Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1549 posts
50 upvotes
ON
I've seen yesterday a new Sonata with Oklahoma 60-day temp plate in Kitchener, ON... it doesn't seem you're right...

[QUOTE]2. If you're purchasing a new vehicle, the dealer will usually provide you with a Temp Plate. You must have a Temp Plate for every STATE that you go through. If used, you need a TEMP Plate for every State you pass through.[/QUOTE]
May 22, 2007
53 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
teep wrote: Teep, have you contacted Zach at Eastside Subaru? He'll be able to help you out and provide you with the service you expect. Good luck with your Subie purchase!
Aug 26, 2007
50 posts
Ok - thanks - contacted that one now - other dealer has died I think.
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
Monsieurmaggot, add me to ever-growing list of RFD members who have successfully bought and imported a car here in Canada!!!

I came back this morning from my 9-day long vacation in Frederick, MD and Alexandria, VA area. Not only did I picked up my car at Herb Gordon Nissan in Silver Spring, MD, but I also got to drive my car in and around the DC area especially in the picturesque George Washington Parkway!! What a way to enjoy my car's first drive. I came back today having put 820 miles already, 400 short of the break-in period. Before I left for Maryland, I arranged for the dealership to have a Maryland temporary tag, certificate of title. The recall clearance letter was drafted when I went there.

Here was my purchasing experience which may not have proceeded as pleasantly as I would liked it to be. We arrived in Frederick, MD on Sunday afternoon (Aug 26) to relatives I haven't seen in a long time. That's also a bonus on this trip. I got to see 5 families/relatives I haven't seen in almost 20 years.

Anyway Aug 27, we went to the dealer with the bank draft. It was endorsed the same day. I was confident before I left TO that the draft clearing won't be a hassle since I was assured by my friend who worked at TD Bank that it won't be a problem as long as the dealer's bank asked for a draft fax verification tha the funds are good and clear. Little did I know that Wells Fargo would be a factor in the draft's clearing period. In short, I wasn't able to pick up my car on Aug 27 or 28 as I have expected but on Aug 31!!! I had to wait for 5 days for the bank draft to clear! The dealership was gracious though in giving me a loaner so I can returned my rental car and won't incur more expenses. I was loaned a 2006 Altima 2.5S that I drove around DC from Aug 28-30.

The following is my vehicle export process experience at Lewiston-Queenston Bridge Crossing.

9:05am : Arrived at the US Customs Vehicle Export office. Customs guy who felt like not working that morning took my certificate of title and asked which date it was faxed. Not sure what date the dealership faxed it so I said either Aug 27, 28 or 29. He gave all 3 date files and looked for myself. I found it on the Aug 28 file. Five minutes later, after my certificate of title was red-stamped and hole-punched with date, petite US Customs lady went out with me and physically matched VIN on dash and compliance label on door jam with the original title. We were sent off to Canada after she spent 20 seconds matching everything. Some guy was waiting outside for his brand new Porsche Carrera to be checked as well!!!!! Time between arriving inside office to actual verification was wasted on chit-chat between all three US Customs personnel. It was about some co-worker's attitude!!

9:35am : Stopped at Canada Customs crossing and declared to Customs lady that I am importing car I'm driving. She asked how much I paid and was actually interested in how I got the best deal. She even said they are cheaper down there. After asking about car's price, she asked if we had anymore to declare. I declared $200 worth of personal effects. Afterwards, I was sent off to Canada Customs office to pay RIV and GST.

9:45am : Filled out Form 1. US purchase price was converted to CAD value using 1.0564 exchange rate. Paid GST and Excise taxes. Waived RIV payment choice and chose to pay at RIV office myself.

11:22am : Arrived at RIV office at 405 The West Mall. Form 1, title and recall clearance letter were checked and returned. Paid $206.70 via debit card. Seated for about 5 mins; used their phone to call my dearly beloved! :cheesygri

11:30am : Form 2 was given and left RIV office. Headed home to rest since I drove all night from Maryland.

So there ya go for you folks still doubting if you can do it!!!!

So when is our get-together?! Summer weather is disappearing fast! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4799 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Diigii,

Congrats, and welcome to the ever growing exclusive super saver club.

I see you manage to spent up to nine days in MD and Virginia area. How did you ever manage to stay for so long?

I spend about four days in Alexandria, driving my imported Subaru Outback. And let me tell you, I'm bored to death.

Nothing really to see except for the museums, capitol hill and monuments.

The only good parts is the driving back and spent a day tax-free shopping at Grove City, PA.

