Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

  • Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer
 
112
33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper
 
149
44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!
 
61
18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same
 
6
2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!
 
7
2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Newbie
May 23, 2007
31 posts
haven't looked at grand forks. I'm buy 1) 2007 F150 King Ranch and 2) 2007 Expedition EL Limited.
Newbie
Nov 23, 2005
28 posts
Sorry guys, but I tried to go through a few pages and am pretty confused, so my simple question is if I am interested in getting a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer, will this work at all?

If it does, I will look into it more, but if it doesn't then I guess I'll just move on.

Once again, thanks to those that can just answer my quick question.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5865 posts
1921 upvotes
Ottawa
Ragged wrote: Sorry guys, but I tried to go through a few pages and am pretty confused, so my simple question is if I am interested in getting a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer, will this work at all?

If it does, I will look into it more, but if it doesn't then I guess I'll just move on.

Once again, thanks to those that can just answer my quick question.
2008 no, 2007 yes (except for Evolution)

If it's not on the admissible list at riv.ca, you can't import it. Since the 2007 is there, it's not unrealistic to think that the 2008 will be there eventually but as of today, you can't import it. From past observations, I think it takes a good 6 months after introduction for new model years to make it onto the list so you might be able to in the fall.
Newbie
Nov 23, 2005
28 posts
michelb wrote: 2008 no, 2007 yes (except for Evolution)

If it's not on the admissible list at riv.ca, you can't import it. Since the 2007 is there, it's not unrealistic to think that the 2008 will be there eventually but as of today, you can't import it. From past observations, I think it takes a good 6 months after introduction for new model years to make it onto the list so you might be able to in the fall.
Ya, I just checked the list...that sucks...but assuming it will make the list in the fall, what would be the ballpark saving I'm looking at?
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
2284 posts
47 upvotes
Kingston
HOLY F####. I just priced out the car I want in Canada and the U.S. $17,000 more in Canada. What the living hell?

Guess where I'm off to...
Sr. Member
Aug 26, 2004
771 posts
22 upvotes
GTA
scouzi wrote: There are supposed to be free-trade and anti-trust laws.
Silly person.
Free-trade laws were inacted in order to allow corporations to take advantage of globalization to screw the little guy.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
1569 posts
191 upvotes
crasher wrote: I am in middle of getting 3 new toyotas(1 Camry, 2 Siennas), and getting so many PMs. So I would mention it here. Only northern states are being instructed by Toyota Motors for not selling to Canadians. Southern states are still OK to sell. I know it is far, but stronger Cad $ makes it worth.
I am getting mine from NC
Just called Lewiston crossing their # is 716-282-1500 x 3. Fax for title is acceptable to them. Fax # is 716-285-3565. They are open from M-F, 8am-4pm
There is additional new tax for vehicles drinking more than 13L/100kms.


This sounds good to me! I asked NH dealers but they are prohibitted to sell new cars to Canadian too. Now I am going to ask RI and CT dealers :twisted:
Sr. Member
Dec 13, 2006
579 posts
263 upvotes
My dad just won a car on ebay.

Someone already did that?

What should he do first?

Is it simpler to go get it or ship it?

His english is really bad so me or my brother would need to go with him.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 1, 2003
6653 posts
334 upvotes
michelb wrote: If it's not on the admissible list at riv.ca, you can't import it. Since the 2007 is there, it's not unrealistic to think that the 2008 will be there eventually but as of today, you can't import it. From past observations, I think it takes a good 6 months after introduction for new model years to make it onto the list so you might be able to in the fall.
Usually cars will appear on the list, shortly after that years model is introduced in Canada. So when the Mitsubishi dealers here start having 2008 models in stock, then is the time to start checking RIV.
Banned
May 13, 2006
728 posts
belgiangenius wrote: HOLY F####. I just priced out the car I want in Canada and the U.S. $17,000 more in Canada. What the living hell?

