Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

May 26, 2011
806 posts
596 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote: Those prices have since stabilized and I’d like to think it was in part thanks to the negative publicity that National TV exposure could bring.
I haven't compared car prices lately, but around mid 2010's, I've noticed many cars/motorcycles were cheaper here than US. Another example is the cheapest items at Dollarama/Dollartree Canada has been CAD1.25 for about a decade now, so as Dollartree USA has been USD1. There are countless other examples like Starbucks, McDonald's, etc, I wouldn't say the prices have 'stabilized', we, consumers don't make noises when the way things are happening in our favor. I'm pretty sure things get cheaper in USA when the loonie gets strong again.
Freedom mobile, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Checkout 51, Drop, Stack, TransferWise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM, Simplii and Tangerine customer.
Sep 7, 2009
240 posts
34 upvotes
maverikbc wrote: I haven't compared car prices lately, but around mid 2010's, I've noticed many cars/motorcycles were cheaper here than US. ...
I was wondering about this since I hadn't looked either, and you might be right.

I just did a super-quick check on something which I think is pretty standardized, the Ford F150. Looking at the least expensive XL trim, it seems to have identical features on ford.ca and ford.com. (Sometimes there are trim differences, but the list seems identical AFAIK.)

Canadian MSRP: 30,339 (CAD)
US MSRP: 28,745 (USD)
US MSRP converted at today's spot rate (1.35): 38,926 (CAD)

Seems like massively better for us, unless I'm missing something.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5633 posts
1705 upvotes
Ottawa
Certainly the CAD$ is not great to buy in the US at the moment but you really have to look at individual cases and you can't even just look at MSRP as you really have to look at the actual "out-the-door" price (e.g. in the US, as far as I can tell, dealers typically sell at invoice where as in Canada, dealers typically sell at MSRP (although maybe not the big 3)).
Sep 7, 2009
240 posts
34 upvotes
michelb wrote: Certainly the CAD$ is not great to buy in the US at the moment but you really have to look at individual cases and you can't even just look at MSRP as you really have to look at the actual "out-the-door" price (e.g. in the US, as far as I can tell, dealers typically sell at invoice where as in Canada, dealers typically sell at MSRP (although maybe not the big 3)).
Agreed - lots of other factors to consider, just a quick check starting with MSRP. The exchange rate is the key issue.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1861 posts
609 upvotes
GTA
Probably American coming up here, if they could, to get some deals.
Dec 8, 2006
177 posts
11 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote: Thanks so much. Once Ryan left (one of the founders) and RFD was sold, the new owners quickly forgot my contributions and started putting restrictions on what I was able to post. Some insiders told me Canadian car manufacturers might have had a part in it. I simply stopped posting under my OP moniker and moved on. I would stop by from time to time. The thread was edited but it remains largely intact. I still have the thousands of emails I received thanking me for the thread. The highlight was when I appeared on CTV National News and CP24 with my story. The finance minister at the time was compelled to comment on why there was price inequity in Canada. Those prices have since stabilized and I’d like to think it was in part thanks to the negative publicity that National TV exposure could bring.
I want to thank you for your work in helping me and many others save money and also force the manufacturers to stop (well....at least minimize) the great disparity between US and Canadian car prices. I went to a Subaru dealership in October 2007 and was dismayed at the price. I then went online and found your postings. I bought my car in the US in November 2007 - at an exchange rate of 1.03 US dollars to one Cdn dollar to boot - and saved $17k in the process.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)