Leesburg Corner, VA doesn't do it for me, I heard Potomac Mills, VA is way better for outlet shopping in the DC and Alexandria areas.
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Dec 8, 2005
504 posts
16 upvotes
any luck passing the us customs with just 48 hour notice?
Jun 24, 2007
138 posts
Congrats diigii! monsiuer.. have you ever tried adding up all the money you've saved RFD'rs??? bet it tops $1million ;)
teep.. pm'd you.
Dec 8, 2002
971 posts
219 upvotes
diigii wrote: Monsieurmaggot, add me to ever-growing list of RFD members who have successfully bought and imported a car here in Canada!!!

I came back this morning from my 9-day long vacation in Frederick, MD and Alexandria, VA area. Not only did I picked up my car at Herb Gordon Nissan in Silver Spring, MD, but I also got to drive my car in and around the DC area especially in the picturesque George Washington Parkway!! What a way to enjoy my car's first drive. I came back today having put 820 miles already, 400 short of the break-in period. Before I left for Maryland, I arranged for the dealership to have a Maryland temporary tag, certificate of title. The recall clearance letter was drafted when I went there.

Here was my purchasing experience which may not have proceeded as pleasantly as I would liked it to be. We arrived in Frederick, MD on Sunday afternoon (Aug 26) to relatives I haven't seen in a long time. That's also a bonus on this trip. I got to see 5 families/relatives I haven't seen in almost 20 years.

Anyway Aug 27, we went to the dealer with the bank draft. It was endorsed the same day. I was confident before I left TO that the draft clearing won't be a hassle since I was assured by my friend who worked at TD Bank that it won't be a problem as long as the dealer's bank asked for a draft fax verification tha the funds are good and clear. Little did I know that Wells Fargo would be a factor in the draft's clearing period. In short, I wasn't able to pick up my car on Aug 27 or 28 as I have expected but on Aug 31!!! I had to wait for 5 days for the bank draft to clear! The dealership was gracious though in giving me a loaner so I can returned my rental car and won't incur more expenses. I was loaned a 2006 Altima 2.5S that I drove around DC from Aug 28-30.

The following is my vehicle export process experience at Lewiston-Queenston Bridge Crossing.

9:05am : Arrived at the US Customs Vehicle Export office. Customs guy who felt like not working that morning took my certificate of title and asked which date it was faxed. Not sure what date the dealership faxed it so I said either Aug 27, 28 or 29. He gave all 3 date files and looked for myself. I found it on the Aug 28 file. Five minutes later, after my certificate of title was red-stamped and hole-punched with date, petite US Customs lady went out with me and physically matched VIN on dash and compliance label on door jam with the original title. We were sent off to Canada after she spent 20 seconds matching everything. Some guy was waiting outside for his brand new Porsche Carrera to be checked as well!!!!! Time between arriving inside office to actual verification was wasted on chit-chat between all three US Customs personnel. It was about some co-worker's attitude!!

9:35am : Stopped at Canada Customs crossing and declared to Customs lady that I am importing car I'm driving. She asked how much I paid and was actually interested in how I got the best deal. She even said they are cheaper down there. After asking about car's price, she asked if we had anymore to declare. I declared $200 worth of personal effects. Afterwards, I was sent off to Canada Customs office to pay RIV and GST.

9:45am : Filled out Form 1. US purchase price was converted to CAD value using 1.0564 exchange rate. Paid GST and Excise taxes. Waived RIV payment choice and chose to pay at RIV office myself.

11:22am : Arrived at RIV office at 405 The West Mall. Form 1, title and recall clearance letter were checked and returned. Paid $206.70 via debit card. Seated for about 5 mins; used their phone to call my dearly beloved! :cheesygri

11:30am : Form 2 was given and left RIV office. Headed home to rest since I drove all night from Maryland.

So there ya go for you folks still doubting if you can do it!!!!

So when is our get-together?! Summer weather is disappearing fast! :cheesygri

Congrats on your purchase! Can I ask which car you ended up purchasing? Thanks :)
May 22, 2007
53 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
teep wrote: Ok - thanks - contacted that one now - other dealer has died I think.
Good Teep, that's what happened to me too. So that's why I called Zach for my Subie purchase. Good luck!
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2840 posts
474 upvotes
North York
A job well done. I too was in Md during that time and couldnt get a Toyota dealer to sell to me - guess I should go for an Altima.

Can you please give me an idea of price and how cooperative was the dealer and whom did you specifically deal with. I out of frustration almost picked an Subaru Outback - as that dealer was cooperative but my wife did not like the vehicle. I returned tonite (Sept 4) alas empty handed - but can go again - love to see my grandson again

What do you estimate the savings?

TIA

Bob
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
whampoa wrote: Diigii,

Congrats, and welcome to the ever growing exclusive super saver club.