Guess where I'm off to...
Can you give us more details?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 29, 2001
4799 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
DSTU wrote: Can you give us more details?
No need for details, purchasing a car in the US save you on average about 5K,

for 10K you have a steal and for anything above 20K well where do you want me to sign on the dotte line.
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Member
User avatar
Jun 4, 2007
287 posts
68 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Wow guys, I really read up on this thread and all the stuff people wrote. I wake up in the morning every day now and thank god I found out about this :D
The one thing this thread needs is a step by step process of the entire procedure or if not, the original creator to edit this post and say "CALL RIV AND THEY WILL EXPLAIN EVERYTHING TO YOU"

Anyways, I managed to convince my dad that its better to import. He is looking at purchasing 07 Altima or an 07 Camry or even an 07 Civic. I'll call up the RIV in the oncoming days and ask for more info.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2860 posts
751 upvotes
Yorker86 wrote: Wow guys, I really read up on this thread and all the stuff people wrote. I wake up in the morning every day now and thank god I found out about this :D
The one thing this thread needs is a step by step process of the entire procedure or if not, the original creator to edit this post and say "CALL RIV AND THEY WILL EXPLAIN EVERYTHING TO YOU"

Anyways, I managed to convince my dad that its better to import. He is looking at purchasing 07 Altima or an 07 Camry or even an 07 Civic. I'll call up the RIV in the oncoming days and ask for more info.
If you really read the thread thoroughly enough, a search would've helped you out. This thread has many links and others that have posted their step by step process.

Here it is again: LINKY
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 20, 2007
1432 posts
142 upvotes
Yorker86 wrote: Anyways, I managed to convince my dad that its better to import. He is looking at purchasing 07 Altima or an 07 Camry or even an 07 Civic. I'll call up the RIV in the oncoming days and ask for more info.
I thought Honda warranty doesn't work up here?
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1190 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal
bigbug wrote: So why Toyota/Nissan/Honda are still blocking us from buying in US? They paid the settlement and keep the policy? Someone familiar with law please explain.
The suit was about Toyota from prventing cars from flowing from Canada to the US. Now it's the opposite. In our case, somone in Canada would have to file suit.

But they are essentially still doing it. Car companies in Canada have the government in their pocket. You can expect the government to protcect "car jobs" and the companies rather than the consumer.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the government put more barriers to prevent imports.

Back to Toyota, the Toyota dealers in the US will become more and more vocal if more and more Candiadians consult them for a car purchase and they have to tell them no. They might sue Toyota themselves.

Media companies have the same scheme going with their regional coding on DVDs and video games.

In the meantime, take advantage of the bridge while you can.

I my case, I saved thousand of dollars. The dealers in Quebec have a lot to learn about selling cars. They are closed on saturdays and they remove all stickers from the windshields (which is illegal I believe) so you can't do any window shopping in their lot on saturdays . In the wintertime, the only way to see a car while it's not dark is to take time off. They act as if the internet doesn't even exist.

This was by far the easiest and pleasant purchase I ever made. The dealer gave me some extras I wasn't even aware of until I got there.
Newbie
Apr 4, 2006
81 posts
10 upvotes
Got a question, since I have family in the USA.

What if I got one of them to purchase a car for me, and then waited
two weeks, and then they sold it to me as a used car.

Would a Honda have warranty coverage in Canada?
Would there be more hassle at the border since it's "used"?
Any duties on used vehicles, versus a brand new one?

ers
Member
Feb 22, 2006
234 posts
7 upvotes
Has any one recently purchased a toyota product ( I am in the market for Sienna) maybe in southern states like Alabama (low sales tax) or NC?

Please post or pm me. Thank you.
Sr. Member
Nov 26, 2003
787 posts
159 upvotes
Halifax
HotDeal wrote: Has any one recently purchased a toyota product ( I am in the market for Sienna) maybe in southern states like Alabama (low sales tax) or NC?

Please post or pm me. Thank you.
You don't pay State tax, so it doesn't matter what state you buy it in.

Top