Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Aug 13, 2006
10 posts
Does anyone know how many cars you can import at a time? or is there a limit per year? I have found some REALLY great deals that I know could easily sell here. Im wondering if I could do 3 at a time with out too much hassle.
Aug 13, 2006
532 posts
HTPCUSER wrote:Does anyone know how many cars you can import at a time? or is there a limit per year? I have found some REALLY great deals that I know could easily sell here. Im wondering if I could do 3 at a time with out too much hassle.
I'm no expert, but I think you'd need to get an export/import license and such if you're looking to resell imported cars in Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5862 posts
1921 upvotes
Ottawa
Harkonnen wrote:I'm no expert, but I think you'd need to get an export/import license and such if you're looking to resell imported cars in Canada.
I don't believe there is such a thing as an import/export license in Canada (although some countries do have them). In theory, if you are doing this as a business you *should* register as a business and get the proper licenses (and there might be some advantages as you might be able to get out of paying GST (but your customers have to pay it) but in practice, you could easily just sell a few them them privately (obviously if you are trying to sell 20 cars/week, you might start getting some problems). Sellling used cars privately as a business is called 'curbsiding' and has gotten a very bad rap and may even be illegal but I think the fuss is mostly from used car dealers and used car dealer associations.
Dec 26, 2004
620 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
I think someone should compile this info and write an RFD article...like a how-to article...

--TheDonald
Oct 16, 2005
35 posts
I just see this thread and is too much to read. But I see that most of the discussion is around Honda and Subaru. I just want to tell you that my friend got a used BMW Z4 from States, and everything is cool. He told me he saves tons of money (close to CDN$10K) and he fixed up something last month and the warranty is all good in Canada too.

Just want to tell you guys.
Mar 2, 2005
999 posts
2 upvotes
do carter subaru exports any pre owned cars? and if they do, do they certify them (like how toyota/lexus does with their used cars)?

i'm looking to get a 05/06 legacy. would that make it a much more complicated process compared to getting a new vehicle if i were to get it through the dealer?

thanks
Flickr

Toronto lifestyle wedding photography
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Since I am only looking for a new car, I can't say if Carter Subaru will export a slightly used car.

Try asking Joe Spitz at Carter Subaru.

His email address is joe@cars101.com
Aug 2, 2006
188 posts
OK....there is definitely a lot of speculation and mis-information being thrown about here so let me see if I can clear it up.

You may only import a car in to Canada if it is either less then 14 days from the factory or been on a car dealership's lot for over 6 months. The reason for this is demographics.

There are also the following restrictions:

1. Green, Red and Blue (solid) cars are not subject to additional taxes. All metallic colored paint is subject to a 6.35% luxury tax.

2. Black paint is not allowed at all as US black paint does not conform to CSA standards nor the worldwide regulatory body WBPC for paints.

3. All American gas pedals must be replaced with Canadian versions as typically American feet are a 1/4" fatter.

4. You may NOT display an American dealerships decal on a car being imported in to Canada.

5. American cars with a hemi engine (Dodge) need to be replaced with a comparable V8 version as the Canadian Association of Fuel Conservists have a class action lawsuit against the makers of Hemi.

6. All imported US models must weight physically more then their Canadian counterparts by at least 100 kilos (not pounds). This is not seen as a big obstacle as you can put bricks in the trunk to get around this restriction.

7. All imported US "fast cars" such as Hondas, Subarus, Mazdas, etc. (especially neon colored with big spoilers) must be pre-prepped for NOS and be able to "drift" at ridiculous speeds.

These restrictions are DIRECTLY from the RIV site....

Now you know.
Aug 13, 2006
10 posts
samsquatch99 wrote:OK....there is definitely a lot of speculation and mis-information being thrown about here so let me see if I can clear it up.

You may only import a car in to Canada if it is either less then 14 days from the factory or been on a car dealership's lot for over 6 months. The reason for this is demographics.

There are also the following restrictions:

1. Green, Red and Blue (solid) cars are not subject to additional taxes. All metallic colored paint is subject to a 6.35% luxury tax.

2. Black paint is not allowed at all as US black paint does not conform to CSA standards nor the worldwide regulatory body WBPC for paints.

3. All American gas pedals must be replaced with Canadian versions as typically American feet are a 1/4" fatter.

4. You may NOT display an American dealerships decal on a car being imported in to Canada.

5. American cars with a hemi engine (Dodge) need to be replaced with a comparable V8 version as the Canadian Association of Fuel Conservists have a class action lawsuit against the makers of Hemi.

