Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

  • Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer
 
112
33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper
 
149
44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!
 
61
18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same
 
6
2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!
 
7
2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2004
1179 posts
128 upvotes
Gromit wrote: Which means that even if you got a total lemon and end up having to pay $10,000 in repairs yourself, you're still ahead of the game.

The lack of a warranty is really a small consideration here.
Has anyone asked about buying extended warranty once you get it imported?
Jr. Member
Aug 10, 2003
124 posts
11 upvotes
After doing 100+ pages, I am definitely interested in buying a 2007 Subaru Legacy GT from the US. Anyone else in the same boat? We can get a group together and get some negotiation power.

Thanks for starting this thread and documenting your entire process.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2840 posts
725 upvotes
golden wrote: Sorry to ask as I forgot if I read it over this long thread or not, is the Legacy (non Outback version) also made in the States? I'm also interested in the Infiniti G35, but I think the saving won't be as much due to the 6.1% Duty
The savings are there...a few pages back, someone had a quoted an Infiniti G35x imported here with a savings of approximately 4-8 thousand after taxes and fees.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2002
1680 posts
2 upvotes
Has anyone at all been able to import a Lexus? Their selling UNDER invoice in the US.. so it's a real steal :D

We're talking about $8000 in savings on a $50000 car!!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2265 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver
eliteblaze wrote: Has anyone at all been able to import a Lexus? Their selling UNDER invoice in the US.. so it's a real steal :D

We're talking about $8000 in savings on a $50000 car!!!!
Lexus all made in Japan, so 6.1% duty cut the deal :lol:
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2265 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver
Check Acura website

The warranties in this booklet do not
cover:

Any vehicle while it is registered
or normally driven outside of the
United States, Puerto Rico, or the
U.S. Virgin Islands. :mad:
Sr. Member
Jan 10, 2007
757 posts
414 upvotes
Montreal
ecgz88 wrote: Lexus all made in Japan, so 6.1% duty cut the deal :lol:
Just to let everyone know not all Lexus are made in Japan.

The Lexus RX350 is assembled in Canada (check the VIN, it starts with 2)
There is at least a 15000 dollar discrepancy between the RX350 sold in Canada vs USA. A fully loaded RX350 goes for about 45000 US vs 70000 in Canada. Anyone interested ?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2002
1680 posts
2 upvotes
that's exactly what i'm looking at... If anyone knows a way to buy a lex in the states let me know
And right now you can get that fully loadedx 2007 rx350AWD (brand new) for 40gs
Newbie
Dec 28, 2006
43 posts
I'm interested... If anyone finds a dealer, can you please PM me?

thanks...
Sr. Member
Jan 10, 2007
757 posts
414 upvotes
Montreal
Consult edmunds.com - prices paid and buying experience subforum - lexus rx 350. You will be surprised at the prices !
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5708 posts
1769 upvotes
Ottawa
If you're looking for a dealer and you're serious about buying, start calling and emailing.

Here's a list (complete ?!?) of all the Lexus dealers by state:
http://car-dealers.automobile.com/Lexus/make-6/

From the forum, it looks like border states are sometimes harder than states a bit farther.
Sr. Member
Jan 10, 2007
757 posts
414 upvotes
Montreal
perfchris wrote: Consult edmunds.com - prices paid and buying experience subforum - lexus rx 350. You will be surprised at the prices !
Just went to edmunds.com, Wow ! people are getting full equipped RX350 AWD MSRP of 46000 for 40400. That car is in the 70s here. If anyone is interested please PM me as I am willing to help out, I have already gone through the experience of importing for a friend.

Cheers !
Member
User avatar
Oct 20, 2004
216 posts
13 upvotes
Kitchener
sonicDX wrote: EAST , including MD
Thats too bad that our friends in Maryland will no longer sell Toyotas to Canadians. Bought a Sienna from them in November and was the easiest car purchase that I had ever made. I know that they sold quite a few cars to Canadians so they can't be happy with the new directive from Toyota.

Guess if I wouldn't have been able to buy my Toyota in the U.S. I would have probably gone with a Subaru even though they don't make a minivan. But I would have definately still purchased my car from the U.S. There was no chance that I would have bought a car at these overinflated Canadian prices.

I'm very happy with my purchase and the $10000 that I saved feels much better in my pocket than in the pocket of the car company that is now number one in the world.


I've said it before and i'll say it again. Look south for big savings on your next car purchase. Do a bit of homework and save a pile of cash. I don't think that manufacturers/dealers in Canada will ever change their ways. They realize that only a few people will ever buy from the U.S. and that in the end they will be able to screw most of the people most of the time.
Member
User avatar
Oct 20, 2004
216 posts
13 upvotes
Kitchener
perfchris wrote: Just went to edmunds.com, Wow ! people are getting full equipped RX350 AWD MSRP of 46000 for 40400. That car is in the 70s here. If anyone is interested please PM me as I am willing to help out, I have already gone through the experience of importing for a friend.

Cheers !
Kind of ironic that a vehicle that is made about ten minutes away from where I live is over $20000+ cheaper if i go to the U.S. and buy it from a dealer there.

I think this is just more of Toyota Canada telling Canadian car buyers to bend over. :mad:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5708 posts
1769 upvotes
Ottawa
tzcnd wrote: Thats too bad that our friends in Maryland will no longer sell Toyotas to Canadians. Bought a Sienna from them in November and was the easiest car purchase that I had ever made. I know that they sold quite a few cars to Canadians so they can't be happy with the new directive from Toyota.

Guess if I wouldn't have been able to buy my Toyota in the U.S. I would have probably gone with a Subaru even though they don't make a minivan. But I would have definately still purchased my car from the U.S. There was no chance that I would have bought a car at these overinflated Canadian prices.

I'm very happy with my purchase and the $10000 that I saved feels much better in my pocket than in the pocket of the car company that is now number one in the world.

...
I think it's harder but if you look/call around, you can still find Toyota dealers that will sell to Canadians. In another forum, someone said he bought a Sienna in the US a few days ago.

Top