Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6354 posts
1013 upvotes
Toronto, ON
UTSC wrote: I am buying a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe and it it does NOT have a Day Time Running Light,

I asked the Hyundai Dealer in NY and he told me they don't install day time running light as it is not required in the US. Where do I get a day time running lights installed.
don't be silly, it doesn't have DRLs because it has projectors, I'm sure they're only halogens, but in anycase, just turn your FOGs on the whole day :) .
--
I like detailing cars!
Jul 10, 2007
2 posts
I want to buy Toyota Camry 2006 from Detroit. My insurance company ( TD Auto) told me that I am covered for any new vehicle purchased for 14 days on my existing policy.

My dealer in Detroit ask me copy of insurance paper reflecting VIN # , so that he can manage temporary permit for me to drive down to custom border.

Can any one guide me how
Dec 8, 2005
504 posts
16 upvotes
Ok a buddy of mine bought a car and we want to go pick it up in NY this weekend. The thing is that the title for teh car is not in the owners hands...The car was stored so when it came time to sell, he went to the DMV and they told him it would come in 14 business days. Problem is, we want to get the car ASAP, my buddy leaving for 3 weeks next week, so this weekend is our only option. He called up the RIV to ask what was needed to cross into Canada, and she said a bill of sale and an original title, and we wouldnt be allowed to cross back in without a title or else we would scam the fees, but were not planning on doing that, just getting across. Now the seller has offered that we take the car and drive it back home with his plates and insurance until he received the title, which would then overnight the title to me, and I would send him his plates back. What can we do?
Thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2001
1418 posts
940 upvotes
Vancouver
For those dealerships that have issues with selling to Canadians, would it be possible to sell the vehicle to a local US resident and then immediately transfer the title to the Canadian buyer? Or does it then become a "secondhand" vehicle and result in tax consequences?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
3247 posts
1807 upvotes
lins_canada wrote: Just got a email from a dealer in US, the Subaru dealerships no longer sell new car to Canadian buyer.
Edited...I'd like to know which Subie dealership also. When I was doing my research, I probably called almost all the dealerships within a 1000km radius around Toronto looking for the right subie dealer.
Dec 8, 2005
101 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I was at the Blaine truck xing border today and there was two new lexus convertables waiting to be exported. The plates were cali so I wonder if there are dealers down there that are willing to sell to us?? There also was a rig full of used vehicle too. I may need to get another vehicle down there since our cad$ is going up again...

Good luck to all who is actually trying to import a vehicle! It is so easy to import and look at all the money you save. The only downfall is that we are helping the US economy but then ours is doing quite well so we can afford to help them out. Globalization
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4799 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
TDGTA wrote: I want to buy Toyota Camry 2006 from Detroit. My insurance company ( TD Auto) told me that I am covered for any new vehicle purchased for 14 days on my existing policy.
Do you mean you get 14 days coverage on your existing vehicle?

How's that possible, don't you have to give your insurance company the VIN number, make and model of your 2006 Toyota Camry, before you can even get the coverage.

Let say you did get the coverage, however you will have a hard time convincing the dealership, Canadian custom and the licensing office of that.
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Jan 6, 2004
414 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
whampoa wrote: Do you mean you get 14 days coverage on your existing vehicle?

How's that possible, don't you have to give your insurance company the VIN number, make and model of your 2006 Toyota Camry, before you can even get the coverage.

Let say you did get the coverage, however you will have a hard time convincing the dealership, Canadian custom and the licensing office of that.
Canada Customs don't check insurance. The dealership will take a policy number written on paper, so will the MTO.
Jul 10, 2007
2 posts
spawnr wrote: Canada Customs don't check insurance. The dealership will take a policy number written on paper, so will the MTO.
so it menas you buy the car, fax / mail ownership paper to customs 72 Hrs before and drive down without worring for insurance.

what about temporary permit to drive down to customs?

under ontario automobile policy 2.2.1 Newly Acquired Automobiles it's mentioned that you are covered on any new automobile purchased for 14 days from date of purchase. ....
Dec 13, 2001
158 posts
Toronto
Hi All,

If my friend ( US Citizen ) purchase car from buffalo, he only need to pay buffalo tax. Since he is us citizen, he doesn't need to pay any tax or duty when he pass the US custom from State to Canada. When he sell the car to me by private in Toronto, I only need to pay 1 tax ( I forgot PST or GST ). So basically, I only pay unit price + 1 buffalo tax + 1 PST or GST ( Again, I forgot which one ), right?
Jun 26, 2007
59 posts
DarkCat wrote: Great thread; kinda nice to summarize the process.
Although the details are here somewhere (!), it'd be nice to have one
updated) summary in one place. Based on a summary in the mentioned
Globe/Mail article, I extracted the following summary (as per Henk Sluis).

If the pros could actually confirm all the steps are here, and if possible,
update it where required, it'll probably answer a lot of repetitive questions,
and cut down on the need to read 200 pages.

This process is based on importing to Ontario.

1. There is no duty if car is assembled in the USA.
Verify that the car is importable: www.riv.ca

2. Verify that the car has the required Canadian Safety Standards.
See http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/menu.htm

3. Check that warranty is valid in Canada.

4. Verify for a label stating that it meets all US Federal Standard.

5. Verify if state taxes are required.

6. Have the dealership fax a "Certificate of Origin" to US Customs (USC).
72 hours before your arrival at the border crossing.

