Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Aug 17, 2005
129 posts
70 upvotes
Vancouver
hfx_chris wrote: ... basically she's saying at the moment you can't import ANY 2008 Toyota? In the next paragraph, she's saying Toyota has to send TC their testing documentation before they can add their 2008 models to the list... so when would that happen? Shouldn't that information already have been sent? When would Toyota send it... so we can start buying 2008's? Do we need to prod Toyota?
As has been mentioned in this thread many times Toyota is very actively disinterested in having their US vehicles exported to Canada.

I wouldn't be holding my breath on that documentation being rushed to Transport Canada.
Apr 22, 2006
28 posts
Finally found a Toyota dealership that would sell to me and talked him down to $32,200 US. Has anyone else been able to get a better price than this?
Aug 13, 2006
981 posts
184 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi everyone,

This is the analysis I've been doing for a 2007 MDX with Tech Package:

For Comparison:
- MDX With Tech Package
- Assume need to finance 40K @ 48 months

Purchasing in Canada
- MSRP (with freight) less 3000 = 55400
- GST / PST = 7202
- Interest @ 3.9% = 3265
TOTAL = 65867

Purchasing in the US
- Invoice + 1000 = 40500
- Currency Exchange (1.08) = 3200
- Replacement Warranty = 3200 (SecureDrive quote)
- Importing Fees & Stuff = 400
- GST / PST = 6154
- Interest @ Prime 6.25 = 5311
TOTAL = 58905

Difference = Approx $7,000

Is there anything I missed in or is wrong with this analysis?
Dec 27, 2006
777 posts
194 upvotes
I was just down on the weekend looking at vehicles. I am going to buy a used Honda and a New Toyota, the prices are just crazy down there, For the same price of 1 toyota up here I can buy 2 vehicles down there. Any help from those who have already purchased down south would be apprecitaed. Things to do ? Tips ? etc Thanks
Jan 1, 2007
28 posts
1 upvote
[quote="crank71" post_id="5375048" time="1185205793" user_id="78545"]I searched this post but couldn't find any mention of the new gas guzzler tax that the feds are now placing on vehicles with fuel consumption greater than 13L/100Km. It looks like it only applies to vehicles with in service dates after March 2007.
I'm bringing in a 2006 Tribeca next week, and it would have fallen into this tax scenario due to its listed 13.2L/100Km...but since it's in service is prior to March 2007, it is exempt...thankfully.
This tax could be a deal killer for someone looking at a full size SUV or something else with terrible gas mileage...

Here is the summary

"Automobiles that have a weighted average fuel consumption rating of 13 or more litres per 100 kilometres
will be subject to the excise tax at the following rates:
Jan 10, 2007
152 posts
28 upvotes
thanks Monsieurmaggot

I just ordered a brand new Harvest Gold Metallic 2008 Subaru Outback 3.0R LLbean edition, without the GPS. We did not want GPS.

I shopped Van Bortel, West Herr, Shutlz, and Northtown. No one would touch Van Bortel's current web price, which is $500 below invoice. I think when Monsieur purchased his 2007, there was some dealer cash to move the remaining 2007 models. Was also told that many of the 2007 models were scrapped due to industrial damage that occured next to the manufacturer lot where those cars were stored.

No matter, as I personally prefer the 2008 grille, my short wife likes the telescopic wheel, and finally - in 2008, the front map lights come on when you open the door in sunroof equipped models - so the interior is properly lit at night :) I also ordered factory installed accessories of remote car starter, trailer hitch and wiring harness, homelink mirror upgrade, rubber floor mats, and side cargo nets.

In Canada, the closest equivalent model is the 3.0 Premier Edition, which has all the same equipment as the 3.0 R LLbean USA version, except that in Canada, the GPS comes standard, whereas in the USA, it is the only option, invoice priced at $1846 or so. We did not want GPS, so we did not order it.

In Canada the 3.0R Premier edition Outback lists for $47,500 including freight. There are no cash incentives in Canada. Compared to purchasing the 3.0R model in Canada at list price, together with our chosen accessories, after converting currency, paying all fees, freight, and the usual Canadian taxes (PST/GST), we will have saved a grand total of $CDN 19,000 ! Wow !

Car should be ready to pick up in about 10 days. :cheesygri
Apr 24, 2006
924 posts
3 upvotes
Eco rebate isn't valid, but gas guzzler levy is? :|
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
out of curiosity i looked up the price of a camry le v6 and after adding the numbers i think the difference is roughly $5k between here and NY. holy @#$. anyone know of an importer who will do it all for us for a few hundred bucks?

better yet, is there a list of car manufacturers who have transferable warranties? i think i read in the paper last week that honda doesn't recognize US imports.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
3122 posts
909 upvotes
North Vancouver
Fx45 wrote: Hi everyone,

This is the analysis I've been doing for a 2007 MDX with Tech Package:

For Comparison:
- MDX With Tech Package
- Assume need to finance 40K @ 48 months

Purchasing in Canada
- MSRP (with freight) less 3000 = 55400
- GST / PST = 7202
- Interest @ 3.9% = 3265
TOTAL = 65867

Purchasing in the US
- Invoice + 1000 = 40500
- Currency Exchange (1.08) = 3200
- Replacement Warranty = 3200 (SecureDrive quote)
- Importing Fees & Stuff = 400
- GST / PST = 6154
- Interest @ Prime 6.25 = 5311
TOTAL = 58905

Difference = Approx $7,000

Is there anything I missed in or is wrong with this analysis?
How do you get that SecureDrive Drive? I assume all third party warranty will not be able to kick in since original warranty is void by manufacturer. :lol:

I know in BC if you buy 55K or more car, PST is 10% :confused:
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1475 posts
181 upvotes
Mississauga
jhardy wrote: Eco rebate isn't valid, but gas guzzler levy is? :|
I was thinking the same, The cars are same I think new car dealers lobby had a word in setting this policy. Is there ombudsman we can complain. I am thinking of buying a camry hybrid,
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1301 posts
357 upvotes
Montreal
jhardy wrote: Eco rebate isn't valid, but gas guzzler levy is? :|
I was thinking the same thing the other day. How can they justify the levy and not give the credit when it is the same program. The car will stil be driven in Canada and will either pollute or pollute less IN Canada.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1301 posts
357 upvotes
Montreal
crasher wrote: I was thinking the same, The cars are same I think new car dealers lobby had a word in setting this policy. Is there ombudsman we can complain. I am thinking of buying a camry hybrid,
You could probably get it in small claims court. If it's not written anywhere, they have to give it to you.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1475 posts
181 upvotes
Mississauga
scouzi wrote: You could probably get it in small claims court. If it's not written anywhere, they have to give it to you.
It is metioned on their website that ecoauto rebate is not valid for cars imported from US :mad: And as scouzi mentioned it is the same agency that levy green tax. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1991 posts
67 upvotes
GTA
filing a class-action lawsuit against the government agency. the chance for winning is high. It shouldn't be difficult to find a lawyer who would like to dig into this issue as most lawyers are keen on new ideas (or leads) that might make them rich.
crasher wrote: It is metioned on their website that ecoauto rebate is not valid for cars imported from US :mad: And as scouzi mentioned it is the same agency that levy green tax. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Apr 2, 2007
69 posts
"Hi, guys

I need some help from u guys, I'am in Ottawa and I'am planing to buy a SUV can somebody help me which SUV should I buy and from where if any good dealer u guys had experience with them , Yes I'am still on process to read all threads but advance thanks for your early response.

Thanks guys"

hey guys,

can somebody tell me good dealer close to ottawa.????????

Advanced Thanks ;)
Dec 14, 2006
22 posts
oasis221 wrote: Finally found a Toyota dealership that would sell to me and talked him down to $32,200 US. Has anyone else been able to get a better price than this?
I'd say that's a good price. I bought a 2006 XLE with the same option package last Oct and paid $31,000 US. With the current exchange rate, you will pay a lot less than I did, plus you'll get the 3.5L engine and rear parking assist. Given the fact that finding Toyota dealers who are willing to sell to Canadians seems to be getting much harder, I wouldn't fool around trying to save a few hundred more. Good luck!
Aug 13, 2006
981 posts
184 upvotes
Vancouver
ecgz88 wrote: How do you get that SecureDrive Drive? I assume all third party warranty will not be able to kick in since original warranty is void by manufacturer. :lol:

I talked to the guy at SecureWarranty and basically the way to go is to treat it as a pre-owned vehicle - this way we don't need a manufacturer's warranty (and the price is different). I got the $3200 from an actual dealer.
ecgz88 wrote: I know in BC if you buy 55K or more car, PST is 10% :confused:
Yes - I guess I can assume we could work something with my trade-in to get it below the 55K mark. I definitely will refuse to pay the luxury tax on this car. :mad:
Jun 4, 2007
484 posts
401 upvotes
Rural Alberta
Are my calculations for the Yaris S correct??

Yaris S $12 025us = $12 483.8cdn

Destination fee $660us = 685.2cdn
A/C Fee = $100cdn
GST 6% = $721.5cdn
PST 8% = $962cdn
Import Fee = $206.7cdn
Canadian Tire Inspection = $250cdn
Total = $15 409.2cdn

Total cost of yaris in Canada = $21 434.60cdn
Total cost if yaris bought in US = $15 409.2cdn

Savings = 6 025.4 (roughly)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4676 upvotes
Ottawa
Yorker86 wrote: Are my calculations for the Yaris S correct??

Yaris S $12 025us = $12 483.8cdn

Destination fee $660us = 685.2cdn
A/C Fee = $100cdn
GST 6% = $721.5cdn
PST 8% = $962cdn
Import Fee = $206.7cdn
Canadian Tire Inspection = $250cdn
Total = $15 409.2cdn

Total cost of yaris in Canada = $21 434.60cdn
Total cost if yaris bought in US = $15 409.2cdn

Savings = 6 025.4 (roughly)
Calcs are mostly ok although I'm not sure where you'll get that good of an exchange rate (most banks will probably charge you around $13750CND for $12700US).

As far as I can tell, the Yaris is built in Japan so you'll have to pay 6.1% duty on it as well however there is no Canadian Tire Inspection fee (it's part of the import fee). Also you are not including travel costs which could be significant especially since it looks like to find a Toyota dealer that will sell to you, you'll probably need to go pretty far from the border.

Also where did you get that price? Toyota.com prices the Yaris S at $16530 incl freight.
Mar 5, 2003
347 posts
18 upvotes
Ottawa
hfx_chris wrote: Aside from not telling me anything I didn't already see on the list... basically she's saying at the moment you can't import ANY 2008 Toyota? In the next paragraph, she's saying Toyota has to send TC their testing documentation before they can add their 2008 models to the list... so when would that happen? Shouldn't that information already have been sent? When would Toyota send it... so we can start buying 2008's? Do we need to prod Toyota?
Heh. I bet they found a loophole, if they don't send in their test data, no one can buy a US model and import it. Even if they eventually have to pay a fine for not sending it in, they're still ahead of the game.
harria5 wrote: I'd say that's a good price. I bought a 2006 XLE with the same option package last Oct and paid $31,000 US.
Really? Mine was $29,010 US all in, including temporary tag etc. Same month, too.

Doesn't surprise me that dealers are inflating their prices by a few thousand when we desperate Canucks come down, because most of us have nowhere else to go when we finally find a dealer who will sell to us.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)