Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2898 posts
588 upvotes
But if you bought a 1 year old Toyota or Lexus you'd actually still have warranty. Buy a Honda or Acura new or used and you're SOL.
tiron wrote: Not sure why you'd be singing the praises of Toyota (or presumably Lexus) since the US dealers generally won't sell new to Canadians. So, for all practical purposes, Toyota's no better than Honda/Acura.
Oct 30, 2006
93 posts
5 upvotes
Not sure if this is the right space to do this, but here it goes.

I am looking to partner up with an individual in Vancouver who has entensive knowledge about importing cars/trucks into B.C.

I would be the buyer, and assume the financial aspect (buying the vehicle, paying taxes etc), and we would then resell the vehicle for a profit. I would provide the money, and the partner would research the type of vehicle to buy and be responsible for selling the vehicle. I would split the net profit with 75% of the proceeds coming to me, and 25% of the profits going to the partner (as I am assuming the entire financial risk). If successful, we would rinse and repeat.

I have an office in Vancouver and would like to deal with someone locally. Let me know if this is of interest to anyone.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
2886 posts
389 upvotes
mangoman wrote: But if you bought a 1 year old Toyota or Lexus you'd actually still have warranty. Buy a Honda or Acura new or used and you're SOL.
+1

Also, Honda and Acura absolutely refuse to give you the recall letter, or get any recall work done. Toyota actually treats you like a customer. Nissan even fixed my US recall here in Canada.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2731 posts
1238 upvotes
[QUOTE]Originally Posted by killbillvol1
Also, Honda and Acura absolutely refuse to give you the recall letter, or get any recall work done. Toyota actually treats you like a customer. Nissan even fixed my US recall here in Canada. [/QUOTE]

Not sure you are correct about this. TSB's and recalls are required regardless where you bought the car. Honda is well aware of this and has serviced my imported Element twice for TSB's. I asked and they did the work. Both times no charge. And if you read way.... earlier in this thread I think you will find a similar discussion :) .
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2004
1339 posts
21 upvotes
Did anyone tried to send recall letter to RIV prior to importing the vehicle? How does it work? I will try to call them tomorrow morning.
Aug 20, 2007
13 posts
I imported a Toyota FJ back in Nov of 07 and got a great deal. With the dollar on the rise, I'm looking at an 06 Porsche 911.

Anyone have advise as to where to exchange the $50K into US $ for this? Going through the bank costs 2%. I remember someone mentioning XE.com but I'm not sure how that would work as they seem to deal with currency trading, not so much currency exchange.

cheers

Mike
Sep 17, 2003
702 posts
13 upvotes
maxillo wrote: I imported a Toyota FJ back in Nov of 07 and got a great deal. With the dollar on the rise, I'm looking at an 06 Porsche 911.

Anyone have advise as to where to exchange the $50K into US $ for this? Going through the bank costs 2%. I remember someone mentioning XE.com but I'm not sure how that would work as they seem to deal with currency trading, not so much currency exchange.

cheers

Mike
I used PeerFX since they had low fees. Since then I question their exchange rate that they use though... it's not updated very often.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2006
1704 posts
21 upvotes
Oakville
anyone with info on good places to look for 2006-2007 GMC savana 2500 or chevy express 2500 cargo vans, let me know plz. found a few places but any recommendations will be appreciated.

thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
2886 posts
389 upvotes
MMMM wrote: Not sure you are correct about this. TSB's and recalls are required regardless where you bought the car. Honda is well aware of this and has serviced my imported Element twice for TSB's. I asked and they did the work. Both times no charge. And if you read way.... earlier in this thread I think you will find a similar discussion :) .
I may have reached a bit, for which I apologise but I was under the impression that getting recall work done in Canada was something Honda was not friendly about.

That being said, I'm quite certain that Honda will not help Canadians get the recall letter (unless you feign being US, or coerce the dealer to get one for you).
May 25, 2009
307 posts
119 upvotes
killbillvol1 wrote: I may have reached a bit, for which I apologise but I was under the impression that getting recall work done in Canada was something Honda was not friendly about.

That being said, I'm quite certain that Honda will not help Canadians get the recall letter (unless you feign being US, or coerce the dealer to get one for you).
When I brought my Accord over last year RIV allowed use of a printout from Honda Ownerlink in place of a recall letter - easy to do..not sure if thats still followed...I also have had both a recall and TSB done no charge at a Honda dealer ...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5784 posts
1910 upvotes
iceage wrote: Fx35 looks good
The following may not apply to the FX, but based on the G37 coupe, it's not worth it to import right now. As the FX is also Infiniti, you should run all the numbers to make a fair comparison on how much you'll really save. The G37 coupe would be cheaper to buy in Canada currently by over $3,300 than to import from the US.

Infiniti Canada
$45,200 MSRP +
$1,825 Freight & PDE -
$5,000 Cash Purchase Credit =
$42,025 Total Before Taxes

Infiniti USA
$36,650 MSRP +
$3,200 Premium Package (Standard in Canada) +
$865 Destination & Handling =
$40,715 x
1.05 (what the bank will charge on a $0.97/$1.03 exchange rate) =
$42,750.75 +
6.1% Duty =
$45,358.55 Total Before Taxes
Dec 14, 2007
537 posts
341 upvotes
maxillo wrote: I imported a Toyota FJ back in Nov of 07 and got a great deal. With the dollar on the rise, I'm looking at an 06 Porsche 911.

cheers

Mike
I've been looking at the exchange rates over the last couple of weeks. The best rate I have found in through Vancouveer Bullion Exchange. You are required to send them a notarized copy of your passport if you can't come in person.

On $22,000 savings were almost $300 over banks and XE.com.

They will also wire miney for you at $25, my bank charges $30.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
2713 posts
98 upvotes
Has anyone experienced any problems bringing over a mazda?

Mazda 3 speed looks quite attractive at $24k USD base price in the US compared to $33k CAD base price here in canada.
May 23, 2007
62 posts
Toronto
goodzyk wrote: When I brought my Accord over last year RIV allowed use of a printout from Honda Ownerlink in place of a recall letter - easy to do..not sure if thats still followed...I also have had both a recall and TSB done no charge at a Honda dealer ...
Do you have any experience with getting work done under warranty, or they just plain don't honour it here?
My Lexus dealer welcome my imported RX350 with open arms for any type of works. The only catch is they don't provide courtesy vehicle for the day. Lexus USA provided recall letter within 10 mininutes of a call to their office. For that, I will even give Toyota/Lexus Canada my next purchase, providing that the price difference is not huge.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)