Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5618 posts
1690 upvotes
Ottawa
pJohannson wrote: Makes sense, thanks. Will search further, never been great at RFD searching.
On the NY - from what I can see typically dealers would give the temp plates or ex-owners help with that (there's form to obtain transit pemits, but it doesn't say anything about out of country case)
I am on hold with NY DMV for second hour already, already got some help here faster :-D
Let us know if you what you found out about NY State temp / in-transit permit.

In case anyone is interested, I did confirm that to get a FL temp permit, you MUST pay FL tax.
Apr 5, 2018
32 posts
7 upvotes
michelb wrote: Let us know if you what you found out about NY State temp / in-transit permit.

In case anyone is interested, I did confirm that to get a FL temp permit, you MUST pay FL tax.
So far I've found that MI dealer will give temp plate without issues ( also considering MI due to proximity)
For NY - another dealer in Buffalo area said they will give me temp plates and surely no sales tax, but both were phone conversations. I may go there next week, but there's good chance that I'll buy the car in Canada :)
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1464 posts
795 upvotes
Interesting thread

A temporary plate can be obtained to drive vehicle for limited time

ON rules state 10 days while waiting checks ($15)
https://www.ontario.ca/page/temporary-l ... te-sticker

NY allows 30 days for temporary permit to leave NY state (interstate permit) ($12.50) <- since valid 30 days I think better deal than the ON one
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/how-get ... istrations

But in either case I would assume most dealers are willing to do this at time of sale (unless you bought a used car private)

You then need temporary insurance, notify US border 72 hours before leaving, Recall Clearance (from manufacturer to RIV), Canada border vehicle import form (plus our lovely taxes of course), complete modifications (odo, DRLs are most common) within 45 days and the RIV Inspection Form to get licensed
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 13GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming
May 29, 2017
396 posts
161 upvotes
Canada
New to the thread, I thought that we can only buy used or marked as used vehicles from USA...to import into Canada....as dealers are not willing to sell to Canadians due to restrictions imposed by the manufacturers.....

What vehicles are cheaper today given the 30% exchange rate difference?
Feb 27, 2017
92 posts
58 upvotes
Winnipeg
I apologize if the information I am looking for is already in this massive thread but i could not find it. My situation is as follows

My Sister who lives in the US wants to gift me her old car. The car is already in Canada right now, she drove it here then the car developed some issue so she left it here and flew back, I got the car fixed later. She bought a new car and does not need this one anymore so is letting me have it for free. Now my questions are:

1. Once she has received the ITN number and faxed the title to the Border crossing ,and after waiting a minimum of 3 business days (72 hours), can she fly in and drive the car across the border back into USA and then just turn around and come back to the border again or is there some sort of minimum duration that she would have to wait ?

2. How will the title transfer take place as the car would be in her name when imported into Canada and she does not have a Canadian driver's license nor insurance here, so will it be possible to then get the title transferred over to me ? or Do I need to have the title in my name before the vehicle is imported into Canada ?

I would be most grateful for any and all help in this matter. Thank you
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4286 posts
946 upvotes
Are there still deals wit the exchange ? I`m looking for a 2 to 3 year old Pilot .
Still serving a 90 day suspension from " off topic "and "politics "May 21,2020.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5618 posts
1690 upvotes
Ottawa
krazykh wrote: I apologize if the information I am looking for is already in this massive thread but i could not find it. My situation is as follows

My Sister who lives in the US wants to gift me her old car. The car is already in Canada right now, she drove it here then the car developed some issue so she left it here and flew back, I got the car fixed later. She bought a new car and does not need this one anymore so is letting me have it for free. Now my questions are:

1. Once she has received the ITN number and faxed the title to the Border crossing ,and after waiting a minimum of 3 business days (72 hours), can she fly in and drive the car across the border back into USA and then just turn around and come back to the border again or is there some sort of minimum duration that she would have to wait ?

2. How will the title transfer take place as the car would be in her name when imported into Canada and she does not have a Canadian driver's license nor insurance here, so will it be possible to then get the title transferred over to me ? or Do I need to have the title in my name before the vehicle is imported into Canada ?

