Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1590 posts
91 upvotes
Maple
CCT2 wrote: If my US friend buys a new car and registers it under his/her name in US and then I buy this car from him/she some time after, do I need pay Ontario PST (8%) when I register it in Ontario?
Yes, no different from buying a used car in Canada. When you register for your Ontario plates, you pay the PST.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1708 posts
334 upvotes
spdztr wrote: Yes, no different from buying a used car in Canada. When you register for your Ontario plates, you pay the PST.
what if his friend sell a new G37 to him for 100CAD??
lol
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
okano wrote: what if his friend sell a new G37 to him for 100CAD??
lol
They could give you the car for free.

You will pay PST and GST based on book value anyway.

The only way around this is to get into the grey area relating to family sales.

The government stopped the $1 sale loophole years ago.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1578 posts
55 upvotes
Scarborough
could you please tell us more info on your santa fe model
and how much you paid and saved.
thanks..
spdztr wrote:Just got back from Buffalo with our brand new Santa Fe.

Guys, if any of you are procrastinating for any reason, let me tell you, this was simpler than buying a new car at your local dealership. The process is laid out very nicely in the other thread already so I won't get into it. Follow the steps, and you'll have no problems.

Here was my day:
8:30am Leave TO
10:00am Lewiston border (~20 min wait)
11:15am Arrive at Towne Hyundai, test drive, chit chat, paperwork, more chit chat
12:30pm Depart Towne Hyundai
1:00pm Lunch @ Appleby's.... mmmmm :cheesygri
1:40pm Arrive US Customs
1:41pm Depart US Customs (yes, it did only take one minute. She didn't even look at the car, just stamped the title certificate after finding our paperwork.)
1:43pm Arrive Canadian border - 2 minute wait at the border
1:45pm Arrive Canadian Customs - filled out Form 1, paid GST (exchange rate at 1.0568 - even better than what I exchanged money at yesterday (1.0591)) and RIV fee, and we were on our way back!
1:50 Depart Canadian Customs!
4:00pm Home!

It really was THAT easy.

I got home, emailed the recall clearance to RIV, and I'm waiting for Form 2 now. Hopefully they'll send it today so I can get the certification done tomorrow.

Total savings on the car is about $6000, but I haven't added everything up yet because I've yet to pay PST. I'll update once it's done.

Here's our new baby:
[IMG]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1320/122 ... e1f125.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1257/122 ... ce9775.jpg[/IMG]
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
I was renewing my car's registration this morning at St Clair and McCowan area. I saw a 2008 Subara Tribeca with Van Bortel Subaru plate frame parked outside. I saw the lady owner and I asked her how the process went at the border. She said it was so easy! Hearing it from personally from a person physically standing in front of me somehow made me lose the butterflies. :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
vr6man25 wrote: could you please tell us more info on your santa fe model
thanks..
cool....very nice...which other thread is he talking about? the santa fe car post above?

1 more month before I go and buy my Suby in NY :) Can't wait
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
and one of my neighbors just got a 2006 Honda Accord with NY Temp license plate in his driveway :) need to ask him Q's and find out if it was RFD effect :)
Jul 26, 2007
82 posts
I've recently heard that the U.S. warranty on vehicles imported into Canada carries the warranty in miles not kilometers. If that is true,then a 3yr. 60,000 km. basic warranty becomes 3yr. 60,000 "mile"basic warranty. If you do a lot of driving,thats a whole bunch of extra distance you can drive in that 3 years. If my math is correct, 60,000 km.x0.6= 36,000 miles. Subtract that from 60,000 miles, that equals 24,000 bonus driving miles in the first 3 yrs.Take that on top of the price savings, wow. :D Can anyone confirm this or is it just wishful thinking?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
Just wishful thinking. :) A vehicle sold with a 3yr/60000km warranty in Canada would have a 3yr/36000mi warranty when sold in the US. 36k miles = 57.9k km....so you actually lose a couple thousand kilometers.
Jul 26, 2007
82 posts
Oh Well, at least you still save a bunch of $$$$. :) BTW,we went for a test drive at a Maritime Subaru Dealership yesterday, took out a 2008 Tribeca. Nice vehicle but we found it to have some hesitation when you gun it to enter the main highway from an on ramp. Was that just us or is that a characteristic of the Boxer engine? Other than that, we found everything else to be first class. The engine hesitation is not a big deal, just something to get used to. It may not do that if you use the manual mode in the transmission. We didn't use the manual aspect because my wife was driving at the time and dosen't care for manual.Back at the Dealership,I asked the Salesperson and the Business/Sales Manager where the Tribeca fit in with reference to the Cdn. Gov't. gas guzzler levy. They couldn't tell us. They couldn't even tell what the Tribeca's average fuel consumption per 100 km. was.They didn't even appear to know about the Rebates or when the Levy kicked in. Hmmm, kinda makes one wonder about the folks a this dealership.> :(
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
tico 1948 wrote: I've recently heard that the U.S. warranty on vehicles imported into Canada carries the warranty in miles not kilometers. If that is true,then a 3yr. 60,000 km. basic warranty becomes 3yr. 60,000 "mile"basic warranty. If you do a lot of driving,thats a whole bunch of extra distance you can drive in that 3 years. If my math is correct, 60,000 km.x0.6= 36,000 miles. Subtract that from 60,000 miles, that equals 24,000 bonus driving miles in the first 3 yrs.Take that on top of the price savings, wow. :D Can anyone confirm this or is it just wishful thinking?
I've been asking about this specifically, and although I like your optimism, I highly doubt Toyota Canada would give you any extra miles for importing a vehicle from the States.. the US warranty is 3 yrs/36,000 miles which equates to 3 yrs/57936.384 kilometres.. so more or less the same (you actually lose 2063.616 kilometres!).

