Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5708 posts
1768 upvotes
Ottawa
Monsieurmaggot wrote: This thread is approaching a quarter of a million reads.

Tack on 1800+ replies.

It's great to see how many people have actually purchased cars in the US.

Maybe we should start a list.

RFDers who I know bought in the US and are part of the RFD super savers club.

Monsieurmaggot - Subaru
Tuppin - ?
yyz2hkg - Subaru
Flaming_homer - Subaru

Anyone else want to add to the list?

Then there's the list started by xriddle indicating what cars have been confirmed as NAFTA vehicles:

Acura: RDX, MDX, TL, CSX,
Mazda: Mazda 6, Tribute
Honda: Accord, Civic, Pilot, CRV, Element
Toyota: Matrix, Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Tacoma, Sienna, Sequoia
Lexus: RX350 2006-07 RX330
Mercedes: R-class, ML
Mitsubishi: Galant, Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder, Raider, Endeavor
BMW: 2002-07 X5, Z4
Saab:9-7x
Subaru: Legacy, Outback, Tribeca
Suzuki: XL7
Hyundai: 2006+2007 Sonata, 2007 Santa Fe
Nissan: Altima, Armada, Titan
Probably one of the largest vehicles here :) - Tiffin Allegro Bay 37' motorhome for me.
Jan 10, 2007
752 posts
410 upvotes
Montreal
Some CR-Vs are made in the USA and some in Japan. Check autotrader.com and look up specific dealers near Ohio, they have 5J VINs which represents CR-Vs made in East Liberty, Ohio !
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Monsieurmaggot wrote: Here is the current list of successful RFD importers (part of the elite RFD super savers club):

Monsieurmaggot - Subaru 3.0R Outback LLBean
Tuppin - ?
yyz2hkg - Subaru
Flaming_homer - Subaru Tribeca
Tiffin - Allegro Bay 37' motorhome
Algrande - Subaru Outback XT

Anyone else want to add to the list? I'm sure there are more of you out there.

Then there's the list started by xriddle indicating what cars have been confirmed as NAFTA vehicles:

Acura: RDX, MDX, TL, CSX,
Mazda: Mazda 6, Tribute
Honda: Accord, Civic, Pilot, CRV, Element
Toyota: Matrix, Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Tacoma, Sienna, Sequoia
Lexus: RX350 2006-07 RX330
Mercedes: R-class, ML
Mitsubishi: Galant, Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder, Raider, Endeavor
BMW: 2002-07 X5, Z4
Saab:9-7x
Subaru: Legacy, Outback, Tribeca
Suzuki: XL7
Hyundai: 2006+2007 Sonata, 2007 Santa Fe
Nissan: Altima, Armada, Titan
This list gets bigger
Jan 4, 2007
396 posts
149 upvotes
Vancouver
shopper-X wrote: For those interested in Nissan or Infiniti's, I spoke with my service manager about importing one and having the warranty work done. He mentioned that anyone wanting one should read the warranty booklet first. The warranty transfer depends on Model and year. Nissan has been wierd about the wording from year to year, model to model.
I did not get in to details but, he mentioned the Murano and a customer that bought one and the warranty was not valid. However the Murano model year before that and the one after that one are.
I checked with my Nissan owner's forum and got these replies. the second reply below is from a member that works for a Nissan service dept.

"Nissan sent a memo to their dealers last year stating that Nissan Canada would not cover any warrenty issues on cars purcachsed in the US and brought into Canada. The cost of warrenty is built into the price of the car and it would be Nissan US collecting the $ not Nissan Canada. You would have to go across the boarder for any warrenty issues that may occur"

"^^ this is true, we stopped doing warrenty repairs on US vehicles. For them to receive warrenty worked covered by nissan it must be taken to the US. More or less on 350z's and there problematic 6spd tranny's."
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2004
1394 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
Without reading through the 120 pages of this forum i was hoping to ask if there is there a summary post that basically lists step-by-step the instructions required to go through with this type of purchase?

I see that there is a list as well of NAFTA cars floating around.
Is there also a summary list of all cars where the warranty will also be covered in Canada?

THE OP has posted the forms and paperwork link.

