Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1363 posts
87 upvotes
Mississauga
jrvic wrote: This is what the US dealer told me. I think Lexus is trying to make thing harder to import new cars from the US for Canadians.
I am in middle of getting 3 new toyotas(1 Camry, 2 Siennas), and getting so many PMs. So I would mention it here. Only northern states are being instructed by Toyota Motors for not selling to Canadians. Southern states are still OK to sell. I know it is far, but stronger Cad $ makes it worth.
I am getting mine from NC
Just called Lewiston crossing their # is 716-282-1500 x 3. Fax for title is acceptable to them. Fax # is 716-285-3565. They are open from M-F, 8am-4pm
There is additional new tax for vehicles drinking more than 13L/100kms.
Sep 25, 2001
619 posts
132 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Has anyone brought a RV back from the states? I have been looking at a couple of RV sites for 5th wheels and it would appear I could save $8k+ going across the border. Has anyone used a RV dealer in the states, I live in BC so would prefer someone close in Washington or Oregon.
May 23, 2007
62 posts
Toronto
crasher wrote: I am in middle of getting 3 new toyotas(1 Camry, 2 Siennas), and getting so many PMs. So I would mention it here. Only northern states are being instructed by Toyota Motors for not selling to Canadians. Southern states are still OK to sell. I know it is far, but stronger Cad $ makes it worth.
I am getting mine from NC
Just called Lewiston crossing their # is 716-282-1500 x 3. Fax for title is acceptable to them. Fax # is 716-285-3565. They are open from M-F, 8am-4pm
There is additional new tax for vehicles drinking more than 13L/100kms.
Are you by any chance buying a Sienna XLE Ltd? If yes, please share some details. I am having second thought about the SUVs... I think the minivan is best for transporting baby and family.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5641 posts
1706 upvotes
Ottawa
Draug wrote: Are there any other vehicles that are duty free thanks to NAFTA?

Simply put, the requirement is that more than 50% of the vehicle has to be manufactured in North America. But, I searched the internet for quite some time and wasnt able to find a comprehensive list.

Does anyone have a list containing more vehicles than this?
This has been asked several times and the answer is trivial - NorthAmerican built vehicles have a VIN that starts with a number, Imports have a VIN that starts with a letter. Ask the dealer (or look for the same car on eBay) for the VIN - starts with a number -> duty free, starts with a letter -> 6.1% duty (the only catch is that some cars (e.g. Camrys) are available built in the US and in Japan so it depends on the actual one you get).
Gentile wrote: Does anyone know for sure if there is duty on motorcycles, regardless of where they were made?
Luckster wrote: No duty on motorcycles, regardless of where they are made. You can find this info on the Canada Custom site.
I was under the impression that pretty much ANYTHING you buy that is not made in North America (e.g. TV, appliances, clothes, etc) can be subject to duty so I'd double check this.

Thumper wrote: Has anyone brought a RV back from the states? I have been looking at a couple of RV sites for 5th wheels and it would appear I could save $8k+ going across the border. Has anyone used a RV dealer in the states, I live in BC so would prefer someone close in Washington or Oregon.
I bought a used motorhome in the States (AZ (90 day temp permit or non-residents!!!) and it was pretty trivial. You still have to do the RIV registration for trailers (or motorhomes) but there's not a whole lot to do (I just needed DRLs (I just hard-wired the driving lights to go on when the ignition was on but the guy at CT never checked it anyway). A small hassle with motorhomes is that the chassis and RV manufacturer are usually 2 companies (e.g. GMC or Ford or whatever chassis plus actual RV builder) so you have to get Recall Clearance letters from each.
Jul 28, 2002
611 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know if I can buy a Harley in Buffalo/Detroit and save major $$$????

Any harley would be a part of Nafta right?
99% of the stuff I own comes from RFD!
Aug 15, 2006
550 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal
I am looking for a camry hybrid with the B package (leather/heated seats, moon roof...).

I have received $1800 over invoice so far.

Please share the deals you got and dealer recommendations.

I am in Toronto, Ontario

If anybody had success buying a camry hybrid in the US (NY or NJ) please let me know the details.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3000 posts
1502 upvotes
GTA
scouzi wrote: You can pretty much take any Tribeca and reduce the price by $6k. I chose a dealer closest to me rather than the best deal.
When I went to pick up my Forester, I complained to my dealer that I would not want the Turbo version as it requires Premium gas, he said that's the exact reason why the 2007 Tribeca is selling so slowly. The 2008 Tribeca (just announced) uses regular gas, and he expect the sale to pick up.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1174 posts
168 upvotes
Montreal
flaming homer wrote: When I went to pick up my Forester, I complained to my dealer that I would not want the Turbo version as it requires Premium gas, he said that's the exact reason why the 2007 Tribeca is selling so slowly. The 2008 Tribeca (just announced) uses regular gas, and he expect the sale to pick up.

The 2007 Tribeca does not "require" premium gas. The specs are with premium gas but it is not required. You will lose some horsies and mileage (in the city) if you use regular. There is no warranty issue if you don't.

Nobody's certain why the Tribeca didn't sell but the new one looks kinda generic if you ask me. The previous model was polarizing but I decided to go for a 2007 when I saw the 2008!

The Murano is selling well and uses premium gas. My opinion is that Subaru did not market it right.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5641 posts
1706 upvotes
Ottawa
flaming homer wrote: When I went to pick up my Forester, I complained to my dealer that I would not want the Turbo version as it requires Premium gas, he said that's the exact reason why the 2007 Tribeca is selling so slowly. The 2008 Tribeca (just announced) uses regular gas, and he expect the sale to pick up.
scouzi wrote: The 2007 Tribeca does not "require" premium gas. The specs are with premium gas but it is not required. You will lose some horsies and mileage (in the city) if you use regular. There is no warranty issue if you don't.