I see you manage to spent up to nine days in MD and Virginia area. How did you ever manage to stay for so long?

I spend about four days in Alexandria, driving my imported Subaru Outback. And let me tell you, I'm bored to death.

Nothing really to see except for the museums, capitol hill and monuments.

The only good parts is the driving back and spent a day tax-free shopping at Grove City, PA.

Leesburg Corner, VA doesn't do it for me, I heard Potomac Mills, VA is way better for outlet shopping in the DC and Alexandria areas.
Hahaha!!!! I have a lot of relatives from my mom's side in Maryland and Virginia so the 9 days I've spent there is not only visiting museums and memorials. It was food, getting re-acquianted with relatives I haven't seen in almost 20 yrs and more food. I think I've gained about 5 lbs from all those blue crabs and shrimps we ate. This was my first time to visit the U.S. Holocaust Memorial too. Yeah, I love going to Grove City, PA. I see that you went a bit out of the way to get back to TO. I usually take this route: I-83, US Hwy 15, I-390, I-90 when going to DC.
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
151 upvotes
i dont understand - how can you gain weight eating a lot of shrimp?
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
sheriffabc wrote: A job well done. I too was in Md during that time and couldnt get a Toyota dealer to sell to me - guess I should go for an Altima.

Can you please give me an idea of price and how cooperative was the dealer and whom did you specifically deal with. I out of frustration almost picked an Subaru Outback - as that dealer was cooperative but my wife did not like the vehicle. I returned tonite (Sept 4) alas empty handed - but can go again - love to see my grandson again

What do you estimate the savings?

TIA

Bob
I figured I saved about CAD$10,000. I still have to tally everything to get the real cost. I just got back yesterday and still tired. No mood to crunch numbers yet.
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
fulrach wrote: Congrats on your purchase! Can I ask which car you ended up purchasing? Thanks :)
Thanks!!! It's a 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE. Good luck finding the same car loaded with the Sport Package that US-spec cars come with here from Canadian dealers at CAD$25,554 here in Canada! I was tempted to drop by a Scarborough-area dealer just to piss them off but I backed off. :cheesygri
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
st7860 wrote: i dont understand - how can you gain weight eating a lot of shrimp?
I should've added the other foods we had and should've said how high my cholesterol is right now. When you eat rice, baked potatoes, bread, roasted pork, bbq pork, more rice, and more Filipino specialty noodle dishes. And no exercise because you're busy telling stories with relatives. Then you have beers too! Don't you think you'll gain with all that food and no exercise? :cheesygri
Feb 17, 2004
760 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Quick question...

My father plans to import a car and all the paperwork will be under his name.

Is it possible for me, his son, to drive the car from the USA into Canada on his behalf? All the paperwork is under my father's name...I will be the one driving the car to the border. Does anyone know if this is OK? I have not found anything that states the rules on who can actually import the car.
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
eastsidesubaru wrote: Congrats diigii! monsiuer.. have you ever tried adding up all the money you've saved RFD'rs??? bet it tops $1million ;)
teep.. pm'd you.
Thanks! I saw a lot of newly-bought Subarus there. Actually, the dealer I bought my car from also owns a Subaru franchise. They're a rich family operating other franchises: Nissan, Subaru, Ford, Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, Saturn
Oct 2, 2002
195 posts
4 upvotes
diigii wrote: Thanks!!! It's a 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE. Good luck finding the same car loaded with the Sport Package that US-spec cars come with here from Canadian dealers at CAD$25,554 here in Canada! I was tempted to drop by a Scarborough-area dealer just to piss them off but I backed off. :cheesygri
Good job Diigii, that's the car I was thinking of importing as well. It is either this or the Altima Hybrid.

Once you have some dealing with ON dealer with regarding to warranty services, can you please let us know if the warranty is honoured in Canada? There are many conflicting reports about Nissan/Warranty and this is the only issue stopping me from importing.

tia,
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
overboost wrote: Quick question...

My father plans to import a car and all the paperwork will be under his name.

Is it possible for me, his son, to drive the car from the USA into Canada on his behalf? All the paperwork is under my father's name...I will be the one driving the car to the border. Does anyone know if this is OK? I have not found anything that states the rules on who can actually import the car.
YES!!! It doesn't matter if it's you bringing the car over. As long as you have all the paperwork related to the car you are driving back. But bring your passport or citizenship card just to be sure about your identity. US Customs did not even ask for ID. The certificate of title and bill of sale are the only documents they care about. Lewiston-Queenston Bridge is very particular about the 72-hr notice. DO NOT think they will process your car by talking to them if you're under the 72-hr notice. They will NOT process it. I saw it first-hand when I was there yesterday morning.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)