Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1374 posts
87 upvotes
Mississauga
rkrk wrote: I am looking for a camry hybrid with the B package (leather/heated seats, moon roof...).

I have received $1800 over invoice so far.

Please share the deals you got and dealer recommendations.

I am in Toronto, Ontario

If anybody had success buying a camry hybrid in the US (NY or NJ) please let me know the details.
You wont find any dealer in NY or NJ selling to Canadian. For price check Edmunds.com, or call costco car.
May 23, 2007
31 posts
is there any benefit crossing the border into the province you reside in? I live in alberta but I will save 300 miles of driving if I cross at North Portal, SK. I don't know if the import process is the same etc....

thx
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1374 posts
87 upvotes
Mississauga
wildone wrote: is there any benefit crossing the border into the province you reside in? I live in alberta but I will save 300 miles of driving if I cross at North Portal, SK. I don't know if the import process is the same etc....

thx
Import process is same, in Canada
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
151 upvotes
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070604/vehicle_ ... .html?.v=5
Hyundai Grabs Lead in Auto Quality Study
Monday June 4, 6:41 pm ET

Korea's Hyundai Leads in 5 Categories in the Annual Vehicle Quality Study

DETROIT (AP) -- When it comes to car quality, think Korean. Hyundai Motor Co. leads in five categories in the annual vehicle quality study released Monday by Strategic Vision Inc., a San Diego-based market research company and consultant to automakers.

Hyundai's rise in the rankings is only the latest sign of the improved overall quality and declining number of defects in today's cars and trucks, said David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor.

"They're coming together to a point where the differences are almost meaningless," Cole said.

He said that means buyers will pay increasing attention to dealer service, new technology, fashion features, price and fuel economy.

Once known best as the maker of cheap, entry-level cars with nagging manufacturing flaws, the South Korean automaker outperformed its Japanese, European and U.S. rivals in this year's survey, based on interviews with 27,780 people who bought 2007 models in September-November 2006.

Last year, Hyundai had no winners. And highly regarded Toyota Motor Corp., despite improving its overall quality, went from four leaders last year to one in 2007.

"Even though Hyundai is often overlooked by the U.S. customer, Hyundai's success in 2007 is not surprising given its current products and ... leadership that is looking to the near and distant future with new designs from styling to powertrain," said Darrel Edwards, Strategic Vision's chief executive.

Hyundai's Azera led among large cars, and its Santa Fe led among small sport utility vehicles. Its Entourage was tied for best minivan with the Quest by Nissan Motor Co. and the Sedona by Hyundai affiliate Kia Motors Corp.

The Kia Sorento led among medium SUVs, Strategic Vision said.

BMW AG led in three individual categories plus best overall brand, and Nissan, Ford Motor Co. and DaimlerChrysler AG led in three each.

Strategic Visions asks buyers to rate all aspects of their new vehicles, from the purchase itself to the ownership and driving experience.

What's new this year is not who's first or second, but rather how satisfied buyers are in general, said company President Alexander Edwards.

"Everybody's doing a terrific job -- that's the news," he said.

Based on a 1,000-point scale, the average new vehicle was rated 864, up from 861 in 2006 and 831 in 1998. As a result, he said, "cues of quality" rather than the number of defects "have a greater impact on the purchase decision."

Overall, Volkswagen AG had the highest corporate average, followed by Honda Motor Co., General Motors Corp., Toyota and Hyundai. Among brand names, BMW was followed by Infiniti, Mercedes Benz, Mini and Jaguar.

Strategic Vision Inc.: http://www.strategicvision.com
Air Canada Aeroplan Super Elite Reservations: 1-800-401-7201 or 514-369-7598
get unlimited calls or other discounts by calling directly to:
Fido Retentions: call 611 then push 7, then push 3 - or Rogers Retentions 1-514-734-7873 or 1-866-228-7109
Telus Mobility: 1-877-279-3100 or 416-279-3100 or 1 416 296 7669 client.loyalty@telus.com
Bell Mobility: 1-866-313-1086
nice chairs http://www.eternitymodern.ca
great value - lol http://www.walmart.ca
Jun 18, 2004
751 posts
126 upvotes
Richmond Hill
is it difficult to import a used car over?

what are the procedures i have to follow?
Jan 4, 2007
238 posts
26 upvotes
michelb wrote: Also lots of people (myself included) have cars that recommend premium but are driving with regular or mid-grade (I even asked my mechanic and he said if the check engine light doesn't come on, I'm fine).
I've never understood this.