I'm hoping there's a link that basically lists what the best way to purchase this is. Basically a "timeline" and "checklist" of things to do and remember.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4674 posts
805 upvotes
SK
40Niner wrote: I checked with my Nissan owner's forum and got these replies. the second reply below is from a member that works for a Nissan service dept.

"Nissan sent a memo to their dealers last year stating that Nissan Canada would not cover any warrenty issues on cars purcachsed in the US and brought into Canada. The cost of warrenty is built into the price of the car and it would be Nissan US collecting the $ not Nissan Canada. You would have to go across the boarder for any warrenty issues that may occur"

"^^ this is true, we stopped doing warrenty repairs on US vehicles. For them to receive warrenty worked covered by nissan it must be taken to the US. More or less on 350z's and there problematic 6spd tranny's."
Wow, thats nuts.
shopper-X
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4674 posts
805 upvotes
SK
kid_icarus wrote: Without reading through the 120 pages of this forum i was hoping to ask if there is there a summary post that basically lists step-by-step the instructions required to go through with this type of purchase?

Is there also a summary list of all cars where the warranty will also be covered in Canada?

I'm hoping there's a link that basically lists what the best way to purchase this is. Basically a "timeline" and "checklist" of things to do and remember.
I saw a link on someones sig, forget who.
shopper-X
Oct 1, 2002
98 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
kid_icarus wrote: Without reading through the 120 pages of this forum i was hoping to ask if there is there a summary post that basically lists step-by-step the instructions required to go through with this type of purchase?

No one (that i have seen) has put together all the cars that have warranty and don't have warranty probably because it changes all the time and its always dependent on the dealer.

The official link for instructions on how to download is: www.riv.ca
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5708 posts
1768 upvotes
Ottawa
john_rt wrote: No one (that i have seen) has put together all the cars that have warranty and don't have warranty probably because it changes all the time and its always dependent on the dealer.

The official link for instructions on how to download is: www.riv.ca
Search the forum (might not have been in this thread though) as I believe someone had a descent list. Whatever you end up choosing, as suggested by the prior post, I would double check with the manufacturer and try to get something in writing as I believe this is something that can change (e.g there was rumors recently that Porsche would stop honoring warranties on US cars imported into Canada) (I think it's more a manufacturer issue than a dealer issue, although it's possible that dealers will force you to pay the repairs upfront and then get refunded by the US manufacturer).
Mar 21, 2007
19 posts
Has anyone bought a toyota camry from the US...Michigan dealers charge the canadian customers with the michigan sales tax. This is true for both new and used vehicles. I was wondering if other states had the same policies? Can anyone share their experience and post the dealership they bought their vehicle from. Anyone imported a Nissan lately?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4674 posts
805 upvotes
SK

I knew I saw it somewhere, check the signature of "canadianguy_001"
[url=http://www.importcartocanada.info/]Import Car To Canada!
shopper-X
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6365 posts
1001 upvotes
:mad: I was thinking of importing a G35.... no warranty breaks the deal.
May 10, 2005
900 posts
5 upvotes
Alberta
perfchris wrote: Some CR-Vs are made in the USA and some in Japan. Check autotrader.com and look up specific dealers near Ohio, they have 5J VINs which represents CR-Vs made in East Liberty, Ohio !
Only the first launch CRVs were made in Japan. Production for North American CRVs have fully moved to East Liberty since the fall of 06.
Jan 10, 2007
752 posts
410 upvotes
Montreal
Spud72 wrote: Only the first launch CRVs were made in Japan. Production for North American CRVs have fully moved to East Liberty since the fall of 06.
Some CR-Vs are still made in Japan. All the west coast dealers are getting them from Japan and east coast dealers, Ohio.

Canada is getting US made CR-Vs.

Soon they will switch to Mexico production.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4674 posts
805 upvotes
SK
perfchris wrote: Some CR-Vs are still made in Japan. All the west coast dealers are getting them from Japan and east coast dealers, Ohio.

Canada is getting US made CR-Vs.

Soon they will switch to Mexico production.
As per Forbes and ALG (Automotive Leasing Guide) the CR-V has the second best Resale value only behind the BMW 330Ci convertible and ahead of the Lexus GX SUV.
Forbes Link
If they change the production to Mexico, then the resale value will for sure drop.

You can also check Projected Residual Values as Cars.com (linked to ALG) http://www.cars.com/go/alg/index.jsp
shopper-X

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)