6. All imported US models must weight physically more then their Canadian counterparts by at least 100 kilos (not pounds). This is not seen as a big obstacle as you can put bricks in the trunk to get around this restriction.

7. All imported US "fast cars" such as Hondas, Subarus, Mazdas, etc. (especially neon colored with big spoilers) must be pre-prepped for NOS and be able to "drift" at ridiculous speeds.

These restrictions are DIRECTLY from the RIV site....

Now you know.
You forgot to add that if you buy a PINK car there are zero fees to import :cheesygri

For those that just dont get it PLEASE IGNORE THE ABOVE POST!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
So much misinformation samsquatch99.

There was an amendments signed last year under the NAFTA automotive export pact between Canada and the US, that now only permits Red and White cars to be imported.

There is only a surcharge on Blue cars.

You can't fill up an American car with Canadian gasoline as the US cars needs gallons of gas and our stations only supply litres. (Don't even try syphoning a US gallon through the metric hoses).

There is a way around this, you can order a universal gasoline conversion kit which allows you to pump in foreign fuel. It does VOID your warranty.

One last thing, the US cars measure distance in miles so you odometer won't even rack up any digits when the car is driven up North. You need to be extra careful when doing oil changes or any maintenance since the odometer won't move while in Canada --> hence the problem with warranties. The added bonus is that you can sell a car back to the unsuspecting American with hardly any mileage on it. They've been doing this for years to us with the Florida or similar state (low mileage collector cars)
Mar 2, 2005
999 posts
2 upvotes
i just realized carter subaru is on the west coast...are there any subaru dealers around buffalo or detroit which anyone would recommend?
Flickr

Toronto lifestyle wedding photography
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Contact Northtownauto in Buffalo.

They sell to Canadians AND sell about 20 different models including Toyota, Lexus, Mazda, Chrysler, etc...

http://www.northtownauto.com/

Another huge dealer is West Herr.

www.westherr.com

This dealership is WNY's biggest volume dealer and one of the largest in the US. According to reports, they sold over 20,000 cars last year.

"Keep buying in the US until the Canadian dealers mend their ways"...

Some are noticing already. I keep reminding them.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
236 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote:Contact Northtownauto in Buffalo.

They sell to Canadians AND sell about 20 different models including Toyota, Lexus, Mazda, Chrysler, etc...

www.westherr.com

This dealership is WNY's biggest volume dealer and one of the largest in the US. According to reports, they sold over 20,000 cars last year.

These are NEW car dealers?
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Aug 2, 2006
188 posts
Monsieurmaggot wrote:
You can't fill up an American car with Canadian gasoline as the US cars needs gallons of gas and our stations only supply litres. (Don't even try syphoning a US gallon through the metric hoses).
Excellent point....I would've been caught with a dumbfounded look on my face the first time I tried to fill up!!!

You've just saved me a ton of embarassment !!!
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2330 posts
316 upvotes
North Vancouver
Monsieurmaggot wrote:Contact Northtownauto in Buffalo.

www.westherr.com

Can anybody recommended some big dealer in the west? Thanks a lot!
Mar 12, 2005
987 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Would someone please be willing to summarize this thread in an RFD Article (similar to the ones on Savings Accounts and Memberworks programs)?

I know it would be a bit of work, but it would provide an incredible service to the RFD community

thanks
Winner of an XBox 360... Wednesday October 26th

On December 24th 2005, Trolldealhunter wrote "i dont want to see this year going to waste, last year the Tsunami made me miss the deals" ... talk about perspective when it comes to Boxing Day deals...
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1807 posts
698 upvotes
Calgary
I just thought I would let everyone who was interested know that I got my car across the border and am vacationing with it in BC right now.

The whole process of coming across at Blaine took a whopping 0.5hrs and the customs agents on both sides of the border were fantatsic.
The Canadian customs agent even did all the paperwork.

Of course most of the ease of crossing was due to all the excellent info here.
The Canadian agent looked at my binder of prep work and said "you're organised.....most people aren't when they come here". :D

I may write an article similiar to the MR2 link in the thread.
Aug 2, 2006
188 posts
z_squared wrote:Would someone please be willing to summarize this thread in an RFD Article (similar to the ones on Savings Accounts and Memberworks programs)?

I know it would be a bit of work, but it would provide an incredible service to the RFD community

thanks
Off you go then.
Nov 6, 2002
115 posts
15 upvotes
Montreal
I'm about to import an Outback 2.5I 2007 from Vermont. I'm in Montreal. I will go there on Sept 1. I can provide a lift if anybody interested to import one at the same time.

I think a got a good price. PM me if you want more details.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)