I would like to know for those who have imported Toyota's, did you purchase an extended warranty? Is the US extended care plan (ECP) valid up here?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1708 posts
334 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote: They could give you the car for free.

You will pay PST and GST based on book value anyway.

The only way around this is to get into the grey area relating to family sales.

The government stopped the $1 sale loophole years ago.
so let's say you bought a car in the states for 20k USD
and if the same car is selling at 35kCAD, which taxes value do you pay?
and what if that model is not available in canada?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1590 posts
91 upvotes
Maple
vr6man25 wrote: could you please tell us more info on your santa fe model
thanks..
I got the AWD Limited, with the Premium package. I got it for 800 below invoice ($26,300 OTD).

TorontoEh wrote: cool....very nice...which other thread is he talking about? the santa fe car post above?
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=477998

Some other questions I got via PM that I thought I'd answer here to help others:
1. Could you just drive off the lot after making the payment, or did you book ahead etc and they had the car ready all prepped up?
I was in touch with the salesrep via email, and told her in advance when we'd be coming down. When we got there, the car was prepped and ready to go. She even let us go for a test-drive first to ensure everything was alright. After that, it was a bunch of paperwork, and then we were off.

2. Plates - what plated u used to drive to border
Dealer provides temporary NY "in-transit" plates, which are good for 30 days (even in Ontario).

3. Insurance - how did you arrange insurance
The dealer provides the VIN number ahead of time, which you provide to your insurance company. They emailed me a temporary insurance slip, which I forwarded to the salesrep. No problems at all there. In fact, the '07 Santa Fe is cheaper to insure than my '98 Pathfinder!! The rep was very appreciative of the fact that I provided all the information up front (i.e. importing from the US, etc) - I even sent him a link to this thread - and as long as their system accepted the VIN number, there shouldn't be a problem.

4. What do you estimate you saved
I haven't done the math yet since I have yet to pay the PST portion and the cost to wire for the DRL (hopefully minimal). I estimate $6000-$7000 in savings.
Dec 27, 2006
777 posts
194 upvotes
For those of you that purchased this vehicle, can you pm me some info on it ? Price paid to your canadian driveway, after all costs. Also how do you find the vehicle. Looking to pick one up this week. Thanks
Apr 18, 2005
274 posts
23 upvotes
Surrey
Has anyone gone through the process of asking an Amerifriend to purchase it first and then transfer ownership? How does the sales tax go, if he already paid sales tax, then will I have to pay it again? Also, is it OK to just do a name transfer or does it actually have to be a "sale"? Also wondering how does insurance work, does the Amerifriend have to buy insurance? Thanks.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
The friend would pay the state+local tax in the US, and you would have to pay GST when you cross the border and PST when you register it in your province. You would both need to get temporary state permits. I'm guessing you could avoid having him buy insurance if the "sale" to you is done in the parking lot of the dealership, so that it never goes on the road under his ownership.
Jun 28, 2007
126 posts
13 upvotes
I bought a 100K (miles) 6 yr Platinum Extended Care Plan with my Sienna XLE this past May. It's good in US & Canada. Zero deductible, and covers EVERYTHING except the usual wear/tear. It lists at $1500 and I paid $940. You can find a lot about Sienna ECPs over on SiennaClub.org. Some people report paying as low as $750.

Since the Sienna comes with 3 yr/36K (miles), and we put about 18K (miles) on per year, this ECP gives us 4 yrs/64K extra coverage. With all the electronics and power equipment on the XLE, it provides us with 'peace of mind' for a known cost. While I was picking up our Sienna, I heard a customer complain about a $875 charge to repair a power side door. One major problem will pay for the extended warranty. And if we never use it, that's still fine.
chadw01 wrote: I would like to know for those who have imported Toyota's, did you purchase an extended warranty? Is the US extended care plan (ECP) valid up here?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
spdztr wrote: I got the AWD Limited, with the Premium package. I got it for 800 below invoice ($26,300 OTD).

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=477998

Some other questions I got via PM that I thought I'd answer here to help others:
1. Could you just drive off the lot after making the payment, or did you book ahead etc and they had the car ready all prepped up?
I was in touch with the salesrep via email, and told her in advance when we'd be coming down. When we got there, the car was prepped and ready to go. She even let us go for a test-drive first to ensure everything was alright. After that, it was a bunch of paperwork, and then we were off.

2. Plates - what plated u used to drive to border
Dealer provides temporary NY "in-transit" plates, which are good for 30 days (even in Ontario).

3. Insurance - how did you arrange insurance
The dealer provides the VIN number ahead of time, which you provide to your insurance company. They emailed me a temporary insurance slip, which I forwarded to the salesrep. No problems at all there. In fact, the '07 Santa Fe is cheaper to insure than my '98 Pathfinder!! The rep was very appreciative of the fact that I provided all the information up front (i.e. importing from the US, etc) - I even sent him a link to this thread - and as long as their system accepted the VIN number, there shouldn't be a problem.

4. What do you estimate you saved
I haven't done the math yet since I have yet to pay the PST portion and the cost to wire for the DRL (hopefully minimal). I estimate $6000-$7000 in savings.
Wow...thanks buddy, didnt even know there was a nice thread like this

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)