Nobody's certain why the Tribeca didn't sell but the new one looks kinda generic if you ask me. The previous model was polarizing but I decided to go for a 2007 when I saw the 2008!

The Murano is selling well and uses premium gas. My opinion is that Subaru did not market it right.
I agree with scouzi, lots of cars require premium and lots are cars are selling well (if nothing else the Outback XT and WRX sell well). Also lots of people (myself included) have cars that recommend premium but are driving with regular or mid-grade (I even asked my mechanic and he said if the check engine light doesn't come on, I'm fine).

For whatever reason, a lot of people were turned off by the Tribeca (I have to admit that I'd buy a minivan before buying a Tribeca if I wanted the 7 seats and if I wanted the 5, I'd get an Outback instead).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5641 posts
1706 upvotes
Ottawa
scouzi wrote: The 2007 Tribeca does not "require" premium gas. The specs are with premium gas but it is not required. You will lose some horsies and mileage (in the city) if you use regular. There is no warranty issue if you don't.

I agree with scouzi, lots of cars require premium and lots are cars are selling well (if nothing else the Outback XT and WRX sell well). Also lots of people (myself included) have cars that recommend premium but are driving with regular or mid-grade (I even asked my mechanic and he said if the check engine light doesn't come on, I'm fine).

For whatever reason, a lot of people were turned off by the Tribeca (I have to admit that I'd buy a minivan before buying a Tribeca if I wanted the 7 seats and if I wanted the 5, I'd get an Outback instead although those prices are starting to tempt me !!!).
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1363 posts
87 upvotes
Mississauga
rkrk wrote: I am looking for a camry hybrid with the B package (leather/heated seats, moon roof...).

I have received $1800 over invoice so far.

Please share the deals you got and dealer recommendations.

I am in Toronto, Ontario

If anybody had success buying a camry hybrid in the US (NY or NJ) please let me know the details.
You wont find any dealer in NY or NJ selling to Canadian. For price check Edmunds.com, or call costco car.
May 23, 2007
31 posts
is there any benefit crossing the border into the province you reside in? I live in alberta but I will save 300 miles of driving if I cross at North Portal, SK. I don't know if the import process is the same etc....

thx
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1363 posts
87 upvotes
Mississauga
wildone wrote: is there any benefit crossing the border into the province you reside in? I live in alberta but I will save 300 miles of driving if I cross at North Portal, SK. I don't know if the import process is the same etc....

thx
Import process is same, in Canada
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
151 upvotes
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070604/vehicle_ ... .html?.v=5
Hyundai Grabs Lead in Auto Quality Study
Monday June 4, 6:41 pm ET

Korea's Hyundai Leads in 5 Categories in the Annual Vehicle Quality Study

DETROIT (AP) -- When it comes to car quality, think Korean. Hyundai Motor Co. leads in five categories in the annual vehicle quality study released Monday by Strategic Vision Inc., a San Diego-based market research company and consultant to automakers.

Hyundai's rise in the rankings is only the latest sign of the improved overall quality and declining number of defects in today's cars and trucks, said David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor.

"They're coming together to a point where the differences are almost meaningless," Cole said.

He said that means buyers will pay increasing attention to dealer service, new technology, fashion features, price and fuel economy.

Once known best as the maker of cheap, entry-level cars with nagging manufacturing flaws, the South Korean automaker outperformed its Japanese, European and U.S. rivals in this year's survey, based on interviews with 27,780 people who bought 2007 models in September-November 2006.

Last year, Hyundai had no winners. And highly regarded Toyota Motor Corp., despite improving its overall quality, went from four leaders last year to one in 2007.

"Even though Hyundai is often overlooked by the U.S. customer, Hyundai's success in 2007 is not surprising given its current products and ... leadership that is looking to the near and distant future with new designs from styling to powertrain," said Darrel Edwards, Strategic Vision's chief executive.

Hyundai's Azera led among large cars, and its Santa Fe led among small sport utility vehicles. Its Entourage was tied for best minivan with the Quest by Nissan Motor Co. and the Sedona by Hyundai affiliate Kia Motors Corp.

The Kia Sorento led among medium SUVs, Strategic Vision said.

BMW AG led in three individual categories plus best overall brand, and Nissan, Ford Motor Co. and DaimlerChrysler AG led in three each.

Strategic Visions asks buyers to rate all aspects of their new vehicles, from the purchase itself to the ownership and driving experience.

What's new this year is not who's first or second, but rather how satisfied buyers are in general, said company President Alexander Edwards.

"Everybody's doing a terrific job -- that's the news," he said.

Based on a 1,000-point scale, the average new vehicle was rated 864, up from 861 in 2006 and 831 in 1998. As a result, he said, "cues of quality" rather than the number of defects "have a greater impact on the purchase decision."

Overall, Volkswagen AG had the highest corporate average, followed by Honda Motor Co., General Motors Corp., Toyota and Hyundai. Among brand names, BMW was followed by Infiniti, Mercedes Benz, Mini and Jaguar.

Strategic Vision Inc.: http://www.strategicvision.com
Air Canada Aeroplan Super Elite Reservations: 1-800-401-7201 or 514-369-7598
get unlimited calls or other discounts by calling directly to:
Fido Retentions: call 611 then push 7, then push 3 - or Rogers Retentions 1-514-734-7873 or 1-866-228-7109
Telus Mobility: 1-877-279-3100 or 416-279-3100 or 1 416 296 7669 client.loyalty@telus.com
Bell Mobility: 1-866-313-1086
nice chairs http://www.eternitymodern.ca
great value - lol http://www.walmart.ca
Jun 18, 2004
744 posts
125 upvotes
Richmond Hill
is it difficult to import a used car over?

what are the procedures i have to follow?