I would be most grateful for any and all help in this matter. Thank you
1. I would contact the POE she will cross at to confirm as ultimately, it's the Border Agent's opinion that matters but I've driven a car from Canada into the US specifically for what you've described without waiting and returned to Canada immediately.
2. Either way works but it's probably easier if she transfers the car into your name (signs the title over) before she imports it and it should be imported in your name. Whoever's name it's imported in will have to pay Canadian taxes on it. She should confirm this with the US POE before as well but I don't believe this is a problem for them except she should probably have a letter from you authorizing her to export and import the vehicle in your name (if it was me, I'd go and meet her there but that might depend on the distance to the border. She can also do it in her name but that will be more of a pain because if it's imported in her name, she has to register it (again this applies to Ontario, not sure about other provinces) in her name before she transfers it to you (once it's imported in her name, then she can gift tax free). This will require her getting Canadian insurance, may require a DL from that province which could be problematic (I'm not sure if any / all Provinces require a license from that Province to register a vehicle).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5618 posts
1690 upvotes
Ottawa
pfbmgd wrote: Are there still deals wit the exchange ? I`m looking for a 2 to 3 year old Pilot .
The exchange definitely hurts but it ultimately depends on the price you find the car at. Note that an "in-warranty" Honda might not be the best choice for Canadian import because you'll be paying a premium for a car that still has a warranty which will get voided as soon as you register it in Canada.

I'm sure there are some cars that are cheaper in Canada and there are some cars that are cheaper in the US even after the exchange. There is also the condition of the car to keep in mind; it's most will agree that cars from the Southern US will have a lot less rust than Canadian cars)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Hard to believe this thread is 14 years old. Over the years, I got emails from 100s of Canadians who successfully imported cars from the US. I still own the car I imported and it runs like new. Sadly, I still occasionally find my free import instructions copied and posted on other sites that charge for the information. With the Canadian dollar in the dumper and Subaru getting bad press over the years, it’s no longer financially beneficial to buy new Subarus in the US. I’m currently pricing new cars and for the most part, the savings aren’t there anymore. You can still find great deals on some used cars in the US. The import rules for used cars are much simpler. My website is still up but admittedly the information might no longer be applicable.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
1905 posts
742 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Monsieurmaggot wrote: Hard to believe this thread is 14 years old. Over the years, I got emails from 100s of Canadians who successfully imported cars from the US. I still own the car I imported and it runs like new. Sadly, I still occasionally find my free import instructions copied and posted on other sites that charge for the information. With the Canadian dollar in the dumper and Subaru getting bad press over the years, it’s no longer financially beneficial to buy new Subarus in the US. I’m currently pricing new cars and for the most part, the savings aren’t there anymore. You can still find great deals on some used cars in the US. The import rules for used cars are much simpler. My website is still up but admittedly the information might no longer be applicable.
Oh wow! Welcome back OP! I first read your post years ago when I was looking, but never followed through with the import. Your info was really handy and I'm glad you were able to help many people. Initially I was looking to import a Porsche.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Thanks so much. Once Ryan left (one of the founders) and RFD was sold, the new owners quickly forgot my contributions and started putting restrictions on what I was able to post. Some insiders told me Canadian car manufacturers might have had a part in it. I simply stopped posting under my OP moniker and moved on. I would stop by from time to time. The thread was edited but it remains largely intact. I still have the thousands of emails I received thanking me for the thread. The highlight was when I appeared on CTV National News and CP24 with my story. The finance minister at the time was compelled to comment on why there was price inequity in Canada. Those prices have since stabilized and I’d like to think it was in part thanks to the negative publicity that National TV exposure could bring.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8094 posts
4602 upvotes
Kootenays
The new Venza we bought in 2010 by following your advice remains one of our best RFD deals over the years. We saved $10,000. Thanks OP!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5618 posts
1690 upvotes
Ottawa
michelb wrote: Just an FYI, RIV has quietly increased the fee to $295 + tax as of Jan 1 2017. Not a huge deal but still an extra cost on what was already a money grab ...

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/cn-a ... 0-eng.html
Not sure if it's been posted in the thread but I just noticed that the RIV fee is now $310 + tax (as of August 1st 2018 so it's been like that for a while).

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... 6-eng.html
Sep 7, 2009
240 posts
34 upvotes
michelb wrote: Not sure if it's been posted in the thread but I just noticed that the RIV fee is now $310 + tax (as of August 1st 2018 so it's been like that for a while).

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... 6-eng.html
I completely agree with this fee increase.

The lower Canadian dollar for the past decade must have massively reduced their workload. The only solution is to charge more, much more.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)