranty work done by Canadian Subaru dealerships??

Thanks for any help!
I did this about a month ago on a 2010 legacy and it was fine. Call the 1-800 for Subaru of America and they will give you a case number. Scan and email your warranty receipts to customer@subaru.com with your case number in the subject line. You will have your cheque in 3 to 4 weeks. Note they do not cover local taxes (i.e. HST) or small things like shop charges.
Sep 21, 2008
655 posts
1019 upvotes
what are "shop charges"?
luvdadeals wrote: I did this about a month ago on a 2010 legacy and it was fine. Call the 1-800 for Subaru of America and they will give you a case number. Scan and email your warranty receipts to customer@subaru.com with your case number in the subject line. You will have your cheque in 3 to 4 weeks. Note they do not cover local taxes (i.e. HST) or small things like shop charges.
Sep 3, 2007
659 posts
72 upvotes
Aurora
Hello All,

I am purchasing a Toyota from a dealer in the Rochester area. The dealer will give me temp tags for the car.

Can I drive with those temp tags all the way home (Toronto) or just to the border (Niagara Falls)?

If to the border, How does one obtain a temp tag without the ownership, as per ServiceOnatrio site? It seems they require ownership before they would issue temp tags, unless I miss reading.

Any input would be greatly appreciate it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
joejack wrote: Hello All,

I am purchasing a Toyota from a dealer in the Rochester area. The dealer will give me temp tags for the car.

Can I drive with those temp tags all the way home (Toronto) or just to the border (Niagara Falls)?

If to the border, How does one obtain a temp tag without the ownership, as per ServiceOnatrio site? It seems they require ownership before they would issue temp tags, unless I miss reading.

NY Temp Tags are fine in Ontario.

As far as getting them from Ontario, you cannot get a temporary permit until you pretty much complete the RIV import process (you need your stamped form from CT before they'll issue it).
Feb 12, 2013
837 posts
96 upvotes
joejack wrote: Hello All,

Were you able to save lots of money through going to a Rochester dealer? I have found that there is less incentive to import now as the prices have come down in Canada.
Sep 3, 2007
659 posts
72 upvotes
Aurora
Not by much. I am looking at a base 2011 Toyota Venza (used). The difference in price after calculating 2 trips to Rochester, $ conversion, RIV, Doc fee, and HST, I might save $1500. Nothing like what I saved in 2007 when I imported 2007 Honda Odyssey.
Sep 21, 2008
655 posts
1019 upvotes
I'm still trying to figure out what Luvdadeals means when he says Subaru USA won't cover "small things like shop charges". Does this mean they don't cover the labour??
buriboi wrote: what are "shop charges"?
Oct 25, 2007
203 posts
16 upvotes
St. John's
They cover labour but the dealer I go to charges a small amount as "shop/enviro fees" I think it is environmental fees for disposing of the oil or other fluids if required to be changed as part of warranty work plus some other random charges - likely just a way to gouge some more money out of customers . I had a $350 repair bill and the shop charges were $12. Nothing to get worried about.
Sep 21, 2008
655 posts
1019 upvotes
luvdadeals wrote: They cover labour but the dealer I go to charges a small amount as "shop/enviro fees" I think it is environmental fees for disposing of the oil or other fluids if required to be changed as part of warranty work plus some other random charges - likely just a way to gouge some more money out of customers . I had a $350 repair bill and the shop charges were $12. Nothing to get worried about.
Ah yes....typical gouging stuff, gotcha :) Thanks!
Jul 18, 2013
2 posts
Toronto
Hi guys, Im new to this forum, and I had a quick question - I am looking for a Toyota Sienna, and upon doing research, Toyota's offer warranty converage from US bought vehicles and brought back to Canada.
Just wondering if anyone has bought from Buffalo NY and any recommendations who to speak to?
Looking for new or 1-2 yr old.

Thanks,
Sep 7, 2009
241 posts
34 upvotes
I think Toyota blocks the sale of new cars to Canadians, so you may have to go used.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
phlegm2 wrote: I think Toyota blocks the sale of new cars to Canadians, so you may have to go used.
Correct. New is generally not possible unless you can register it in the USA first. Used is no problem.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
8018 posts
1780 upvotes
Toronto
anyone know of any good brokers to help with the sale of a used car? Looking to pick up a used subaru, doing some research now, willing to go to pick up, but ive heard of companies that help with the transition as i am new to it all.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2004
1816 posts
430 upvotes
Edmonton
can anyone answer one question for me please? can i have someone (canadian as well) go to the states on my behalf and buy a car for me? i just want to know if they have to buy it and register it under their name and then i would buy it back from him and register with canada when he drives it back or what? he doesnt want any tax implications for him buying under his name and then selling it to me. would he be able to buy it and register it in usa under my name without me being there? when he comes across the border would that be an issue? do i need to go to the border as well or can i do the inspection and get it registered with insruance company after wards myself? thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1524 posts
393 upvotes
Mississauga
This is a great thread with lots of great info. I did a search for "moving" to see if anyone had posted something similar to my situation. None exactly, so here we go.

I'm an American in tax free NH who has a PR card. I'll be moving with my Canadian wife to Mississauga in 1-2 months. Should I consider buying a car here and then bringing it with us? The search for "moving" helped me find a post that said something about a 6 month wait after purchase to avoid HST if I read correctly. But since I have to declare everything for import when I make the move, I guess I still have to pay the tax, correct? Could I avoid the tax by keeping the car in NH (say with a friend) for 6 months?

I read an article on Globe & Mail (Link) that listed a whole bunch of fees for importing a car. They make it seem like it's not worth importing it.
Sep 3, 2007
659 posts
72 upvotes
Aurora
I went through a similar situation back in 2000 when I moved from the states and again in 2005 when my parents moved. In each situation, my research indicated that I should have bought the car at least six months in advance of my moving plans to show (to customs) that my purchase was not to escape taxes, but had a real use and intent to use in the USA. This was not limited to the car, but any and all (assuming large $) items.

Hope this helps.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
8092 posts
349 upvotes
JWL wrote: Rather than being so mysterious care to tell us exactly what you disagree with and why? Either that or stop begging! :D Thanks.
because i did so for my 2008 Sienna (actually i had ordered mine to be built), and with chatting with some dealers, i could do the same now.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
sienna owner wrote: because i did so for my 2008 Sienna (actually i had ordered mine to be built), and with chatting with some dealers, i could do the same now.
Could you provide details of which dealers you're chatting with. Seems like most people get rejected so it would be great to know which Toyota dealers will sell to Canadians. Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)