Why did you pay the premium for a performance oriented car then not put the recommended fuel in?

All modern engines will compensate the timing for regular fuel and the car will run just fine. But the cost of changing the timing is lowered performance and lower fuel economy.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2861 posts
751 upvotes
hiphopforce wrote: is it difficult to import a used car over?

what are the procedures i have to follow?
Not difficult at all.

Click HERE

Then go HERE
Sep 22, 2005
686 posts
143 upvotes
BC
on impreza.

really want to pull the trigger on it.
Due to the strong cad, it's really a good deal.
Mar 15, 2005
211 posts
1 upvote
It's easy to get used cars over, just buy them from dealers though. Then you don't to go down to get the vehicle. You can have it shipped to Canada for $1700 US. Way better than driving it up. Take into consideration how many days it will take to drive up, the gas, food, hotels, and time. You're not saving much by driving yourself unless it is really close.

I bought my vehicle from Washington, sight unseen. I had it inspected by the Lexus dealership, it was a 2006 Lexus LX470 with 1700 miles on it. I had it shipped to my door step. Everything was cleared for me at the border by the customs broker. It was easy.
Jan 29, 2007
442 posts
17 upvotes
Analyst wrote: It's easy to get used cars over, just buy them from dealers though. Then you don't to go down to get the vehicle. You can have it shipped to Canada for $1700 US. Way better than driving it up. Take into consideration how many days it will take to drive up, the gas, food, hotels, and time. You're not saving much by driving yourself unless it is really close.

I bought my vehicle from Washington, sight unseen. I had it inspected by the Lexus dealership, it was a 2006 Lexus LX470 with 1700 miles on it. I had it shipped to my door step. Everything was cleared for me at the border by the customs broker. It was easy.
Really..that sounds like somethign I would do...
You think I could find a good deal on 2005 rx330?
Mar 5, 2003
336 posts
17 upvotes
Ottawa
scouzi wrote: I just wired them $500 less.
Might be a problem. Your dealer ends up paying the credit card company a percentage of that $500, and it cuts into their profit.

Mine was very insistent that we wire the full amount, and refund the $500.
Mar 15, 2005
211 posts
1 upvote
sphinxx wrote: Really..that sounds like somethign I would do...
You think I could find a good deal on 2005 rx330?
Keep an eye on Autotrader.com, I usually looked at the site every day or second day to get an idea of what was a good deal. If you find one, just have them take it to a Lexus dealer to have it inspected.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2861 posts
751 upvotes
iceage wrote: on impreza.

really want to pull the trigger on it.
Due to the strong cad, it's really a good deal.
Do it...you never know if/when these savings may come to an end. With the current CAD $ over 0.94 cents, what a deal.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
3253 posts
293 upvotes
Toronto
Well....now this thread has got me thinking.

If I were to import a non-NAFTA vehicle, I must pay 6.1% extra after taxes?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2861 posts
751 upvotes
LegiT wrote: Well....now this thread has got me thinking.

If I were to import a non-NAFTA vehicle, I must pay 6.1% extra after taxes?
FOR EXAMPLE:IIRC

Yes...the 6.1% is applicable.

6% GST, 8% PST on top of the 6.1% duty. Taxes on a top of a tax is always annoying.

So for a $20,000 car, we would pay 6.1% duty, bringing the price up to $21,220.

Then we pay GST/PST on $21,220, bringing the price up to $24190.80.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4691 posts
811 upvotes
SK
wildone wrote: So has anyone crossed at the SK/ND (Portal) border crossing?
I'm thinking of there too since I'm in Regina. I will not be ready to buy for another 6 months.
shopper-X
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
wildone wrote: So has anyone crossed at the SK/ND (Portal) border crossing?
If you're in Alberta, why on earth would you cross in SK? Coutts, Alberta is a designated port for car imports.

Where are you planning to buy a car?
May 23, 2007
31 posts
buying in Ohio and it would save me 400km of a drive by coming across in SK...
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4691 posts
811 upvotes
SK
wildone wrote: buying in Ohio and it would save me 400km of a drive by coming across in SK...
What are you buying?
Have you tried Grand Folks ND?
shopper-X