7. Inspect the car - check dealer modification (e.g. block heater, etc.).

8. Obtain a letter from the manufacturer
stating this car (include VIN) does not have a Recall Pending.

9. Dealership provides a temporary plate sticker.

10. Call your insurance company and
provide the VIN number to arrange coverage.

11. At USC will verify that the VIN matches the doc,
this document must be presented at Canadian Customs.

12. At Canada Customs, present the
a) Bill of Sale,
b) Certificate of Origin and drivers license;
customs will verify that the VIN matches the doc.

13. You must pay the $206.70 at CC to Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV),
this covers the cost of inspection at Cdn Tire and Federal Registration.

14. Pay the GST at the Canada Customs.
There is a $100.00 charge if you have A/C.
They will provide a Form 1.

15. At home, fax the Recall Letter and file number to RIV;
they will then mail/email you a Inspection Form.

16. Go to Canadian Tire with your doc package.
Canadian Tire will provide Form 2.

17. A provincial safety maybe required even if its brand new.
This can be done at Cdn Tire or other certified station.
A Safety Standards Certificate will be provided.

18. Obtain proof of Insurance.

19. Go to Driver Licensing and take your Documentation package,
Pay the PST and registration fee.

20. RIV will send you a sticker to place on the car.
You're done.
Can someone please post a summary like this for BC? PLEASE
Mar 22, 2004
882 posts
105 upvotes
Ottawa
I've tried to search through this thread regarding financing but it's like way too long. LOL. So if I were to go down and buy the car, how would a CDN (me) go about financing a car down there? There must be a way unless most of you are paying in 1 lump sum? ;)

I agree, we need a page to summarize the process of importing car. This is very important information that can help you ease through this process.
Oct 1, 2002
101 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Re: Insurance
- If you give the insurance company the VIN # of the car you're going to buy, you can ask them to send you a fax of the insurance form so you have proof that you have insurance. If you do not do this and you get stopped by police, you will at the least get a fine for driving without insurance. TD Auto will insure your new car no problem but you have to tell them the VIN I believe before you just buy and drive.

Re: Financing
- Everyone I've heard about has purchased the car directly. (Lump sum payment.) There should be no way that an American company will give you a loan and Cdn. banks will not give you a loan to buy an american car (from what I've heard though I don't see why not). I just got a general purpose loan/line of credit that i bought my car with. Savings more than offset increased cost of financing.
Oct 1, 2002
101 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Bad Badger wrote: Can someone please post a summary like this for BC? PLEASE
Dude,
Its the same rules for BC...
The only difference might be the Provincial tax rate. Everything else is Cda. wide.
Oct 1, 2002
101 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
shin wrote: Hi All,

If my friend ( US Citizen ) purchase car from buffalo, he only need to pay buffalo tax. Since he is us citizen, he doesn't need to pay any tax or duty when he pass the US custom from State to Canada. When he sell the car to me by private in Toronto, I only need to pay 1 tax ( I forgot PST or GST ). So basically, I only pay unit price + 1 buffalo tax + 1 PST or GST ( Again, I forgot which one ), right?
I don't think thats right. First of all, if your friend is importing the car to Toronto, then he has to go through an exporting process (which I assume is similar to the importing process for us)..., and then register it in some province here first. I think it ATLEAST has to be a legal Cdn. car before he can sell it to you. So your friend (assuming that MTO would even let you) would have to pay PST here. Then after you buy it, would have to pay PST again.

Don't know for sure, just some logical guessing but good luck
Jun 26, 2007
59 posts
john_rt wrote: Dude,
Its the same rules for BC...
The only difference might be the Provincial tax rate. Everything else is Cda. wide.
Our insurance is actually quite different so it isn't the same.
Banned
May 13, 2006
728 posts
UTSC wrote: I am buying a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe and it it does NOT have a Day Time Running Light,

I asked the Hyundai Dealer in NY and he told me they don't install day time running light as it is not required in the US. Where do I get a day time running lights installed.
Google.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
3247 posts
1807 upvotes
cuto wrote: I've tried to search through this thread regarding financing but it's like way too long. LOL. So if I were to go down and buy the car, how would a CDN (me) go about financing a car down there? There must be a way unless most of you are paying in 1 lump sum? ;)

I agree, we need a page to summarize the process of importing car. This is very important information that can help you ease through this process.
This may help a bit.

LINKYPOO
Banned
May 13, 2006
728 posts
Vitulla wrote: Ok a buddy of mine bought a car and we want to go pick it up in NY this weekend. The thing is that the title for teh car is not in the owners hands...The car was stored so when it came time to sell, he went to the DMV and they told him it would come in 14 business days. Problem is, we want to get the car ASAP, my buddy leaving for 3 weeks next week, so this weekend is our only option. He called up the RIV to ask what was needed to cross into Canada, and she said a bill of sale and an original title, and we wouldnt be allowed to cross back in without a title or else we would scam the fees, but were not planning on doing that, just getting across. Now the seller has offered that we take the car and drive it back home with his plates and insurance until he received the title, which would then overnight the title to me, and I would send him his plates back. What can we do?
Thanks
US Customs will not let you export it without title. PERIOD!.
Banned
May 13, 2006
728 posts
Bad Badger wrote: Can someone please post a summary like this for BC? PLEASE
Its the same procedure, the only thing different is getting your plates from the provincial gov't and paying PST.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)